2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2011 2:43 AM by Ringrosa RSS

How to get sling box to my tv

Ringrosa

Ok I haven't purchased a sling box pro hd yet just wanted To see if there is a way to get it to my tv.  My wife is Japanese and they just started selling the sling box in Japan.  She wants to watch Japanese tv while we are in the USA we are moving in November. Now I know you can wath it on your pc, mac iPad and so on but she wants to watch it on our tv that will be in our living room. I told her that we would have to hook a computer up to the tv but she said that the sales man said that if you have a tv with Internet you don't have to hook a pc up to it. I don't think he is right but my wife said that it had to be a Sony tv I still don't think this is right I have googled it and have came up with nothing. If anybody has any ideas or knows anything it would be a great help for me.

• Re: How to get sling box to my tv
          chakkarinen Apprentice

I see stories on the Internet about many TVs that now have some Internet connectivity capability -- even with keyboards -- but they don't seem to be configured to operate exactly like a computer so that you could open a web browser to go ANYWHERE on the Internet.   Instead, the TV manufacturers have negotiated contracts with specific content providers (such as Netflix, and others) to stream specific types of content to their TVs from the Internet.   See, for example,

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SV422XVT-42-Inch-Class-Internet/dp/B0036DDHSU

So perhaps the issue is whether Slingmedia specifically has negotiated streaming agreements with any TV manufacturer to stream their content -- a question that I have no answer to.

• Re: How to get sling box to my tv
              Ringrosa

i did some gooleing an found out that you cant. my friend has a brand new sony tv and it has a web browser and it went to slingbox website and then went to watch it was thinking for a little bit and i thought it was going to work but then it said the browser doesnt support this function. so i just purchased a mac mini and connected it to my samsung 46 inch tv and did it that way it looks pretty good so far. going to need some adjustments but all in all worked pretty good. thanks for the help though.