7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2011 10:30 AM by Jeroen1602 RSS

Sling Pro HD Dutch

Jeroen1602

I have a Digital UPC Set top box in the Netherlands.

I want to watch Dutch TV in Thailand.

I want to buy SLING Pro so that the home viewers can watch

different channels than the remote viewers. I dnt care too much about

the HD quality. Although I have a intenet connection in Thailand which

is 4 mb ( SD require 600 kb/s and HD 1.5 MB/s) so I could watch HD quality,

biut may cable subscription is right now oly Digital and not HD.

My friend in Thailand bought a SLING Solo and it is working well.

Now my question. I read different answers about the remote viewers versus the

home viewers. My cable goes into my Digital set top box which is connected through

SCART to my Plasma TV. I would like to give the home viewers an analog signal and

send the digital signal converted by my Digital cable box to Thailand through my Sling Box.

Or in worse case the other way around. Does the cable send two signals. Can I have one being analog

going directly in my TV and the other signal digital going through my Digital Set top box and with the

Sling Box to Thailand. Some people are mentioning that you will need to Digital Set Top Boxes to this.

Hiow does the cable work regarding digital versus analog and where to split the signal through the coax

splitter. I hope to get some better understanding through this forum. Thank you

• Re: Sling Pro HD Dutch
          alanrichey42 Master
          Although I have a intenet connection in Thailand which is 4 mb ( SD require 600 kb/s and HD 1.5 MB/s) so I could watch HD quality,

Your Thailand internet connection is not relevant.  The one that is important is the upload speed of the internet connection in Holland.

Does the cable send two signals.

You are the only person who can answer this, no-one here can help.  Just look on the back.  Are there 2 SCART outputs ?  Or maybe a SCART and a separate component output ?   But remember there will still only be a single channel available (unless it is a dual channel tuner).   So regardless if you use separate outputs to the TV and the Slingbox, or whether you take the SCART output into the Slingbox and then use the pass-through connectors to drive the TV, both the local and the remote viewers will have to watch the same channel.

How does the cable work regarding digital versus analog and where to split the signal through the coax

splitter. I hope to get some better understanding through this forum. Thank you

Again we can't help, as this is not a Slingbox issue, it all depends on the design and capability of your Cable box.   You need to talk to your TV provider to get the answers.

Perhaps this will help your understanding.  Think of the Slingbox as simply like an extra TV that just happens to send it's output down the Internet (to be picked up in Thailand) instead of to a screen in Holland.   So ask all the same questions of yourself and your TV provider but substitute 'another TV in the bedroom' for 'Slingbox'.   That should give you the answers.

OK ?

Jeroen1602

I understand the answers so what it is the function of the build in tuner of the Sling Box Pro,

if you still have to watch the same channel as the home viewers. It is especially mentioned as

a benefit to watch different channels.

It is mentioned that you need 600 kb/s (SD)  and 1.5 MB/s ( HD) bandwith. I assume did is download speed.

Not upload speed. If you measure your internet line and it is measured 4 MB download speed at the receiving end

than that is looks oke. Of course you need sufficient upload speed at the upload end but the questions is how much ??

alanrichey42 Master
                  I understand the answers so what it is the function of the build in tuner of the Sling Box Pro,

if you still have to watch the same channel as the home viewers. It is especially mentioned as

a benefit to watch different channels.

Yes, but only if you have unencrypted TV either direct from the wall or over-the-air (In the UK we have Freeview).  You talk about having a Cable box, and that normally means that the signal you receive from your Cable provider is encrypted, in which case the built-in tuner will not work.

My final comment still applies.   if you can go and buy a TV for your bedroom and simply plug it into the wall, then you  can do the same with your Slingbox.   If you would have to buy/rent another Cable box for a second TV, you will have to do the same for a Slingbox.

It is mentioned that you need 600 kb/s (SD)  and 1.5 MB/s ( HD) bandwith. I assume did is download speed.

Not upload speed. If you measure your internet line and it is measured 4 MB download speed at the receiving end

than that is looks oke. Of course you need sufficient upload speed at the upload end but the questions is how much ??

No, I am afraid those figures are for the upload speed at the Slingbox location.  As I said, the download speed at the receiving site is normally irrelevant as it will always be well above the upload speed at the sending site.  And those figures are fairly accurate, although I do watch my UK Sky TV when I am overseas and my upload speed in the UK is only about 400kb/s.  It isn't much good but just about watchable.

Although again you have to remember that the Slingbox Pro-HD ONLY displays HD on the LAN, i.e the same location.  If you are watching remotely it sends what they call High Quality (HQ) which is not true HD.

Jeroen1602

I am just thinking. The cable comes into my house and it is split in two lines one for living room

and one for the bedroom. The people in the bedroom can watch different channels than in the living room.

Now if I split the cable in the living again. Than I put one line in my TV for analog and the other cable line in my Digital cable.

Than I connect the digital cable box with the Sling PRO and I can use the built in tuner to manage the digital channelsfrom remote distance.

Alternatively I can but the analog cable my SLING Pro Box and send the other line into the digital set top box which is connected

with a SCART cable to my TV. The analog channels and the digital channels are send over the same cable in different frequencies.

alanrichey42 Master

Yes that ought to work.  But don't split the cable, that will introduce signal losses.  Use the co-ax pass-through option on the Slingbox.

The difference will be that if you use the analog to the Slingbox and digital to the TV option then you will simply change the analog channel on the Slingbox using the virtual on-screen remote.   if you use the digital option on the Slingbox you will have to plug in the IR Blaster and use that to change the channel on the digital set-top box.

Jeroen1602

To add on the situation. The cable is split into two lines. In bedroom I was analog TV.

In the living room I watch  digital TV with a Digital set top box, If I dnt put the digital set top box

on that I watch also analog tv in the living room.

If I will use the cable in the bedroom. Than can I take the TV away and only use the built in tuner

of the SLING PRo Box. Otherwise I use the risk that someoneis changing the channels in thebedroom.

Just hook te SLING Box to the cable without TV. Why would you use a TV.

alanrichey42 Master
                        If I will use the cable in the bedroom. Than can I take the TV away and only use the built in tuner

of the SLING PRo Box. Otherwise I use the risk that someoneis changing the channels in thebedroom.

Just hook te SLING Box to the cable without TV. Why would you use a TV.

No, you still haven't understood.  If you use the analog signal in the bedroom then just plug the coax into the Slingbox then pass it through to the TV, just as you would have done with a VCR in the olden days.   Because ALL the analog channels are carried simultaneously on the cable the Slingbox can select one channel and the TV can select another without interfering.  In the same way you could have set the VCR to record one channel while watching another.  Both the TV and the Slingbox have their own built-in analog tuners so can operate independently.

And again, going back to my apparently hopeless effort to keep it simple, if you bought another analog TV you could split the cable in the bedroom, plug in both TVs and you could watch one channel while your wife watched another one.   So you can do the same with a Slingbox.

Digital is different.   Although all the digital channels are all there on the cable, the set top box takes the channel you have selected, decrypts it and outputs it on a single analog channel (Normally 3 or 4) via the coax.   So if you connected both the Slingbox and the TV to that single coax output then you could not watch different channels as you change channels on the cable box rather than on the Slingbox and TV tuners.

Are we there yet ?