13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2014 4:27 PM by pacman23 RSS

Guest Account

mfhood

Hi I have setup a new Slingbox and during the setup it had me create a password for guest access. How do I give this access without giving the guest my admin login information? Thanks!

• Re: Guest Account
          Apprentice

Hi mfhood,

The best way to do this is creating another Sling Account for the guest user, it will only have the Slingbox ID there, so the guest will not have your admin password, only the guest password and with this is not possible to change any Slingbox settings. Have a look at this link;

How to create a guest user Slingbox password and Sling Account

Hope this helps

Regards

Ump25 Newbie

That does NOT work because the instructions are incorrect Your link explained:

1. Go to the Sling Accounts webpage (see link to the right).
              2. If you are automatically logged in to your existing Sling Account, click logout
              3. Follow  the steps to create a NEW Sling Account for your guest user - it's  recommended that you use the guest's email address as a login and create  a unique password just for them!

However, there is NO such "Sling Accounts" web page that is linkable as explained in the instructions! Try it yourself and you will see that there is no such link present to create a guest account.

I've been trying for two frickin' days to set up a guest account for my father and brother, and because the instructions are so terribly unclear and confusing, I have been totally unsuccessful!

alanrichey42 Master

See my reply in your duplicate post.

Apprentice
                    However, there is NO such "Sling Accounts" web page that is linkable as explained in the instructions! Try it yourself and you will see that there is no such link present to create a guest account.

The link on the right (top) should be your email address, if you click on it, it will take you to the Sling Accounts page, if you are already logged, go to the directory, click on Edit and you will see the Slingbox ID, copy that number so you can add the Slingbox in the Guest Account.

To create the Guest Account, you just need to log out from you account, then click on log in and select "Don't have an account? Sign Up", then you will be able to add the Slingbox ID with the instructions on the link I pasted before

If you still have issues to get to the Sling Accounts page, just use http://accounts.sling.com

Hope this helps

Ump25 Newbie

That process doesn't work. We've tried it. We had to go to a different URL for creating one's account.

Tyrolis

Hello Ump,

I hope you figured it out as it really not like what you see on that page people keep sending people to.  What I did  I learned by sending myself an invitation to an alternate emial via logging out,select Watch and then 'Don't have an account? Sign Up.' and putting the email address in there.  So yes, that process will send a code to your guest but when they log into Slingbox.com they will need a Guest Password.  That can only be setup, as far as I know, by downloading the SlingPlayer for Windows Version 2.0, installing it and then going into the box setup. Open the SlingPlayer for Windows program, sign in, goto Settings then Setup Assitant.  Once the Setup Assistant loads go into Setup your Slingbox and in there you will see the Guest Password field.  Set it or change it there and then send your guest the password and they should be able to log in. Problem with me is that I already setup two friends and forgot the password so I will probably stop them from connecting as I can't see the password so it has to be changed.  Good Luck!

Tyrolis

I am in the same boat as the OP.  I figured out the part about logging out and creating a new user but this not the way these seemingly outdated steps outline.  Instead, the setup requires the guest to set it up with a code that is sent to the email.  Do I need to send him my Slingbox code?  I guess that is the way it works.  If Step 3 was clearer/ written out maybe this would be accepted as the way it work but instead it implies that I will be able to setup a guest account and send them the login and password and that is all.

alanrichey42 Master
                                I am in the same boat as the OP.  I figured out the part about logging out and creating a new user but this not the way these seemingly outdated steps outline.  Instead, the setup requires the guest to set it up with a code that is sent to the email.  Do I need to send him my Slingbox code?  I guess that is the way it works.  If Step 3 was clearer/ written out maybe this would be accepted as the way it work but instead it implies that I will be able to setup a guest account and send them the login and password and that is all.

It looks as though the documentation hasn't kept up with the new implementation.   Assuming you have created the account then go to https://slingaccounts.slingmedia.com/Accounting/Web/Account.html   Log in and use the 'Register new Slingbox' option' and enter the details.  See http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000153.html if you are not sure about the ID.

Then when your 'Guest' goes to http://watch.slingbox.com and logs on using the new E-Mail and password they will see your Slingbox and be able to watch.

Ump25 Newbie

alanrichey42 wrote:

It looks as though the documentation hasn't kept up with the new implementation.   Assuming you have created the account then go to https://slingaccounts.slingmedia.com/Accounting/Web/Account.html   Log in and use the 'Register new Slingbox' option' and enter the details.  See http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000153.html if you are not sure about the ID.

Then when your 'Guest' goes to http://watch.slingbox.com and logs on using the new E-Mail and password they will see your Slingbox and be able to watch.

THAT is the correct link, and one that finally works.

alanrichey42 Master
                              The best way to do this is creating another Sling Account for the guest user, it will only have the Slingbox ID there, so the guest will not have your admin password, only the guest password and with this is not possible to change any Slingbox settings. Have a look at this link;

How to create a guest user Slingbox password and Sling Account

Fofo:  What he is trying to tell you is that that page is NOT working.

Image1.jpg

If I click on that link you are talking about it simply takes me back to the same page, it doesn't take to the correct page.

Does it work for you ?

Apprentice

You're right Alan, it's not working for me either. We'll advise soon after we fix it 

pacman23

why not just  have on the main page  that says  Guest user      ...  make it that easy to use

all u haveto do is goto   slingbox.com  then u see at tha top  guest user click that and log in  .. make it simple  and  then make a video demo showing  make a guest user and  then logging in ???    make it simple