15 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2011 10:09 PM by npwhite RSS

Mac Slingplayer stopped connecting w/usb stick!

azdub

Hi everyone, I've been watching my slingbox nonstop for 3 years using wireless internet. Or course, right when the NBA playoffs roll into town, my internet goes out and t-mobile can't fix it for a while. I am using a USB internet stick for interent now until the problem is fixed. However, I can no longer connect to my slingbox now! At the bottom of the Slingplayer it will say that it is Trying to connect... and then it says Connected, and then it just goes blank.  When I try it again the same thing happens, it doesn't say that it can't connect; it just connects and then goes blank.  I tried to go on slingbox.com and that didn't work either. A error message stating that I hav eot check my router, firewall settings etc. came up. I don't understand it! Please help!!! I have a N24 Internet stick powered by Vodafone and I have a second one by t-mobile web n' walk stick III. Thanks for the help!!!

• Re: Mac Slingplayer stopped connecting w/usb stick!
          Dexter2

I had a similar problem here. My Slingbox is working fine in my Slingplayer Mobile using the same network than the MAC. However with the MAC is just connecting and nothing else. It was working fine for the first weeks but suddlenly, stoped to work...

johnnygeneric

Dexter2,

I'm having the exact problem.  (Remotely) I have a Macbook Air that is connected to the internet.  I set up internet sharing with my iPhone.  My iPhone can stream from the Slingbox with no problems.  But the Mac version seems to try half heartedly to connect.  Says to wait.  1 second later it says "connected" but nothing happens!!

Pray tell, how can the iPhone play back but not the Mac version???

jimdaniels100

Froggie

I am having the same problem as Dexter2 and JohnnyGeneric. We can access our slingbox remotely via our PC but not using our Mac.  It just stopped working :-(

Have either of you managed to solve the problem?  The trouble shooting tips have not helped ....

Thanks!

johnnygeneric

Froggie,

No.  I'm still experiencing the problem.  I did notice that on the Slingbox website they have a box you can click on to get online help.  They use Logmein to access your computer.  I think they takeover the computer with the Logmein and try to fix the problem for you.  You get 90 days free help.  I plan on taking adavantage of this.

It just doesn't make any sense at all that watching slingplayer on the MBA will NOT work, but the stupid iPhone via the internet sharing connection THROUGH the MBA WILL work.

jimdaniels100 (aka johnnygeneric)

johnnygeneric

Hah!

My wife arrived with the PC Toshiba laptop.  Started Slingplayer and wham!  we're watching TV.

But the Mac....nada.

jimdaniels100 aka johnnygeneric

Froggie

Hah is right!  And in the "not so funny" kind of way.

We are still experiencing problems with our Mac.  The Singbox helpdesk says its related to port forwarding from the home router which doesn't really make sense since it's forwarding perfectly fine to the PC!

I'm still trying to resolve our issue and will let you know if we make a breakthrough.

johnnygeneric

Froggie,

It's the Mac software.  What else can it be?? The guts or algorithm used in the software and the browser viewing must be identical (but not necessarilly so) since I can't get either working.

It can't be the home network since as you said your remote PC computer/laptop connects just fine.  The same with me.  And then, it can not be the internet connection for me since my iPhone can Internet Share through the Mac and connect to the slingbox.  The fault can not be laid anywhere except with the Slingplayer software.

The alternate explanation is if there is any "handshaking" (for lack of a better term) that goes on between the Mac Slingplayer software and the Slingbox company server. Then there must be a change on that end that "disses" the Slingplayer software on Mac computers. But that is a real, real SWAG.

johnnygeneric

Apprentice

Hi azdub and Dexter2, have you check this article?, it may come handy to troubleshoot this issue.

Internet Viewing has stopped working and I am currently at home

Internet Viewing has stopped working and I am not at home

Best regards,

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderator Team

MouradHamza

Im having the same problem.

I can connect to my slingbox with the iphone but it's not working on the mac osx slingplayer (It keeps connecting and disconnecting).

The Iphone and the mac are on the same network.

Did u guys resolve this problem?

johnnygeneric

Hi Mourad,

Well, it's funny you should post now.  The answer is no.  However, AS OF TODAY I did get the web version to work.  I used Apple Safari.  The website installed a new version of something and it works pretty good.  It would never work before.

But now I've run into a new issue with the DVR itself and it is not related to the Slingbox. We can't get access to recorded shows.  I'm going to have to have my daughter call ATT and hopefully get that issue resolved.

I sure wish there was a solution that did not require so much effort and time to get to work.  I'm using Orb to watch programs I've recorded off of Hulu.  Orb is free but has in the past just been a pain in the REAR to get to work consistently. Looks like now they finally got all of the bugs worked out...for now.

I switched to Slingbox thinking if I paid for it (Orb is free) I would have fewer issues.  Still issues....just different ones.

I hope the Safari Browser app works for you as it does for me!

johnnygeneric

eferz Expert

MouradHamza wrote:

Im having the same problem.

I can connect to my slingbox with the iphone but it's not working on the mac osx slingplayer (It keeps connecting and disconnecting).

The Iphone and the mac are on the same network.

Did u guys resolve this problem?

It could be a corupted file.  You might consider reinstalling the Slingplayer client. I don't know if you're using either the Web Slingplayer plug-in or Slingplayer Desktop.  But, using the other if one fails can help in troubleshooting by process or elimination.