5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2011 10:17 AM by jimfitzgerald RSS

IR Blaster connect to 2 devices

Slingbuser Newbie

The IR blaster has two emitters. Do I need both attached to the same device. Can I have one attached to my VCR and one to my DVD player ? I was thinking Of using a 2 to 1 RCA cable for my slingbox composite input so that I can have both my VCR and DVD composite out connected to the box. If I switch my Slingplayer remote control between my VCR and my DVD player. I can watch output from my VCR and DVD at will. I understand that the video quality may be affected by using the 2 to 1 RCA cable.

• Re: IR Blaster connect to 2 devices
          alanrichey42 Master
          The IR blaster has two emitters. Do I need both attached to the same device. 

No, they are designed to be used as you are suggesting.

I was thinking Of using a 2 to 1 RCA cable for my slingbox composite input so that I can have both my VCR and DVD composite out connected to the box. If I switch my Slingplayer remote control between my VCR and my DVD player. I can watch output from my VCR and DVD at will.

Not a good idea, as to switch between them you will keep having to run the setup routine.  If you only have RCA composite outputs available then get an RCA to S-Video conversion lead and plug the second device into the S-Video slot.  That way you can very quickly switch inputs.

Slingbuser Newbie

Thanks to both answers

Hi alanrichey42, you comment "Not a good idea, as to switch between them you will keep having to run the setup routine" is something that I don't like too. However I noticed that once I set up the 'remote control'  from one PC, the other SlingPlayer of another PC will have the same set up. It looks like that the set up is on the server. I was wondering if there is a way to have the set up remembered at the PC level (i.e. the remote in SLingPlayer on one PC is set up to control the DVD player and the set up for my 2nd PC is for my VCR) . Then I can just use the right PC to view what I like. 

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

I am doing basically what you describe to connect my Slingbox Solo to a U-Verse DVR and a Roku.  I have the DVR connected with component cables and the Roku connected with composite or S-video (I don't remember which).  The only thing I had to use splitters for was the L/R audio from the two devices to the Slingbox since the Slingbox only has one pair of audio inputs.  It works well using my laptop or Droid.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

This is really very simple just plug in the two devices using the different inputs into the Slingbox.  Get splitter cables for your audio inputs and you're done.  When you set them up in the software, you will set each up according to it's input device type.  You will choose the correct remote for each and you' done.  Now, when watching one or the other, you will need to turn-off the other source or turn the volume down lest you will hear volume from both sources at the same time.