6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2011 9:11 AM by bkilinski Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Invalid certificate

kmath

Occasionally a message about an invalid cerificate pops up on my computer.  It says "beta.sling.com:443 uses an invalid security certificate".  It does not affect my viewing.  beta.sling.com links to a site called DISH online which is also run by Sling Media and seems offer video rental.  I cannot recall ever signing up for this service, and why would it be using an invalid cerificate?  Or is it a spoof/virus?  Does Sling Media have anything to say about it?

• Re: Invalid certificate
          Apprentice

Hi, kmath

It seems that you are having some issues with the connection to the Slingbox.com website, since it shows the information about an error message.

First, we want to thank you for bringing this situation to our attention. This situation has already been escalated and we are working in order to get a solution for this issue. We can only encourage you to keep on using the application and checking the website at www.slingbox.com in order to find any related update. 

Regards

bkilinski

I access Slingbox on multiple computers and I receive this same error message on every computer I use. I only use Mozilla FireFox to access my slingbox and am running the latest version of the browser (7.01). Hope this helps.

justinosu

Same issue, possibly FireFox update related.

Johnboy2112

I actually completely uninstalled the service from my computer and this messge is still coming up daily.  believe it is a sniffing program that slingbox has covertly installed inside my firefox. For that reason I will never use or recomend Slingbox to anyone.

bkilinski

I got a similar window that Johnboy2112 posted (if not the same). I was getting it a lot in August, September, and some of October, but have not seen it recently on any of the computers I use to access the slingbox. I performed the following to seemingly make the messages go away:

• Update Slingbox Firmware
                    • Update to latest Firefox version (don't use it with IE or chrome
                    • Run Windows Updates every month (my client computers use Windows XP 32-bit, Windows 7 32-bit, and Windows 7 64-bit)

I'll post again if the certificate message shows its ugly face again. hopefully this post will help someone with the problem.

AlanMT

I, too, have recently got this certificate error after - reluctantly - upgrading Mozilla Forefox from version 3 to the most recent version 8. Searching on the error on answers.slingbox.com › ... › Slingbox Software UpdatesDiscussions someone has suggested just to allow the certificate as an exception to stop it being flagged up. Not sure whether that is a safe thing to do butdid it anyway.