I have this problem and have been unable to watch remotely for over 2 weeks now.
Trying to view from Northern Italy - SB is in Florida
I have called SlingMedia CustSupp 12 times and gotten through once
I have IM'd SlingMedia CustSupp (SMCS) 3 times and was told to call the CS number each time
I have posted other places here but no one has piped-in - here are the details:
- SlingBox Pro-HD (resides in Central FL) - Frimware v2.1.90 from last reset
- ISP is Brighthouse Networks
- Home Net uses a Netgear N600 (WNDR3400) latest Firmware (V220.127.116.11_16.0.48)
Symptoms in Italy:
- Login to service using SBPlayer Plugin for IE or Firefox - same problem using either, tried both - both have latest upgrade
- Click on Watch
- Goes through Authorization/initialization/Auto Connecting...
- Get message "Error connecting to <insert Slingbox name here> Slingbox. Try again blah, blah, bah..." - Yes or No buttons below
- Usually try Yes two or three times and finally hit No and get out
- Logout and continue cursing loudly
- Via IM contacted Support who, understandably, begin to read from the manual to try and address the issue
- While in Italy they always informed us that we would have to fly back home and reset our box on the home network - sigh
- Well, luckily, my wife had to travel to the USA this week and would be stopping at home to visit her Mom who is ill - so yea, a perfect opportunity to troubleshoot the device
Symptoms at Home in FL:
- Guidence from SMCS was to "hard" reset the box to factory defaults - we got a couple of answers from SlingMedia on this - the manual says press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds and the Phone rep (we were able to connect to them via phone once in the US with wife on the phone and me on Skype) said hold it in for 15 seconds "just to be sure it takes" - okay my wife held it down for 15 seconds then released the button.
- Waited until both network and power lights were solid on and the SB "horseshoe" was lit and pulsing slowly.
- Login to service using IE and selected "Setup Your Slingbox"
- When it gets to the step trying to connect to our SB it cannot find it - even on the home net
- We are then given the option of SlingBox Directory
- My wife selected that and it seemed that it was able to find the SB
- She was even able to view a small window of live TV while she set up the input (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD) and remote
- That seemed successful
- When she tried to setup internet viewing next the software came back and said that you must be on the same network to setup Internet viewing and there was no way to exit that window gracefully - no cancel or ok button to select - so she just backed out using the browser's Back button.
What SBCS suggested and we have done so far:
- On the Netgrar Router reserved an IP address for the Slingbox - so it will always get the same address
- On Router Setup TCP/UDP Port Fowarding for port 5001 to go to the reserved IP address we set up for the SB on our home network
- The SB rep asked us to make sure that our SlingBox is directly connected to the Router and not via a switch or hub to the router
- It is directly connected - even though we have a fairly complex network (with patch panel) we verified that the SB CONNECTS DIRECTLY TO THE ROUTER - THERE IS NO DEVICE BETWEEN THE TWO BOXES. Sorry, that is in caps in case a SB tech happens to read this post which isn't probable I guess. If they or anyone, want to know how I know this I will recount the methodology for that interested party but not until asked - this post is already too long.
We will be trying again tomorrow (21 Sept 2011) to troubleshoot but I don't know what else we can do from here. I have read tons of other posts here and in Non-SB run forums and most point to a fix after doing some or all of the stuff we have already done. Items we have not tried that I have seen listed as causing the problems are:
- Power adapter
- Firmware bug (reset apparently will always setup a Pro-HD with 2.1.90)
- One more coincidence that I have trouble adding here because I hate supposition but I have to mention that this problem with remote streaming seemed to happen just after we purchased, installed and started using SlingPlayer Mobile for iPad2. SMCS says it is a red herring and cannot be the cause but I felt because the trouble coincides with that installation I have to mention it here.
So, hopefully you see the problem and what we have tried so far. If anyone has any suggestions that may help us watch remotely again we would be grateful.