6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2011 1:18 AM by palmerg RSS

Pro-HD cannot be found and setup for internet Viewing on the Home Network

palmerg Newbie

I have this problem and have been unable to watch remotely for over 2 weeks now.

Trying to view from Northern Italy - SB is in Florida

I have called SlingMedia CustSupp 12 times and gotten through once

I have IM'd SlingMedia CustSupp (SMCS) 3 times and was told to call the CS number each time

I have posted other places here but no one has piped-in - here are the details:

- SlingBox Pro-HD (resides in Central FL) - Frimware v2.1.90 from last reset

- ISP is Brighthouse Networks

- Home Net uses a Netgear N600 (WNDR3400) latest Firmware (V1.0.0.38_16.0.48)

Symptoms in Italy:

- Login to service using SBPlayer Plugin for IE or Firefox - same problem using either, tried both - both have latest upgrade

- Click on Watch

- Goes through Authorization/initialization/Auto Connecting...

-  Get message "Error connecting to <insert Slingbox name here>  Slingbox. Try again blah, blah, bah..." -  Yes or No buttons below

- Usually try Yes two or three times and finally hit No and get  out

- Logout and continue cursing loudly

- Via IM contacted Support who, understandably, begin to read from the manual to try and address the issue

- While in Italy they always informed us that we would have to fly back home and reset our box on the home network - sigh

-  Well, luckily, my wife had to travel to the USA this week and would be  stopping at home to visit her Mom who is ill - so yea, a perfect  opportunity to troubleshoot the device

Symptoms at Home in FL:

-  Guidence from SMCS was to "hard" reset the box to factory defaults - we  got a couple of answers from SlingMedia on this - the manual says press  and hold the reset button for 10 seconds and the Phone rep (we were  able to connect to them via phone once in the US with wife on the phone  and me on Skype) said hold it in for 15 seconds "just to be sure it  takes" - okay my wife held it down for 15 seconds then released the  button.

- Waited until both network and power lights were solid on and the SB  "horseshoe" was lit and pulsing slowly.

- Login to service using IE and selected "Setup Your Slingbox"

- When it gets to the step trying to connect to our SB it cannot find it - even on the home net

- We are then given the option of SlingBox Directory

- My wife selected that and it seemed that it was able to find the SB

- She was even able to view a small window of live TV while she set up the input (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD) and remote

- That seemed successful

-  When she tried to setup internet viewing next the software came back  and said that you must be on the same network to setup Internet viewing  and there was no way to exit that window gracefully - no cancel or ok  button to select - so she just backed out using the browser's Back  button.

What SBCS suggested and we have done so far:

- On the Netgrar Router reserved an IP address for the Slingbox - so it will always get the same address

- On Router Setup TCP/UDP Port Fowarding for port 5001 to go to the reserved IP address we set up for the SB on our home network

-  The SB rep asked us to make sure that our SlingBox is directly  connected to the Router and not via a switch or hub to the router

-  It is directly connected - even though we have a fairly complex network  (with patch panel) we verified that the SB CONNECTS DIRECTLY TO THE  ROUTER - THERE IS NO DEVICE BETWEEN THE TWO BOXES. Sorry, that is in  caps in case a SB tech happens to read this post which isn't probable I  guess. If they or anyone, want to know how I know this I will recount  the methodology for that interested party but not until asked - this  post is already too long.

We  will be trying again tomorrow (21 Sept 2011) to troubleshoot but I  don't know what else we can do from here. I have read tons of other  posts here and in Non-SB run forums and most point to a fix after doing  some or all of the stuff we have already done. Items we have not tried  that I have seen listed as causing the problems are:

- Power adapter

- Firmware bug (reset apparently will always setup a Pro-HD with 2.1.90)

-  One more coincidence that I have trouble adding here because I hate  supposition but I have to mention that this problem with remote  streaming seemed to happen just after we purchased, installed and  started using SlingPlayer Mobile for iPad2. SMCS says it is a red  herring and cannot be the cause but I felt because the trouble coincides  with that installation I have to mention it here.

So,  hopefully you see the problem and what we have tried so far. If anyone  has any suggestions that may help us watch remotely again we would be  grateful.

Cheers,

Gary

• Re: Pro-HD cannot be found and setup for internet Viewing on the Home Network
          chakkarinen Apprentice

Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble watching your Slingbox in FL from IT.   It wasn't clear to me if this is a new problem -- i.e., you were able to watch from Italy before -- or whether you have never been able to access your Slingbox in FL from IT.

First off, the response from Sling Tech that the SB must be directly connected to the router is not true -- both of my Slingboxes are connected to their routers via a network switch and I have no problems with that "non-direct" connection.

I am not familiar with your specific brand of router, but it is always a good idea to program your router to assign a static IP address to the Slingbox, and after you do that, then program the router to forward port 5001 for both the TCP and UDP protocols to that static IP address -- just as you describe.   In my case, I set the static IP addresses to 192.168.xx.254, where the XX are different numbers on my systems because the two routers have different numbers for their defaults in the XX field.  Once I completed the static IP address assignment, and the port forwarding, I then power-cycled both the router and the Slingbox by unplugging their electricity.   When they came back up, the connection worked.

I still suspect that your problem is related to your router and/or modem configuration.   When you go to http://support.slingbox.com/go/home  and login to your account, does it show your Slingbox info, your Internet Viewing info (with the "SetUp Complete:" line marked Yes, along with Public and Private IP addresses and Slingbox Access Info listing Activation Date and Date Last Accessed?

If all of those entries are not complete, then there is still a setup problem.   But if all of that information IS complete, then there could be a problem with your router or ISP blocking the streaming of the Slingbox data.

When your wife visited your Florida home, and did the hard reset, I think the power and network lights going solid means that your Slingbox has electricity (duh!) and that it has an ethernet connection to your router (duh again!).   BUT, if the horseshoe lights continue to pulse and don't turn off, perhaps that means that the Slingbox is still trying to do its "handshake" with the main Sling Media directory.   And until that completes, it is unlikely that anyone will able to view your Slingbox from outside its local area network, even though a computer connected to that local area network may be able to see it fine.   I notice that once I got my Slingboxes working correctly -- and it did take me a few tries -- the horselights only come on when someone is actually accessing the Slinging stream -- and then the lights "run around the horseshoe", rather than pulse as a group.

I don't think the complexity of your network, per se, is the issue.  Especially since you have your Slingbox connected directly to the router.   But I suspect that there is another setting on the router (or the cable modem, or how your ISP handles video streaming) that may be the issue.

palmerg Newbie

"Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble watching your Slingbox  in FL from IT.   It wasn't clear to me if this is a new problem --  i.e., you were able to watch from Italy before -- or whether you have  never been able to access your Slingbox in FL from IT."

Thanks for answering, Chakkarien! Yes we have been happily watching from Italy until about a month ago. We were on vacation and had been using the iPad to watch shows rather than lugging a laptop along. That is whe we got our first "Remote Streaming is not enabled on this device" pop up on the iPad. When we got back to our apatrment in Italy we called a relative in FL and walked them through a reset. That went very smoothly and after only one attempt we were watching again. That entire time we were not using a reserved IP or forwarding the 5001 port on our home network, strange.

About a week later we had got another iPad message and have not been able to watch remotely since. Oh and I forgot to mention that my wife could not even view TV on the Home network whe she was trying the recent reset.

I too was not convinced that a direct connection was necessary but I knew that the tech was following some sort of help desk flow chart so I was willing to go along if it was going to get me to a higher level support person. However, because I had to do some tracing to get him his answer I stupidly hung up and said I would call him back. I have not been able to get through to SB on the phone since that day. Will try again today when my wife feels like trying this all again

"Once I completed the static IP address assignment, and the port  forwarding, I then power-cycled both the router and the Slingbox by  unplugging their electricity.   When they came back up, the connection  worked.

I still suspect that your problem is related to your router and/or modem configuration.   When you go to http://support.slingbox.com/go/home   and login to your account, does it show your Slingbox info, your  Internet Viewing info (with the "SetUp Complete:" line marked Yes, along  with Public and Private IP addresses and Slingbox Access Info listing  Activation Date and Date Last Accessed?"

I did recycle the router power as well. Yes, when I login to the SB web service I see all the support information about the box as you describe. It states Internet Viewing YES even though we never seem to get success at that stage of the procedure (as described in my original post). Here is what it states now:

Internet Viewing

Set Up Complete: Yes

Slingbox Public IP Address: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Slingbox Private IP Address: 192.168.1.25
              Slingbox Port: 5001

We will try again today using the normal procedure. I don't see any benefit in changing the reserved IP to something other than 1.25 but if you have a reason please let me know. One thing I did  not consider that you mentioned was the possibility of the ISP blocking 5001 traffic. I suppose it is possible and I will have the wife call them and ask (that may take a while to determine although I suppose I could check with Wireshark but the wife isn't ready for that yet ). Unless the router is malfunctioning I do not believe IT is blocking that traffic based on the configuration I set up.

"BUT, if the horseshoe lights continue to pulse and don't turn off,  perhaps that means that the Slingbox is still trying to do its  "handshake" with the main Sling Media directory.   And until that  completes, it is unlikely that anyone will able to view your Slingbox  from outside its local area network, even though a computer connected to  that local area network may be able to see it fine."

The documentation is a bit fuzzy on that so when we try today I will make sure that the horseshoe light is "off (?) " or is dark, after the reset before we start the setup. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help!

Gary

PS: I did some addional checking and found this link: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000041.html which seems to say that a pulsing Sling Logo light is normal after reset and before setup. I haven't tried it yet because my wife is still traveling back to FL but I will double check the lights issue later. So, according to SB it seems that a pulsing sling logo light is normal if the box has been reset but not yet setup, which is what I have been seeing.

Message was edited by: palmerg

palmerg Newbie

RESOLUTION for us that is:

Based on other posts I have seen here and other forums we took the SlingBox Power adapter down to the local Batteries Plus and had them test the units output voltage and amperage - it was performing to spec so we figured it was not the culprit in our case.

Before we did anything we tried the reset - setup from begining to end again - same issue SlingBox could not be seen on network.

So, We called:

1. Got through to SlingMedia Cust Service on phone - Tried on wife's BlackBerry no luck - still went in a loop asking for language - Out of despiration tried one of our relative's phones - that got through immediately - Maybe it was the European SIM card don't really don't know

2. Representative was helpful and courteous even though we were a little tense. We had a Trouble Ticket number already and that helped

3. He had us do what he called a "Hard Reset" :

a. Hold Reset button in

b. While still holding the reset button in unplug the power - then plug it back in - still holding the reset button in

c. Continue to hold the reset button for 10 more seconds then release it

4. He really didn't say what was different about this reset but we did it anyway

5. Following his direction we started the Setup on slingbox.com and the exact same thing happened - "your slingbox cannot be located on the network"

6. He put us on hold for less than a minute

7. Came back and asked if the computer we were using to Setup had any Anti-Virus or Firewall SW running

8. It did have Symantec AV - he had us disable it temporarily

9. Started the Reset-Setup procedure

10. This time the SlingBox was found!

11. To set it up for internet viewing he had us do other router related things (some we had already done):

a. Reserved an IP address of 192.168.1.254 for the slingbox - he insisted that it had to be this IP (seemd to be related to using SlingPlayer Mobile for iPad but cannot be certian) - I baulked but did it.

b. For me that meant I had to change the range of IPs my routers DHCP server issues - I had it set to only issue up to 1.200.

c. Port Forwarding for Port 5001 TCP/UDP to 192.168.1.254

12. After that he was able to see the box from his end at SlingMedia as well.

13. Wife tried it from the iPad and I tried it from Italy and we were both able to view again - most importantly my wife is very happy and we won't have to return the 2 Zortek Mags we just bought for our two TVs so we can watch SlingBox on either one anytime.

It seems like a solid fix but only time will tell.

Ciao for now,

Gary

chakkarinen Apprentice

Glad to hear that it is working now, Gary.   I don't buy the SB techs argument that the Slingbox must be on x.x.x.254, else how would you ever connect TWO SBs to the same router?

It definitely sounds to me like your Firewall software was somehow blocking the initial handshake between the SB and the Sling Directory of boxes at their website, or how your devices could connect to it.   And perhaps the hard reset the way the SB tech had you do it was able to clear out some internal parameters in the SB that were "set" when the Firewall was active.   Presumably, you have now been able to turn your Firewall Software back on, AND still have the connections working to your SB.    If so, then I'm betting that you won't have any more problems.

palmerg Newbie

Yes, I agree on the IP issue - That's why I put in the bolded statement in there - one slingbox.

But yes, it works so my wife is happy. I work with computers and it sounds like you do as well, so I am always troubled when I don't know the REASON something worked or the REASON why a certain setting has to be applied.

In this case I am tempted to do some testing using alternate IP addresses but unless it breaks down again I probably won't since it is more important that my wife gets her USA TV abroad, if you know what I mean . It's that little bit of home away from home that allows us to relax together and feel connected.

It would be unusual, and I would consider it poor programming practice, to "hard code" an IP address requirement like that so I do not believe it is a requirement. More likely it is "suggested" in the Cust Service trouble ticket flow chart the reps use. Probably because it is at the highest end of the allowable octal range for the last IPv4 octet so conflicts would be rare.

As far as the "hard reset" goes, that troubles me as well. Like all troubleshooting it is best to try one change at a time so you can determine its overall effect on solving the problem. But here, and all along this process, several things were being changed or manipulated simultaneously so we can really never know what each ones effect was (neutral, negative, positive).

I appreciate you monitoring this thread, making suggestions and sticking with me on this. I thank you and I hope all is well and remains that way for you. As they say here in Italy "En bocca a lupo mi amico" - It is a way of saying Good Luck in what you do.

Arrivederci,

Gary

palmerg Newbie

Issues like this: *For one SlingBox on home network*

1. Make sure you disable Anti Virus and Fire Wall for SETUP process - re enable when complete

2. SlingBox Reserved IP MUST be 192.168.1.254

3. Port 5001 TCP & UDP should be forwarded to 192.168.1.254

4. Have Power Adapter checked for compliance with specs

5. If you are calling the phone for Cust Serv don't use a European phone - US phones seem to work best when calling from the USA that is