9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2011 8:24 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Unable to view ITV1 on SB Pro in UK

themoldy1

With awful timing, I logged into watch the Rugby World Cup on ITV1 via the SB Pro located at my father's house, only to discover the channel has disappeared!

I can view several other Freeview channels, e.g. BBC1 and 2, Pick TV - so there is a signal coming in to the box and being transmitted.

Any help or advice most appreciated as I am getting more desperate as the RWC goes on!!!

Thanks

Ian

• Re: Unable to view ITV1 on SB Pro in UK
          alanrichey42 Master

If your area has just gone through the digital switchover then ALL freeview boxes have to be rescanned to access all the channels.   Have you done a re-scan on the Slingbox ?

themoldy1

Yes -but it only found 45 channels, which is not the full freeview list I think looking at the digital terrestrial channel list for the UK on Wikipedia.

My SB pro is connected to the same aerial as my father's TV, and that can get all the channels. So it's not a problem with e.g. limited multiplex reception.

I'm sure it was working when we set it up some months ago. I haven't been using it very much as I got it in place for the rugby.

alanrichey42 Master

Yes, from memory mine found 54 channels (including ITV), but I guess it depends where you are on the country.   No other thoughts I'm afraid.

themoldy1

We're going to try this setup:

Cable from digital aerial to coax in set-top box

Coax out from set-top box to coax in on DVD player (model supported by SB Pro according to the list in Setup options)

Coax out from DVD player to coax in on SB Pro.

Hopefully somehow the DVD player will convert the digital multiplex signals from the set-top box to analogue (which seems to be the source of the problem according to post from users in the US when they switched over to digital) and then the SB Pro will be able to view all channels.

alanrichey42 Master

Sorry, that makes absolutely no sense at all    As you say, the coax coming out of the wall is a digital signal and that should be picked up by the digital tuner in the SB Pro-HD.   All the pass-throughs you mention do nothing to the signal except pass it through unchanged.  In fact they will all degrade the signal slightly so you should really have your SB as the first in the chain not the last. 

And the fact the DVD is supported is irrelvant as well unless you connect it to the SB via the composite red/white/yellow cables, not the coax.

The fact that it only picks up 45 stations and misses ITV 1 simply means it is probably not picking one of the multiplexed transmissions.  I'm guessing if you went through you would find a few more channels missing, all coming from the same transmitter   All freeview tuners are different so maybe the one in the TV is just a bit more sensitive than the one in the SB.  I would just keep trying, maybe under different weather conditions, to see if it will pick it up.

Just out of curiousity I ran the Setup Assistant on my Pro-HD, selected Antenna (Digital)  and did a 'Perform Detailed Scan'.     I am missing the following channels  8, 34, 35, 39, 41, 42, 45, 50-59, 61-69, 73-79, 83, 84, 86, 88, 90, 91........    after that it becomes a bit irrelevant.   How does that compare with yours ?

themoldy1

Sorry to be clear I have an SB Pro, not the HD version. I am not 100% sure if it has digital capability; from what I've seen on other posts in the USA it is only analogue. But I'm sure it was working ok when we set it up some months ago, but then again I wasn't really using it so perhaps didn't notice the missing channels.

So somehow the digital signal needs to be converted to analogue. In the US they recommend a digital to analogue converter, and there are many types available. But I looked on Amazon.co.uk and couldn'd find any!

My missing channel list is extensive - at least:

3,4,5,6, 12, 13, 14, 15,18, 21, 24, 28, 33...

The DVD player option was out anyway as it doesn't have a Coax in.

So back to Square 1 - looks like RWC write off for another 4 years

alanrichey42 Master
                                  So somehow the digital signal needs to be converted to analogue. In the US they recommend a digital to analogue converter, and there are many types available. But I looked on Amazon.co.uk and couldn'd find any!

But that is what a standard Freeview box does, and you get one of those anywhere for less than £20.   All you would need is a SCART to RCA convertor and you would be good to go.

themoldy1

Ah ok!

Sorry to seem dense - I haven't lived in the UK since before BBC etc. was available via anlogue aerial on your roof!

We managed to get ITV1 by hooking up a set-top box with Scart to RGA; the signal is awful though and it keeps cutting out. I can't change any of the channels (yet) although that's not such an issue as I only want ITV1 at the moment.

Going to try and clear up the signal somehow - maybe by using an internal digital aerial which can be moved around easier.