6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2011 1:02 PM by Slingbuser RSS

Cannot power on Video source over Internet ?

Slingbuser Newbie

I have a SamSung VCR as the video source to my Slingbox solo (for TV viewing).  I can power it on and off using any PC connected to my home network. But I have a strange problem when I am at my friends place (i.e. accessing over Internet) . The Slingplayer detect my Slingbox with no problem. However I was not always able to power on my VCR. Hence I cannot see anything. It works one night but not the next. I have no idea what to check. Its very frustrating as I can always power it on using my PC at home where the slingbox is on the same LAN. But I cannot always use it when I need it (i.e. away from home and need to watch TV)

• Re: Cannot power on Video source over Internet ?
          Slingbuser Newbie

I fixed the problem by trying other SamSung VCRs. I never thought of that because the first one I used work at home. It did not work again last night when I was at my friends place. So I decided to go down the list of SamSung VCRs and finally I got one that works. I don't understand why. If it fails again, I'll do the same until I got one that is working. BTW, none of the VCR listed matched my model. My original choice was also by trial and error.

Slingbuser Newbie

Sorry, I was too fast to jump to conclusion. The problem just come back again. It was working 2 days ago. But fail again today. I was not at my friend's place yesterday.  I tried all the VCRs down the Samsung list with no luck. I even uninstall and reinstall the SlingPlayer. Once again, when I was connected to my Slingbox using my home LAN. Any SamSung VCR I picked will power on the VCR. Could there be anything in my friends Netwrok setup actually stop the remote signal to be sent. The Sling Player detects my SlingBox. But does not matter what I pick using configure  video source under set up assistant, the VCR wil not power on. One more disappointed night for us.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

What is you tv signal source?  Maybe you should get a cable box or another device.  Try connecting at some other WIFI location.

Slingbuser Newbie

My TV cable is connected to a Samsung VCR. I am using the composit output of the VCR as the video source. I was not able to power on the VCR from my friend's place (i.e. over internet connection). So I cannt see anything. It is working one day but not the other. I suspect that the IR signal is not being sent over internet or is intercepted over Internet.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

So, your tv signal source is cable tv.  I would try connecting to the internet somewhere else besides your friend's place and see what happens.  You may need to get a cable box and connect your Slingbox to the cable box.  Or, maybe the IR blaster needs to be replaced or repositioned on your VCR.

Slingbuser Newbie

I think I may have found the problem. After many frustrated occasions (want to watch TV but cannot power on Video source) and many attemp recovery action including re-installing of software and reseting of the Slingbox many times, the problem becomes more solid. I am now not able to power on the box at home 50% of the time. It may be a bad connection inside the IR blaster cable connector or a bad cable connection just inside the rubber (the thicker piece that we use to push or pull the cable). I am sure that the pin is fully pushed into the connector. But I have to bend the connector a little (i.e. apply some pressure side way) in order for it to work every time. I don't know if I need to replace both the connector or the IR blaster cable. I  know that the problem is with the connection part the rest of the cable is right.

Since this is so critical to the functioning of the box, I was wondering if I can solder the cable directly into the circuit so that I do not have to rely of the connector. Is the IR blaster cable made of copper like cable use by headsets which allow me to solder ? Is it easy to open the slingbox to do any soldering. I know that this will void the warranty. I think my warranty is almost over  or is already over.

Any other suggestion will be greatly apprciated.