8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2016 8:02 PM by ryozno RSS

Picture Freezing

mikekmitchell

About a week ago I was watching my slingbox and everything was working fine, then all of a sudden right in the midde of the program I was watching, the picture started freezing. My audio doesn't freeze but the picture does and then it catches up to the audio. Why do you think this happened? I've tried whatever I could think of but it still freezes. I haven't been able to fix it. Please help me if you can. Thanks.

• Re: Picture Freezing
          donbrugger

After a year of using slinngbox HD successfully, I now have the same problem, exactly as you described it, for the past week.  I did speedtest, but NP there.  My son logged on from another location without issue.  I'm going to try from another network tomorrow and see if I can isolate the issue.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially since football season is in full swing.

Graig

I just got my Slingbox HD a few weeks ag and I've always had issues. I started out with the issue you have but resetting the box by unplugging/repugging it fixed it. It comes up every other day and doing that fixes it.

Now, after an update last night, I can't watch more than 30 minutes without it freezing completely and requiring a reboot.

* Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. *

donbrugger

I"m back to functioning, but who knows for how long.  There were other thread on the forum talking about the fact that slingbox doesn't have any active cooling (ie fan) and that its important to keep it away from other heat sources.  We'll see how that works.

chakkarinen Apprentice

I noticed that the top of my Slingbox was getting quite warm(hot) to the touch, so I moved it completely out of my media cabinet, extended its legs so that it sits at least one inch above the hard surface beneath it, and insured that there was nothing above it all to the way up to the room ceiling.   So far, so good on overheating flakiness.

mikekmitchell

Thank you all for your responses, I am away from home and won't be back until Christmas break. I am away at school right now. When I get back home I will try resetting it and see if that fixes the issue. By the way, to the person that said his son tried it on another location and it worked, My mom and dad both tried it from different locations and it did freeze for them as well. Hopefully the resetting of the slingbox will fix all these issues

reznacz Newbie

First you should try decreasing the MTU size on your router from 1500 (default) to lower value like 1465 or similar. The correct value could determined by doing the "ping test". This topic has already been discussed here, try searching for it.

ryozno

so lots of people are having freeze problems, me included. why does sling not have an answer for us? What kind of business sells a product and then leaves its customers swinging in the wind? One that has no interest in referals or resales I guess.