3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2011 6:27 PM by BrandonC RSS

When I change stations on computer, it changes stations on TV.

bdwhokie11

I bought a Slingbox Pro HD with the thought that I could watch TV and the slingbox user could watch another station.  I am connected through a Motorola DCX3400-M (component box) through set-up.  I have the cable going directly into the slingbox (coax in), and from slingbox into the cable box (coax out).  Video cables (red, green, blue)  go from cable box out to slingbox in.  My TV is a Samsung HD set.  What am I doing wrong and what must I do to adjust?  The whole purpose of buying the Pro version was to allow different viewers to watch different stations!  I would be grateful for any assistance. 

• Re: When I change stations on computer, it changes stations on TV.
          BrandonC Novice

Get a cable splitter. Run one cable to the Slingbox, Run the other to the Cable box.

Connect cablebox output to TV, not to Slingbox.

Connect nothing to output of Slingbox.

Go to Setup on Slingbox.com to configure the Coax input.

You will only get basic cable, no premium channels.

If you want the ability to sometime watch what the cable box puts out and other times what the basic cable coax supplies read more here.

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000136.html

bdwhokie11

Thanks for your suggestion, but I thought the whole idea behind the Pro-HD was to allow watching at home while remote user could do so without changing each other's stations.  Otherwise what "good" is the Pro HD vs the lower version?

chakkarinen Apprentice

No, the whole idea behind the Slingbox is to transmit over the the Internet to anywhere in Internet Land the programs that ARE being broadcast through the cable coming out of your wall, or your cable box, or your DVR -- depending on where you put the Slingbox into the system.  But, if you have your TV connected as a direct passthrough to the signal input that is going into the Slingbox, then the TV will mimic whatever you are commanding the Slingbox to do.  So, if you command the Slingbox to change channels, and the TV is connected ONLY to the Slingbox, then the TV will change channels too.

To sling one chanel while watching another channel on the TV, you need to have your TV (also) connected to a signal input that is NOT going through the Slingbox.   Hence, putting a signal splitter upstream of the Slingbox -- typically right after the cable signal comes out of your wall outlet -- so that the TV can get a signal input that is NOT coming from the Slingbox.   You then use the remote of your TV to switch its input signal between "Video 1", "Video 2", etc. -- using the method appropriate to your TV model for connecting multiple input signals to it.