8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2012 3:47 PM by tvgood RSS

Slingbox not recognized on network (SMCD3GNV)

huckknows

I recently moved and a friend gave me a slingbox pro HD, I attempted to hook it up, however it is not recgnized on the network (I get this message when attempting the setup process on the startup slingbox configuration, it is step one, it will say "Locating your slingbox on the network.." then it will say not found)

The slingbox is connected directly to the Xfinity router/modem I was given (SMCD3GNV)

When I go to the Router setup page, I see that the ethernet port is active, the other 3 show inactive, also the Slingbox has both the lights on (the left one is network the right is power?)

I have also changed the Firewall on the router to Custom and selected disable entire firewall.

So am at a loss.  Anyone had experience with this router and setting up the slingbox?

• Re: Slingbox not recognized on network (SMCD3GNV)
          Apprentice

Hi, huckknows

It seems that you are having some issues with your Slingbox PRO HD since you are not able to locate it on your network.

Most of the times, this issue is related to the security software running on your computer. The following link will provide you with further details.

Internet security and personal firewalls

Regards

calfina

I have the exact same problem with comcast and that router.....UUUUGggggg have spent way to much time on this.

chakkarinen Apprentice

While I do not have personal experience with your combination modem and router, I would suggest that you log in to the router, and then program the router (can't find a copy of the manual online, so don't know exactly where to find this instruction for your device) to assign a static ip address to the SB.   So, for example, if your manual indicates that the default IP address for the router is 192.168.10.1, then I would program the router to assign static IP address 192.168.10.254 to the SB.   You will need the MAC ID for the SB, which you should find printed on the bottom of the SB, as well as on the original box that it was delivered in.  After you do that, then program your router to forward port 5001 (for both the UDP and TCP protocols) to the static IP address you assigned to the SB.   Then reboot both the router and the SB (by pulling their power cords for 30 seconds or more), then attempt again to run the SB setup routine and see if it can find the SB now.

Report back on any error messages you receive, and fellow SB users like me will continue to try to help you.

neillo8

I have the same problem and it's driving me nuts, I had Verizon in new York and it worked fine, moved to Pgh pa and now have Comcast and it won't recognize the device on my network, I bypassed my slinglink and pluged directly into my laptop and it found my slingbox and I was able to complete the set up, but when I reconnect to the slinglink although all the lights say I'm connected to my network it still can't find my sling box on my network on my desktop or laptop. Doesn't sound like its the router cus it finds the slingbox wired to my laptop, also my port is listed as active when hooked to the slinglink. Something is blocking my slingbox, any ideas people? Thanks for your help.

Neil

tvgood

Something about this comcast xfinity router does not mesh well with the slingbox.  I have the modem and router in one box that you can rent from Comcast.  I tried using a static IP address but that doesn't seem to work either.  Comcast wants to charge to even look at the issue and since I already paid with Slingbox, I don't want to have this issue keep bouncing back and forth.  I am trying to view the slingbox through internet viewing.  It works for a few hours and then gives me this error:

"There was an error connecting to your Slingbox.  Make sure that your Slingbox is ON and connected to your network.  Also check that firewall and router allow access.  Do you want to retry?"

I go back to the house and reset the router.  Then it works for a few hours off site and then I'll get the error again after a few hours.

When I had the AT&T DSL service, I never had a problem viewing through internet (offsite).  That too was a router and modem in one.

I do notice that SMC Networks (the router) is listed in the Slinbox options but the model number is different.  I have to keep manually configuring it to get it to work.