3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2011 10:10 PM by chakkarinen RSS

TV Antenna

arsohn

Hi There,

Simple question, all I want to do, is hook up a HD-TV antenna to recieve only over the air broadcasts. I just moved to a very remote area and was wanting to have a slingbox hooked up with an attenna back home to recieve free over the air broadcast tv. I just wanted to make sure that this can be done with the slingbox hd pro, and also, as long as the antenna has a good signal, is it possible to have the slingbox hooked up to just the ethernet connection and the tv antenna and just let it be? I know it seems like a waste of the slingbox features, but just to be able to watch local sports games and news tv broadcasts would be awesome.

Thanks!

• Re: TV Antenna
          chakkarinen Apprentice

The Slingbox Pro HD has a built-in TV tuner, so you don't need to have a TV connected to it downstream of the Slingbox.   And if you can connect the antenna to your Slingbox through the coax connection, then you should be able to stream that coax input signal over the Internet, assuming that your ISP where your Slingbox is located has a fast enough UPLOAD speed to send out the video and audio without stuttering, stalling, etc.   I have found that if I have at least 1 MBPS upload, then I can stream standard definition TV.   I'm told that I would need at least 4 MBPS upload speeds to stream high defiinition signals IF I wanted to stream HD TV broadcasts.

arsohn

Thanks for your response, it was very helpful, so if I only have an OTA antenna hooked up to my slingbox, would it even require use of the IR blasters?

chakkarinen Apprentice

No IR blasters would be needed under your proposed configuration.   But if you decide to add a cable box instead of an OTA antenna, then you would need IR blasters to get the virtual remote on your computer screen to tell the cable box to change channels.   With your proposed setup, the virtual remote on your computer screen will change the channel directly on the Slingbox's internal tuner.