8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2011 6:52 AM by rpmiles RSS

can see my slingbox on home network but not on internet

rpmiles Newbie

very strange, it has worked well for months. now I can use my slingbox on my PC at home via my home network, and can see content on slingbox.com, but only when viewing from my home PC. I cannot connect from my work PC or my iphone. When I try to redo "setup internet viewing" using setup assistant it no longer finds my UPNP motorola cable modem and it used to, and manual setup does not work. Also, my playon software is not recognizing my upnp cable modem as it normally does. I am thinking about doing a hard reset to the slingbox unless someone has a better idea

• Re: can see my slingbox on home network but not on internet
          chakkarinen Apprentice

Did you try a soft reset?   (pressing the button less than one second)

When you can see the slingbox from within the home network, but not from outside the home network, then I suspect that the Sling Media directory entries at support.slingbox.com for your box have become corrupted -- most likely by your router assigning a different local IP address to your Slingbox and/or your ISP assigning a different WLAN IP address to your cable modem.   If you've not done so already, I would first suggest -- after doing the soft reset -- programming your router to assign a static IP address to your Slingbox.   Then forward port 5001 to this static IP address.  See the users manual for your specific make and model of router for instructions on how to do these two steps.   Hopefully, after doing these two and power-cycling both your router and your Slingbox, you will be good to go.

rpmiles Newbie

somehow my router ip got changed. I rebooted the modem and set up static ips for the 3 slingboxes and set up port forwarding for all three and it now works fine

chakkarinen Apprentice

Great!   Glad to hear that all is working now for you.    Setting the static IP addresses for Slingboxes usually helps; but it can be a real pain to do so, since there are so many variations in how to program different router models to do it, and the user manual instructions may not be very clear.

rpmiles Newbie

actually I'm screwed up again and have been fighting this for a week now. I see the slingboxes mac address on the info tab of the slingbox software, but I get confused between the  ip for the slingbox and the ip for the  wireless adapter I am using to connect to my home network (a tivo N adapter). Should there be two different ip addresses for these or are they the same ip address? Which ip address goes into my port forwarding table?

For some reason my upnp stopped working last week on my router. I have 3 slingboxes and this is driving me crazy

chakkarinen Apprentice

Well, now I may be stuck in how to help.   I have my Slingbox connected directly to my router (through a network switch) with an Ethernet cable, so the only MAC ID that I see -- and for which I program a static IP address on my router -- is the one printed on the bottom of the SB.   I wasn't aware that Slingboxes could be connected to a router via a Tivo N wireless adapter, or any other wireless adapter for that matter.   I have seen where others use a wireless bridge to do the connection -- which involves two devices (one connected to the router with an Ethernet cable and the other connected to the Slingbox with an Ethernet cable).   The vast majority of those setups that I've read about involve plugging those two devices into electrical wall outlets and requiring that the two outlets be on the same phase of the (typical for residences) two-phase electrical circuit.   Which in itself can be rather tricky for the non-electrician to safely determine is the case.

rpmiles Newbie

I was able to set and have it keep a static ip for one of the 3 slingboxes and it is working fine over the internet. No luck on the other two. When I do the "manual configuration" using the setup software I pick a static ip that I "reserved" in my dhcp table (that is matched to the mac address of the device), but it will not save it as a static ip. Any tricks here?

rpmiles Newbie

after hours of troubleshooting with Sling, Motorola and Bright House tech support it turns out the Motorola SGB6580 router/ modem was bad (it was blocking ports and upnp did not work). When they swapped it out everything worked fine