3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2011 8:16 AM by djdarraghj RSS

Max streaming bitrate from a remote location?

djdarraghj

Right folks, I have looked everywhere and even been in contact with Sling who can;t give me a definite answer. I have 100mb broadband and 8meg upload speed. When i log in remotely (just a few miles away) on a laptop over wifi i can only sream at 2megs max par second. (2000kb per sec) Can someone please confirm if they have definitely been able to stream or the net and receive in excess of 2megs (over the lcoal network it goes up to 6 or 7 megs for me) I was the best possible picture quality for watchign football games and thats the reason i upgraded my broadband to 8 meg up but it seems its not having any effect. I've been in tocuh with my broadband provider who say there is no streaming cap so what could it be??

• Re: Max streaming bitrate from a remote location?
          djdarraghj

I should also point out that the remote locations I was viewing from had 30 meg broadband so that was not the issue. I want to get to 5 or 6 megs a seconds over the net.

callanish Apprentice

What I personally can confirm is through my solo, I've achieved a 2.6 mb remote viewing speed at a distance of 100 miles from my slingbox, but when I'm 5000 miles away, that plummets to 1.3mb on a slingcatcher and through the webplayer. I upgraded my upload speed through my ISP from 2mb to 5mb, but it made very little difference in the streaming speeds from my slingbox. I'd think you should get more speed remotely considering how close you are to your slingbox, but you won't get anywhere near local viewing speeds on a remote connection.

alanrichey42 Master

I don't know this for certain, but I suspect that Slingplayer monitors the stream and only goes high enough to guarantee the best picture.  If it thinks that a higher bitrate will not result in a better quality picture it will not bother increasing the bitrate and thus loading the bandwidth.   So peaking at around 2-2.5Mb seems fairly common.

I would guess the difference between distances is just because the signal has to go through so many more servers and one of them might be overloaded a bit and becomes the critical path and throttle the signal.   Those of us with a max upload speed of 512K don't get that problem