5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2011 10:48 AM by paytown RSS

No Video, only sound on internet viewing.

jparrrph

I recently had a new DVR installed and now I can't view video on my IPhone or Computer unless the TV is on. I get sound, but no video. It is connected the same as before. The DVR is new but it is the same kind as before.  Any ideas? 

• Re: No Video, only sound on internet viewing.
          jparrrph

Also,  the TV screen is there because the INFO button and Guide button on the remote bring those up on the screen but there is no picture! (Unless the TV itself is actually on)

chakkarinen Apprentice

Very strange.   As though your DVR has a sensor to block signal transmission unless TV is also turned on.   Are you by chance using HDMI cables anywhere in your setup?   No personal experience with them, but I've read in other forums that the HDMI cables can interfere with proper transmission of signals to Slingbox -- the workaround is to replace any HDMI cables with component (5 wire RED-BLUE-GREEN video and RED-WHITE audio) cables, in order to still be able to sling HD resolution broadcasts.

ACC113569

I have personal experience with it with my Slingbox.  My HD DVR cable box used to output composite, s-video, component, and HDMI all simultaneously.  I always used HDMI through my A/V receiver for connecting to the TV.  The Slingbox used to get good video signals whether the TV was turned on or not.

Then, about a month ago, the cable company (Brighthouse in Central Florida) upgraded the software in the DVR.  Since that day, I do not get video from the non-HDMI ports.  So, I blame the cable company.  But what can you do?  Give up 1080p resolution, give up my 3D, and give up the device sync control (Sony feature where devices communicate and control each other through HDMI)?  I don't think so.  The SlingBox will go in the trash.  Maybe one day Sling will release a product with REAL HD support, i.e. HDMI, that supports HDMI passthru.  But I think if that ever happens, I'll still think twice about buying their product with their history of dropping support for older products.  Of course, they say they help you out by offering a $50 discount, but there are online stores that sell the unit for a better deal than $50 off retail plus shipping.

jparrrph

Thanks, that seems to have solved it. I unplugged the HDMI connection from my DVR to the TV (which I used as an alternate input) and the picture returned to the Slingbox on my IPhone. The Slingbox is connected to the DVR and TV with composite cables.

paytown

I need a little help here.

I just moved and now have AT&T u-verse internet and cable service.  I am trying to set up my slingbox and can get it to work over local connectiono but am having trouble setting up the internet viewing.

1.   AT&T u-verse supplies their own router which is a 2wire486 router which is not a router that can be selected from the manual set up.

2.  When I try to do the automatic set up, it says that it can't be done.  When I tried the manual set up, it could not establish a connection when selecting "my router is not listed."  I then tried to select the other 2wire models even though it wasn't mine and the tutorial assistant didnt' really take me to the right pages.  Part of the problem is that the router configure pages are all a part of the AT&T u-verse system instead of the 2wire router screen.  For example, the "firewall" settings isn't anywhere on my screen for firewalls on the at&t uverse router screen.  I tried to re configure it but throughh the screens shown to me but it still won't get me through the assistent again.

Any help here in getting this to work would be appreciated.