9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2011 4:21 PM by kellyinchina RSS

Problems connecting to Slingbox, using an XP pc

Creed133

Hi All,

We've had a slingbox pro for about 9 months now and its been working fine viewing over the internet in the middle east using Vista or a Windows 7 laptop.

I've since come back to the uk  and noticed it doesn't want to play with Windows XP.  I tried uninstalling and reinstall the slingbox update, whilst it initially worked, the following day after a reboot it still came back with the same error message after the account has been checked and verified.

"There was an error connecting to your Slingbox. Please try again. Do you want to retry?"

Reading through some of the past messages, it could be a compatibility problem with XP, no matter what I've tried, it still doesn't want to play

Has anybody actually got it to work yet...?

Appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks

• Re: Problems connecting to Slingbox, using an XP pc
          Tedgreb

Have you had any luck yet?  I am trying to connect also using XP.  It wants to udate the software on the slingbox, but always comes back stating there was an error and for me to hit "retry".  Very frustrating at this point.  

maxdiaz21

i just bought my slingbox solo last night, and was able to connect thru the initial setup but nothing after that. i have not been able to even test it out,any suggestions?  Im already frustrated and havent even gotten to test it out? Need help

jgranson

just purchased a slingbox hd-pro.  having similiar issues with connection to the slingbox.  Sees it on the network but won't connect for configuration.  I was on the phone with a technician that advised me to download the slingplayer and try to set it up through that program.  No luck.  Called back and got remote desktop connection from a technician.  Walked through all my security settings several times; no firewall, no anti-virus, still no connection.  After about 30 mins of phone/remote desktop interaction the technician advised me that windows XP has several issues working with slingbox and for initial set up I needed to use vista or Windows 7.  awesome.  How does a machine that cost $300 not have any type of direct interface for programming?  My router only cost $50 and I can log directly into it and completely configure it.  Apparently once I complete the initial set up with a Vista or XP machine I should be good to go.  We'll see, I'm borrowing a Windows 7 computer and gonna try to set it up.  Got my fingers crossed......Seriously $300?

jgranson

sooooo.....  the tech i worked with was so insistant that the issue was a security/firewall issue.  So I went into "services" and set all security services to stop and disable at startup.  then restarted the computer.  I'm currently up and running and setting up my slingbox.  hopefully all will go well.  Services are located in control panel ---> admin tools ---> then shortcut to "services"..... open properties for them and set to disable on startup.  good luck.

Creed133

Hate to say this but....

My slingbox was setup initially using XP almost a year ago, it was only after a slingbox update that the problems occurred.  I can configure using a Windows 7 or Vista machine though. 

Since my last post, slingbox is yet again not connecting on XP and I have tried both web and the desktop player.

I work in IT support so believe me, I've done all the usual troubleshooting I would normally recomend customers to do!  I'm just thankful I don't have to rely on one XP pc.

kellyinchina

Did you have any success?  I have been using slingbox on XP for 12 months and just this weekend I can no longer connect.  I appreciate any insight into resolution if you were able to connect.

Thanks!