3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2011 3:43 PM by zb1 RSS

If slingbox website goes down, how do I specify IP/Port to connect directly?

johncody

Hi,

Slingmedia's servers have known to gone down from time to time, and when they do, it is impossible to use slingplayer mobile using the "Finder Key" or Slingbox login info.

With windows mobile, you created a work around that allowed the windows mobile version to access my slingbox directly (without requiring your website to be working) by using my slingbox's IP address and port number to directly make a connection from my windows mobile phone to my slingbox (and bypassing your servers).

I now moved to an Android phone and can not figure out how to setup the manual/direct connection to my slingbox. So how can I configure the android slingplayer to directly connect to my slingbox in case your website and/or servers go down?

-John

• Re: If slingbox website goes down, how do I specify IP/Port to connect directly?
          Novice

Hi johncody,

What I'm getting from your post, is that you would like to know how to Setup a direct connection to your Slingbox.

In this case, you will need to create the access from the SlingPlayer first.

To do so, you can check the following link

Adding a Slingbox using a domain name/router IP address

Regards

• Re: If slingbox website goes down, how do I specify IP/Port to connect directly?
              johncody

Hi Jose,

OK, I totally understand what you are saying, but I have just one question...

My understanding is that the android sling player app must be "logged"  into my slingbox account in order to see the "directory" of available devices. Thus, if slingmedia's servers go down, the android app won't be able to "log" into you servers, so the android player app wont be able to download the "directory" of devices from your servers.

What this means to me is that even if I am able to create a "device" in the "directory" device list that can directly access my device without using the finder id, if the android sling player app can't log into your servers, I wont be able to see the "directory" list in the first place - making it impossible for me to select the "direct connection" device that I created.

Is this understand correct, or does the android sling player app locally store the "directory" and will display it even if your servers go down?

Also, it seems like the android sling player app "calls home" to make sure the copy of the android player app was properly purchased (and not a pirate copy) - if your servers go down, what will the android sling player app do if it cant connect to your servers to make sure the app is a valid copy?

zb1

I too have the same issue and would like to know what the fix is?  Was there a reason why this feature was removed or are the developers working on putting this back?