5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2011 7:47 AM by fraz RSS

Modem crashes with any other network use

fraz

Just upgraded to Timewarner Road Runner Extreme (5mbps uploads) and got new Samsung SMT-H3262 cable box and Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 modem/router. Works great for remote Internet viewing (by my son at college) until we try to use any other device on the home network--digital home phone (through a separate modem on a cable splitter, which the TWC tech installed), or wirelessly--iPhones or laptops. Is there some kind of setting adjustment needed to either the Slingbox or modem, like a buffer, that would end this interference? Once we stop using the network and reset the modem (sometimes it resets itself) everything is fine.

• Re: Modem crashes with any other network use
          chakkarinen Apprentice

I am confused about why you have TWO cable modems -- the  Road Runner and the Motorola Surfboard -- on the same circuit.   I've always heard that it's a no-no to have two cable modems on the same internet feed.  I would think that you would need to choose one or the other, then connect a router to the chosen cable modem and everything but the digital home phone to that single router.   I do not have a digital phone and so am unfamiliar with how they are set up -- but it sounds like you are using a different service provider for your telephone than you are for the TV and Internet service.

callanish Apprentice

Actually, its possible to do two cable modems through your ISP if the upload / download power levels and SNR, once split on the coax, remain within acceptable parameters. Its just a matter of providing a separate IP address to each cable modem. I'm running Motorola's 5222 cable modem / digital phone along with a docsis 3.0 Zoom 5350 all in one router / cable modem on the same account and I've yet to have any issues. The reason for this being done in the first place was it was installed while I was out of town and the tech engineers couldn't get the motorola 5222 modem / digital phone to work with my wireless router, so they split the coax, added my zoom docsis 3 cable modem / router to the setup with an independent I.P address, checked the levels and I was up and running. Found out the solution later was that you needed to reset the motorola 5222 digital phone / modem entirely to make it imprint on the first device it comes in contact with for it to be recognized, so originally they couldn't get it to see the Buffalo wireless router I had connected to it using the ethernet cable. The 5222 had imprinted on the first computer that was connected to it, rather than the wireless router. The ISP engineers didn't know about this procedure, so they went down the split coax with two IP addresses road. Don't ask, the answer sounds implausible, but that was the solution recommended out there on the tech forums for what you need to do to imprint a new device to the 5222 and it works.Too late with the answer, but I run both cable modems now without any problems.

As for this specific issue, I'll say this. I've now had experiences in the past with two motorola all in one routers that kept going offline while I was streaming and trying to do something else at this same time, but that turned out to be two sbg900's that were in the failing stages on me and had trouble doing two things at the same time, especially anything that was bandwidth heavy. Kind of lost my faith in Motorola cable modems after that. As you might know, the sbg6580 all in one router / cable modem isn't exactly getting the best of write ups for overall stability. Its very sensitive, so If your power levels are out of whack, you'll experience connection dropouts especially when you're putting demand on it with streaming and trying to do something else at the same time. I'd check these power levels on both cable modems to make sure they aren't the reason you've got this problem. I'd also turn ip flood off under settings for the sbg6580. I personally use the motorola digital phone modem only for its phone capabilities and use the zoom for the heavy lifting, but I wouldn't rule out issues with the sbg6580 itself. It seems people are experiencing all sorts of dropped connection issues with their 6580 added to their ISP service. The concensus has been not to run an all in one router / cable modem; use a cable modem with a separate router.

fraz

Thanks for your reply. Please see my previous response about the second tech and the power levels. I later Googled the Motorola modem and discovered the IP Flooding issue, which I then unchecked. However, my son just tried to watch a little while ago, and when I posted a Words with Friends entry through my iPhone, the modem went down. I tend to agree about the all-in-one modem/router. TimeWarner Cable insisted that it is required to use their RR Extreme service, although I don't see why. It seems like the modem should have some kind of buffer setting to act as a traffic cop when a separate request is made of it while streaming video. I guess I'll have to call TWC back and ask them to offer another solution--maybe a different modem.

fraz

Thanks for your reply. Nope, the ISP, TV and digital phone are all through TimeWarner Cable. The third-party tech who first brought the Motorola cable modem/router expressed the same doubts about having both, but he called in and they told him to keep the phone modem. A second tech, this time from TWC, came out and said the power levels were low. He ran a new, heavier cable from the street and changed out some splitters outside, which boosted the signal significantly. However, the modem still crashes after using Slingbox for a while. Otherwise, for regular Internet use, it and the phone work great. I may explore your idea about running a separate router out of the Motorola for the phone. I don't know if that is possible.

fraz

Still having picture freeze periodically on my son's TV and modem/router crashes and resets automatically at my house. It happened about 6 times Sunday during the Panthers/Packers game.Actually seems worse since I disabled the IP Flood option. We disconnected everything else from the home network--laptop, phones, etc., so I now believe the problem is either caused by using SlingLink or we just don't have enough signal strenght or the modem/router cannot handle the upstream. I checked the modem's event log and would appreciate anyone who can tell me what this means (It was repetitive, so I've posted only a few instances):

Sun Sep 18 15:07:41 2011   Error (4)  Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.9;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:5b:9b:72;CMTS-MAC=00:1b:54:cb:81:cd;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;  Sun Sep 18 15:07:41 2011   Error (4)  Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.8;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:5b:9b:72;CMTS-MAC=00:1b:54:cb:81:cd;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;  Time Not Established  Warning (5)  DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:5b:9b:72;CMTS-MAC=00:1b:54:cb:81:cd;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;  Time Not Established  Critical (3)  No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out   Sun Sep 18 15:06:55 2011   Critical (3)  DCC aborted unable to communicate on new upstream channel;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:5b:9b:72;CMTS-MAC=00:1b:54:cb:81:cd;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;  Sun Sep 18 15:06:55 2011   Critical (3)  Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:5b:9b:72;CMTS-MAC=00:1b:54:cb:81:cd;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;  Time Not Established  Critical (3)  No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out   Sun Sep 18 15:00:24 2011   Critical (3)  DCC aborted unable to communicate on new upstream channel;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:5b:9b:72;CMTS-MAC=00:1b:54:cb:81:cd;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;  Sun Sep 18 15:00:24 2011   Critical (3)  Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:5b:9b:72;CMTS-MAC=00:1b:54:cb:81:cd;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;  Time Not Established  Critical (3)  No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out  

Do these descriptions point to any kind of setting or action I can take?

Thanks to anyone who can help.