4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2010 1:13 PM by heynow2009 RSS

Problems with Internet Viewing

jcafaro10

Just got a new Slingbox Classic.  I have it connected to my linksys wrt54gs router.  The Slingbox's ip address is 192.168.1.254 as reported by the setup assistant.  In my port forward settings I forward ports 5001 to 192.168.1.254.  My slingbox works locally but very often it does not work remotely and I have to remote in and keep trying to re-run the internet settings in the setup assistant until it works.  I don't know why.

• Re: Problems with Internet Viewing
          turdferguson

Hi jcafaro,

Have you considered configuring your Slingbox to use a static IP on your LAN ?  Perhaps that would help.

jcafaro10

As far as I know, the slingbox having an IP of 192.168.1.254 is as if it had a static ip because this is outside the range of ip addresses that DHCP gives out in my router.  I think the DHCP range is 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.149.  There is no place in my router settings to assign things static IPs I believe.

turdferguson

Your router is most likely using a block of 50 IPs for it's DHCP space (192.168.1.100 - 149).  Many home routers use a default gateway IP of 192.168.1.1 (the router's IP on the LAN) and a block of 50 leased IPs starting at 192.168.1.100.   This varies by manufacturer and can be changed at will, so don't take my assumption to the bank.

You're right that a static IP on the LAN can be anything valid on the router's subnet that's not in the DHCP range.  .254 should work, but I've found it more reliable to keep things in a closer bunch.  I suggest moving the Slingbox off it's default .254 and giving it a specific static IP that's closer to what the router normally uses.

In your router's config screen that has the DHCP on/off setting, you should find a place to either enter a DHCP range or a starting address + max number of clients- that'll tell you your DHCP range for sure.  Try parking your Slingbox's static IP closer to that range, then point port 5001 to the new IP in port forwarding, see how it goes.

An example:

WIth my Linksys WRT54G router, I left the default gateway at 192.168.1.1, but started DHCP at 192.168.1.110 (instead of ...100, which is it's default).  I use 192.168.1.100 to .109 as my static IPs.  10 statics is more than enough for my Slingbox, network printer and computers... and it's easy to remember.

heynow2009

I'm using a wireless bridge and I have very poor video for internet viewing. I've setup my router for port forwarding. I'm receiving my signal from a explorer 3250 cable box. Is there any setup for setting the channel that is assigned for this cable box? Or is there something else that I might be missing?