3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2011 2:41 PM by dahdahdah RSS

Firmware update made Sling unable to configure

dahdahdah

My slingbox was "lights on solid" not functioning, but I could not connect. After trying the reboot of all my stuff several times, I did a factory reset. Once the factory reset worked, the desktop setup assitant wanted to update the firmware and once that was done setup assitant connected and sling video/auido was working in setup assitant. mid way through assistant it crashed. Now all green lights, but no luch with setup assistant successfully configuring from desktop (windows) or web. Both web and desktop see my un-configured sling, and "green lights on solid". How can I configure my sling?

• Re: Firmware update made Sling unable to configure
          Apprentice

Hi, dahdahdah

I understand that you are having some issues trying to update the Slingbox firmware version. There are some factors that you must take into account in this case. The following links will provide you with the  related information.

How do I update the Slingbox Software (firmware) on my Slingbox?

Trouble Updating Slingbox Software

Regards

dahdahdah

Disabling Windows Firewall and Antivirus seems to allow the update weblet to more reliably see my slingbox, but what happens (and no matter if I let the weblet discover my slingbox or use the directory) after selecting "My Slingbox" (unconfigured), the setup.slingbox.com weblet errors out with ""  My PC and slingbox are on same local network, and the same subnet.  I've also tried from multiple PCs to same result. My slingbox is Slingbox Classic. I've repeatedly done a factory reset and the result is the same. I've also tried from SlingPlayer 1.5 and Slingplayer 2.0 to connect/configure the factory reset/unconfigured slingbox, but despite having "2 green lights" the setup connections time out. What next?

dahdahdah

This clearly isolates the issue to the sling servers causing the  corruption. What is now suggested as next step to configure remote  viewing (since web player and slingplayer using FinderID corrupt my  slingbox)?

After reading through other threads with similar issues from loading firmware causing unusable sling, or server connection issues that arose same time as my issue found a way to recover my slingbox to work on local LAN. Doing the hard reset was the trick, and it only seems to work 50% of time if box becomes corrupted again by sling servers. Hard reset was advised to hold down the reset button until the lights start to blink slowly. Once reset starts, lights blink fast, but after about 8 secs (on my Classic Sling) the lights blink slower and can release the button.  I then used 1.5 Windows Slingplayer, with a local IP address to configure my slingbox - DO NOT put in FinderID as this seems lock up the slingbox due to communicating with sling servers. Passwords reset works and I can connect easily on local LAN only. When I use watch.slingbox.com or setup.slingbox.com, the sling servers cause the corruption/misconfiguation to re-occur. Likewise if I put the finder ID into Sling Player, and slingplayer connects to sling servers, then the corruption/misconfigur occurs and slingbox does not work. This clearly isolates the issue to the sling servers causing the corruption. What is now suggested as next step to configure remote viewing (since web player and slingplayer using FinderID corrupt my slingbox)?

My slingbox settings from the 1.5 SlingPLayer information tab are as follows:

Hardware version: 1.0.1

IR Blaster version: 2

Firmware version: 1.2.16

Firmware release date: 02/04/2009

WAN

WAN Access?    No

Remote Configuration?    No

Sling Server IP        8.7.94.68

Sling Server Port    5678

Register?    Yes

Registration Period    300

Ping?    Yes

Ping Period    1800

FYi, For windows users I was able to add an Windows Firewall exception for the SlingPlayer application that now allows my SlingPlayer app and Firewall to run. Just add the slingplayer under exceptions tab, in control panel. Did not test if configuration will work with firewall, but streaming works fine.