42 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2012 6:47 PM by Catrachodnyc1 RSS

Can't get Slingbox to work over 3G

cocoamoko

I have a 3GS and the WiFi connection to Slingbox works fine, but I can't get 3G to work. I did notice under the iPhone App setting for Slingbox, the setting for "Server" is dish.sling.com. It doesn't seem as though that should be there, as I don't use Dish. I use a Comcast cable card in my TiVo HD. Does anyone know how I fix that? I mean, I know I can just touch it and change it, but does anyone know how I get the correct server to put in there? Do I get that off my PC? I've searched quite a bit and I don't find anyone else with this issue. I can't think of any other reason why it will not connect via 3G. No jokes about AT&T signals needed, as I am a lucky one to have super duper 3G coverage in my Chicago suburb

By the way, the particular message I get is "SlingPlayer cannot connect to your Slingbox. Please make sure your phone and Slingbox are connected to the Internet and try again."

• Re: Can't get Slingbox to work over 3G
          davidjtaylor

hi i got that message when i had the same problem (connecting over wifi but not 3g) i do however live in the uk and are using O2 as my mobile provider. what i did was to reset the slingbox using the reset button and went through the original setup again (i used sling web set up, cos i had probs with the setup software) after which my slingbox now works fine over 3g, hope this helps

dave

dbtinc

Mine worked for a few weeks and now has stopped working as well. Works fine on WIFI but not 3G on an iPhone 3GS. So, Slingbox, you read these forums? How come no answer to this? Spent the $$$ to buy the app and now it's not working. You or ATT?

blaccsnow

I am having the same trouble. It started after the Slingbox update. It seems Slingbox made the setting difficult or messed with the update so that the Desktop Slingbox player "setup assistant" loses connection when attempting set up internet viewing. It does the same when using the setup on the browser slingbox setup. Is it coincidense that it happened after the supposed technical support period expired, 90 days, and they now demand $30 to purchase a tech service? I just paid $300 for the HD, $30 for the iphone app, now another $30 for tech support? this is sounds like a scam to me. ********...

Bryanod Novice

The flaw with some routers is that once a Upnp configured sling receives a firmware update the router does not update itself with the new Upnp data.  blaccsnow you could factory reset you router then run the sling setup again.

gabrielle Newbie

Try resetting your router and then run the set-up assistant-----this should work.

copper0426

Tried to get on my slingbox last night from my Iphone.  I was told that the slingbox wasn't configured. I went through everything to reset it and now I can't get it over 3G.  When I try to do the set up for Internet viewing, it goes through the motions then stops at 70% and says need authorization.  It finishes and says it needs the router username and password which I enter and it starts all over again.  Only to stop again at 70% and the same message pops up.  My Iphone now says SlingPlayer connection lost. Pease make sure your phone and Slingbox are connected to the internet and try again.

I have done everything I can think of reset my router,  reset my sling box as well as all the steps that the site suggest and called my brother who is a computer genius. He did some techie stuff and said he is stumped.

So now I am mad and this is really a pain in the you know what.  If they update their product and it messes us all up they should eat the cost to get us up and running again.  We have done nothing to make this not work properly.

Any help would be appreciated.

gabrielle Newbie

Copper--when setting up for internet viewing,instead of letting sling configure your settings,do a manual setup on your router---here,you can change or update your IP address,port #,etc.If you are using port 5001 and this is not working,try changing it to 443 in the remote viewing part of the sling setup--if you have to change your port # here,remember to go into your router and make the inbound and outbound this # (443 or 5001)--the number has to match whatever port # you use during your sling setup.Before you do anything,hold down the reset button on the back of the Slingbox for about 30 seconds and start your setup from the beginning,then go through the sling configuration.Good luck!

copper0426

gabrielle, I did what you suggested and still can't watch with Iphone 3G. It however is not telling me that my router username and password are wrong. It is just insane.  The next option will be to totally reset the router,  I really don't want to do that because I really don't want to have to reprogram all my wireless items again.

gabrielle Newbie

Did you reset the slingbox?If it is a new router or upgraded firmware,resetting the router may be your only option.What type of router do you have?

copper0426

I reset my router and the slingbox again.  Still doesn't work.

eferz Expert

Once you have the local viewing setup for your Slingbox your done with its configuration.  The only thing that's preventing you from remote viewing is your router.

Slingbox provides its support through port 5001 (by  default) and that's how you access it from your private network and   public network.  However, your router has certain services to provide   you with a safe networking enviroment.  Unfortunately, these services   are also preventing you from accessing your Slingbox remotely. One way   to allow your Slingbox outside of your network is port forwarding.    Without port forwarding any internet request for port 5001 will be   ignored.  This is because your router doesn't know which of your networked clients will handle it.

When you configure port forwarding on your router,  you specify port 5001.  This is the port  which the Slingbox provides  its services.  So, the next important part  of completing the port  forwarding rule is the IP address of your Slingbox.  Once you've  completed setting up the port forwarding rule, all of the outside requests for port 5001 to be directed to your Slingbox.

Another alternative is Universal Plug  and Play (uPnP)  its a set of protocols that allows to devices to  communicate with one  another for configuration purposes.  If your router is uPnP compatible, it is possible that its services is disabled by  default.  That might explains why the Slingbox Assistant couldn't complete  when it started running for  tests for internet viewing.  If you can  find out how to enable uPnP on  your router then you can rerun the Setup  Assistant to allow the  automated configuration to complete.

To test your router's configuration, go to http://www.canyouseeme.org and in  the "What Port?" box type in the port number that your slingbox is  using and click the "Check" button.

If you set it up correctly, then you'll get a response  "Success: I can see your service on  <public IP address> on port (<port number>)".

xxtommyxx

I received the same error message when trying to use the app on the iphone over 3G, connection lost pease make sure your phone and Slingbox are connected to the internet and try again. I also called tech support a day after i purchased the slingbox solo and the app and i spoke to 14 different techs in about a week. All were stumped. They told me that the Slingbox was working fine and that there was a problem with the iphone. I called Apple and At&T to see if there were any restrictions or if i did something wrong. They told me the phone is working perfect. I returned the sliongbox and the app and still to this am frustrated with this product and still no solution.

vilmacuevas

I am out of the continental USA. My sling box was working perfect inconjunction with my 3G Iphone (but not on my lap top like I can at home).  Now with the upgrade I do not have any connection with my 3G I phone,  I paid $30.00 for tech spport and they could not help and would not refund the money either.  SCAM**************

wrobertschicago

Slingplayer Mobile on my iPhone 4 also stopped working over 3g. I get a different error message: "Due to an account issue streaming has been disabled." Huh? My Slingbox account? My ATT account (I have the unlimited data plan)? Works fine over WiFi, and doesn't seem to be an issue with my Slingboxes. I have two in Chicago, which I watched on my laptop in Texas this Summer. I can watch the Texas Slingbox on my laptop in Chicago. Has anyone else gotten this ridiculous, freaking message?

lightmann

Myr original Slingbox worked with AT&T 3G because I used it in Hawaii with no problem, so I know it will work.  However, I had to return that unit because I bought it at a place that had it overpriced and there was another retailer that had it for $30 less.  So now I have a new unit and have gone through all the config stuff.  I can view it over Wifi on the iphone, but not 3G.  I have my router configured for port forwarding on 5001 to the Slingbox.  I'm reset it several time and re-ran setup but it still just doesn't work.  I wonder what "magic" I used on the first one to get it to work.  I can't seem to re-create the magic.  Anyone got any brighter ideas than I have how to make this dang thing work with 3G?

docwatz

I was able to watch through either my itouch or laptop via a wireless hotspot without any problems until last week. I can connect through wifi without any issues but when connecting through 3g its gets held up on optimizing.  I called customer support and they took my money and did not help. It is obviously a problem or so many people would not be listing on this forum.  Please help because I know this problem is not limited to the iphone or ATT but any wireless 3G hotspot.

blaccsnow

unplug the slingbox for 10 seconds and plug back in. You will have to do this everytime your internet service provider modem is resets or powers down.

edaley

You may need to setup port forwarding on you router/modem.  I had this problem until last night.  Everything was fine over wifi but not over 3g, also I had problems from certain networks like at the office.

When you use the setup assistant it will try to setup your router if if recognises your router.  It did not recognise mine so I had to set it up manually.  By default the slingbox will use port 5001 you will have to make sure that this port (or whatever one you chose is open).  Once you have setup port forwarding it will work.  The problem that I had was that my modem is really a modem router to which I have connected my linksys wireless router.  I therefore had to configure my modem router to port forward my linksys router and configure my linksys router to port forward the slingbox (i know it sounds complicated, but I had never had to do this before yesterday and now I understand it).

Use this website to see what ports you have open http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

Then use this site to figure out how to forward ports on your router/modem http://portforward.com/

I hope this helps, if you are still lost let me know and I will try to explain what I did step by step.

docwatz

what you say sounds great.  I am likely an intermediate-knowledged computer user and this seems far beyond my comfort level.  Can you offer any guidance which can make this less overwhelming.  Thanks for your replay.

edaley

Well the first thing to do is check to see what ports you have open by going to this site http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

From this site you can scan all ports you have open, to do this click the last item in the common ports list, 'scan all common ports.' You can also enter and scan the default slingbox port number 5001 assuming you have not changed this.

If port 5001 is open you should then run the setup assistant in the slingbox app on your pc to enable internet vewing.

If you have no ports open then you will have to open ports on your router.  The setup assistant can also do this for you it you have one of the routers that the assistant knows about.  If you have and it still does not work you will have to setup port forwarding on your router manually.  To do this go to http://portforward.com/ from this site you can search for you router and you can then find out how to port forward for slingbox.

if you are still stuck can you let me know the following:-

• What ports you have open (checking on the website above)
                                                      • What ports your slingbox uses (you will see this from the setup assistant)
                                                      • What router you are using

Good luck

mrblue2225

Slingbox and company was awesome, but now it *****, over wifi or 3g, it doesnt work for long, it just all of a sudden stopped working. How can a once good product fall so fast. I read all of t hecomments and tried all and IT DOESN"T WORK!!!!.It works for a little while and then it stops. As usual, the internet connection is lost. Thanks for the help slingbox, oh wait I have to pay someone I can't even understand more of my money. I cant wait for another product to come out, I am sure slingbox will lose many  LOYAL customers!!!

docwatz

i called slingbox again and even though this problem was not fixed on my first call I paid for, they closed it and want to charge me again and then the rep hung the phone on me.  His name was Carlos.   I asked him if he just wanted more of my money and did not care that the problem is still not fixed, and he actually said yes.  I then called the main office and asked to speak to who was responsible for tech support.  I got a persons voice mail and he never returned my call.  I think the sling techs get a percentage of all paid tech charges.  Well, sooner or later, a more customer friendly company will come up with a similar product and we can all take a be sigh of relief.

edaley

I called them when I first had this problem, as my slingbox is new there was no charge.  Here in the UK if it stops working within a couple of years (european law is even longer than that, not that many people or retailers know) you can send back the slingbox for a refund or a working replacement.  I'm not sure what the law is in your part of the world. 

When I called them they were helpful but did not solve the problem, but after watching them try to fix the problem by remotely taking over my PC.  I figured out what to do.  My problem was due to the fact that the modem supplied to me by my ISP is actually a modem router. I then have my wireless router plugged into this modem router.  This means that I have to port forward the slingbox IP address in my wireless router, and then port forward my wireless router's IP address in my modem.  Sounds complicated I know and believe me I knew nothing about this stuff a couple of weeks ago.  However when you think about it it's not that hard.  My point is the support techs at slingbox knew nothing about this scenario or at least did not remember it.  I would be surprised if my situation is that uncommon.

I hope you can figure this out, all I can say is that I have no trouble with mine now, but I had to figure it out for myself.

If you need more help let me know.

dougschmitt

Were you able to get SlingPlayer to connect (over 3G) to your Slingbox?

I used to get the same message when using 3G (AT&T) and my MiFi 2200 (Virgin Mobile). But, I never got that message when I was connected to my Home (Wi-Fi) Network. To fix the problem, I used 'Setup Assistant' and followed the steps in 'Setup Internet Viewing.' It works fine now.

By the way: I started having the connection problem (after) I did a soft reset on my AirPort Extreme.

Catrachodnyc1

After a router and slingbox firmware update my slingbox did not work or I could not connect to it on 3g network even though the box had the network light on.

I could connect to it while connected to my wifi at home but now while connected to my phones 3g internet. I looked at my slingbox settings and

I checked the settings on my single port forwarding, the ip addresses where different so I just entered my slingbox info (slingbox private ip address), to get your slingbox private address log in to slingbox.com then go to support and your slingbox's info should come up, look for your slingbox private ip address and enter that number into the sinlge port forwarding (device ip# slot) for your router.