17 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2010 5:19 PM by eferz Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Remote Viewing in Korea on a Mac

Bsmith929

I can't seem to get my slingbox to like my Mac. I am in Korea and can not get anything to come up on the viewing screen...I can't even get to the viewing screen.  I have a brand new iMAC.  My wife can watch TV on her iPHONE and her windows computer in Minnesota but I can't get it to come up over here  Any thoughts?

• Re: Remote Viewing in Korea on a Mac
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Bsmith929,

After you copied the SlingPlayer app over to your iMac, what exactly happens when you try to launch it ?

I know you can't watch, but does the Player launch successfully and you get a black viewing window ?

If so, go to Slingbox > Connect to Slingbox... (Command-K) to open up your Slingbox Directory.  That was a mistake.  It should read: go to Window > Slingbox Directory... (Command-D) to open up your Slingbox Directory.

If you make it this far, you can add/delete/edit your saved Slingboxes.  Most importantly, we'll know that your SlingPlayer is likely not the problem and it's time to check if the directory information is correct and/or you're having networking problems.

Since your wife can watch reliably from two different platforms, the problem has got to be on your end.

If the Player fails to launch properly, that's one thing.

If the Player launches but you can't connect, that's another.

Post back and we'll take it from there. 

- Az

Message was edited by ArizonaSackbut to correct an error in the instructions

singexpat

Having a similar problem in Singapore.  We've been using Macs (both Mini and Macbook) to watch using Slingplayer connected to a box in the States for over a year with no problems.  This week we cannot connect.  The Slingplayer software loads fine, but it just keeps trying to connect without success.  Once I got an error message saying "unsupported signal (like 1080p) is connected," but we haven't changed anything in the setup so it shouldn't be a signal issue.  We are able to get a connection and watch using a PC, but not on the Macs, our primary computers.  Any ideas?  We've updated the software, but still nothing.  Appreciate any ideas out there.

Hi Slingexpat,

I'm a Mac guy too.

Try deleting your Slingbox in the Directory then re-add it.  You'll want to make sure you have the SlingID written down somewhere.  I suggest reading the SlingID off the Windows box you're using (since it can successfully connect) when you re-add.

Getting stuck at Connecting... means that the Player has the location (IP address + port) for your Slingbox and is trying to connect.  It got that location from one of two places: you entered it in manually or it was retrieved from the SlingID service.  Both pertain to how you created the Directory listing for your Slingbox.  If that entry is corrupted/goofy/pointing to the wrong spot, you'll be Connecting... forever.  It's the same thing as typing in a bad address in a web browser.

Assuming the Player is trying to connect to the right place, the only other thing that would cause the problem is if something is blocking the network path between your Mac the Slingbox.  If the Windows box was connecting from the same network as your Macs though, it is unlikely you have a networking problem.

You might also- if possible- try power cycling the Slingbox, router and Cable/DSL modem at the Slingbox location.  Since your Windows machine can sling in everything on that side seems to be fine.  Still, it wouldn't hurt anything to try rebooting those devices.

Hope it works, good luck !

- Az

singexpat

Thanks AZsackbut,

I did like you recommended.  Deleted the Slingbox from the directory, then re-added it.  Unfortunately it still doesn't work.  Actually, the first time I entered the SlingID, I entered it incorrectly and when I tried to connect I got an error message right away saying that it could not connect.  But after I re-entered the ID the right way, then it went back to attempting to connect forever.  So I was able to see the difference between not connecting to the box and the problem I'm having which seems to be a hang in the connection.

And like you said, we are able to connect and watch using a PC, so it shouldn't be our network.  And it doesn't seem to be a problem just with the Macbook, because we're also experiencing the same thing with our Mac Mini.  So it seems to be a problem between the Mac version of the Slingplayer software.  One day it worked, the next day it didn't - on both Macs.

Any other ideas are welcome.

Singexpat, I've got one more thing to try then I'm fresh out of ideas...

Apple's firewall starting with 10.5 Leopard is rather absurd.  In an effort to balance security with simplicity they created a headache.  You might be running into that.

Try this:

Go to Apple > System Preferences > Security > Firewall and choose Allow all incoming connections.

This will disable the normal firewall on your Mac, so turn it back on if you're concerned after you try to connect with SlingPlayer.  After some automatic system/security updates from Apple, I've noticed that my Firewall settings here sometimes change without me knowing it.

The firewall should NOT make a difference because the Player is making an outgoing connection, but it's gotten in the way several times with a few different apps.  Kind of like Little Snitch does if you have it cranked up, but without the helpful notifications so you understand what's going on.

If this works for you, you don't have to settle for running your Mac in an insecure way.  Aside from the protection your router offers, there are actually two firewalls built into OS X- the annoying one we've been talking about and the real one that's part of the underlying foundation of the operating system that nobody uses: IPFW.

Prior to Leopard, the System Prefs firewall settings were located under Sharing instead of Security and provided a friendly way to configure the IP Firewall.

IPFW works the way you would normally expect, but it's a lot harder to configure and has to be dealt with in the Terminal.  Or, you can use this:

http://www.hanynet.com/noobproof/

It's a simple GUI to configure IPFW.  If you use that, you can safely Allow all incoming connections in the Sys Prefs and still be protected by a firewall on the Mac.

Hope this helps,

- Az

ewaverly

Guys,  I am also a MAC and having problems.  I can connect to my player successfully but I am getting "unsupported signal (like 1080p) is connected"  message.    No changes have been made on both the site where the player is or where my MAC is.   I am in London, UK.

If anybody can help with a solution, it is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

captmorgan1

Hello,

You can add me to the list.  I have been following this issue...so far with no success.  I currently live in Dubai and have been watching my Slingbox located in the U.S. for many months using my Windows 7 OS desktop PC AND a Windows 7 OS laptop with no problems.  My wife purchased a new MAC notebook Pro with Mac OS X version 10.6.3.  I installed the software and I cannot get Slingbox player for Mac to connect to my Slingbox.  The software launches, it shows that it is connected and then immediately a window pops up saying that a password in required to connect.  My passwords are all correct.

I have tried connecting as administration and not as administrator....same issue.

I am trying to connect using my Sling ID.  I have also tried to connect using direct connect and no luck there.. (probably because my Slingbox is configured for using Sling ID)

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the player software.  Nothing has worked thus far.

I think this may be a Slingbox.com issue with the new Mac version...  When I find a solution, I will post it here.

If anyone has a solution, please post it here...

Meanwhile, I am watching my Slingbox remotely on my Windows OS with no issues.

Hi Captmorgan1,

I think this may be a Slingbox.com issue with the new Mac version...

Are you using the full SlingPlayer application for Mac, or the web player ?

The current Mac Player (v1.0.10.272 I think) doesn't depend on all the slingbox.com stuff for the Directory like the Windows version does.

- Az

captmorgan1

Hello AZ,

The link you sent me to is the link I used.  I am using and installed the full version Slingplayer for Mac 1.0.10.272

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling this software...I even did a new download from the link...stll the same issue.  After launching the Slingbox

player it goes through the connecting process then says it's connected then nothing happens for about 15 seconds then a window pops up says that

a password is required.  (The password entry is correct)  then if I select "connect" on this pop-up window the Slingbox player immediately disconnects and

starts the reconnect process.  THEN we start this entire process all over again.

Thanks for the reply AZ

Steve

Bummer, I was hoping it was an online directory problem that the application would fix.

Sorry about that, I look forward to reading the solution if you figure it out.

Good luck !

- Az

donmcnamee1

Hi all,

I too am experiencing this issue. I have brought it down to my isp. I can have it work at different locations using different isps, so I have eliminated my hardware and software as the issue. See my notes below:

User issue - Slingplayer/Slingbox service
                                      Description of Problem:
                                      After launching the Slingplayer client app on my Mac, it attempts to make contact with slingbox overseas by using a Sling ID (essentially a userid tied to a user and slingbox which slingmedia holds and by using a form of dynamic dns, puts the slingbox and user request together in a handshake to share signal and control rather than using a static ip to connect).
                                      After several seconds the sling software brings up a dialogue box asking for password (user or admin). I type in the correct password and it responds several seconds later with the same request, repeated.
                                      I have taken my laptop to friends house, using a different isp (Xtra) and same Slingplayer application works fine - both slingplayer app and via browser viewer. Using my macbook pro at work (corporate network, bypassing firewall) and using DTS as the isp, slingplayer and watch.slingbox.com work fine as well. Confirmed this again today. 29/6/10.
                                      I have VNC'd into a computer in Canada running Mac Slingplayer app and it too works just fine compared to my personal home connection. Three different isps, no problems.
                                      I have tried three different devices on personal home network; mac mini, macbook pro and old powerbook - with different os builds but all running latest version of slingplayer for mac 1.0.10. and they do not work, showing the same password request and not allowing stream to start.
                                      I have not made any home modem, network, os or security patch changes.
                                      I have tried setting a specific device to to act as DMZ default but this has not resolved issue, accounting for that ports could be the issue.
                                      I have changed my modem/router default dns to googles, instead of getting from vodafone, to try and eliminate address resolution as a variable - still does not work.
                                      I have used a brand new virgin modem, clean configuration with no special configuration as of 28/6/10 - test all the above devices by surfing, skyping etc (this all worked, except for Sling)  - still does not work, therefore eliminating my current home network configuration as a variable.
                                      On 28/6/10 after 2100 hrs, I was able to get the slingplayer application to work after several attempts to login and stream. On each attempt, it would take several logins to get the stream to work.
                                      On 29/6/10 after 1000hrs, I am no longer able to get a stream working. I am still able to get the slingplayer application and streaming to work from a variety of different locations, isps all using the same player and hardware - just not at my personal address.
                                      Questions:
                                      1. I believe the applicaition password request is a red herring. I believe that some packets are not making their way, or being returned - possibly a routing table issue with Vodefone - have any changes been made to routing tables?
                                      2. Could there be a correlation to services on offer, or in conflict, with SkyHDi service - which I DO NOT have? I understand Sky and vodafone offer video/movie streaming - could it be that vodafone network sees my incoming traffic and restricts?
                                      3. Maybe a static ip at my end to try more testing, to eliminate and dhcp routing issues on the vodafone backbone?
                                      NSLookup information:
                                      I have done nslookups as well on the following Sling related urls on my home connection vs. a webhosted nslookup tool:
                                      watch.slingbox.com - came back fine
                                      analytics.sling.com - came back fine

ms.sling.com - came back fine

secure.sling.com - - came back fine

sparcs.slingmedia.com -came back fine

services.sling.com - did not come back as expected, different response from web vs. local
                                      autoupdate.sling.com - did not come back as expected, different response from web vs. local
                                          eferz Expert

Wow you're the second person today with this same issue

donmcnamee1 wrote:

After launching the Slingplayer client app on my Mac, it attempts to make contact with slingbox overseas by using a Sling ID (essentially a userid tied to a user and slingbox which slingmedia holds and by using a form of dynamic dns, puts the slingbox and user request together in a handshake to share signal and control rather than using a static ip to connect).l

So, the basic process is that the Slingbox sends little information packets to ms.sling.com at intervals.  This allows the Sling Servers keep track your Slingbox's current IP public address by backtracking headers in the packet.  This information is stored in Sling Products Authentication and Registration Control System (sparcs) on sparcs.sling.com.  When you want to connect to your Slingbox, the Slingplayer sends a request to services.sling.com which queries sparcs.  It then gives returns your the Slingbox's public IP address based on the Sling Finder ID.  Then the Slingplayer client will attempt to connect to your Slingbox.   At least that's how I understand it works.

1. I believe the applicaition password request is a red herring. I believe that some packets are not making their way, or being returned - possibly a routing table issue with Vodefone ISP - have any changes been made to routing tables?

If there the changes were made somewhere other than your ISP, then I believe your friend would have also been affected.  It was a good test going to your friend's home and testing on a different service provider.  Which eliminates a lot out of the question.

2. Could there be a correlation to services on offer, or in conflict, with SkyHDi service - which I DO NOT have? I understand Sky and vodafone offer video/movie streaming - could it be that vodafone network sees my incoming traffic and restricts?

That's one of those "its possible, but not probable" things.  It really just sounds like mad ravings of a conspiracy theorist.  Always trying to find evil lurking behind the closed corporate door.

3. Maybe a static ip at my end to try more testing, to eliminate and dhcp routing issues on the vodafone backbone?

Well, for testing purposes you could ask someone at home in Canada to find out what the current public IP address is and connect to it. One of the best test is to have them go to (http://www.canyouseeme.org/).  They will be able to see their public IP address and test if the Slingbox's port is open.

I have done nslookups as well on the following Sling related urls on my home connection vs. a webhosted nslookup tool:
                                          services.sling.com - did not come back as expected, different response from web vs. local
                                          autoupdate.sling.com - did not come back as expected, different response from web vs. local

That's what I was worried about.  Because services.sling.com is effectively the Slingplayer's main portal into the Sling system.  One way to test this problem is to find out what DNS servers your friend is using then used those on your network and see if you experience difference.

captmorgan1

Hey AZ,

I just read the posts on Mac in Korea issues and thought I would update my original post.  My new  MacPro is now working perfectly with my Slingbox.

After trying just about everything, I finally contacted the Slingbox techie people and did their paid support.

According to the SB techie my Verizon Fios router at my home in the US was not configured correctly.  My port (5001) was not open.

I remember configuring my router and opening port 5001 (port forwarding) when I configured it a couple of years ago.

After some research, I had issues several months ago with that modem/router and had Verizon replace it with a new one which was NOT

reconfigured to open port 5001 for Slingbox.  So, I had someone go over to my home and port forward my router/modem.

I brought up the issue with the techie as to why I could watch my Slingbox on my Windows PC and not my new Mac.

The techie says that to view Slingbox remotely via Windows, you simply enter your Sling ID and password.  Then the server finds your Slingbox using your IP address.  When logging onto Slingbox using Windows, Windows does not need or use port 5001, thus I was able to logon with my Windows PC.

With Mac, it works differently.  Mac must first connect to your Slingbox via port 5001.  Therefore, when my Mac and the Slingbox software tried to logon, I would get the incorrect user name and password  message.  This was because my port was NOT open.

Hope this adds to the knowledge data base on this forum.

Da Capt

Dubai

donmcnamee1

update 30/6/10:

I read that port 5001 is used by msn and yahoo messenger as well as some trojans - suspecting that vodafone is 'watching' this traffic. I changed ports on slingbox, with no change to functionality - see below.
                                              Slingplayer  does not work at another Vodafone Red customers home tested at 1700hrs on 29/6/10 -
                                              Slingplayer  does not work using a Vodafone USB stick
                                              Slingplayer does not work tethered to an Apple iPhone
                                              Slingplayer does not work even though I have changed the Slingbox port that it uses from 5001 to port 8080 (all other locations, still work). I did this by vnc to pc in Canada.
                                              Slingplayer works from a friends place in Seattle, Washington.
                                              Slingplayer works from a friends place in Philadelphia
                                              Slingplayer works from a friends place in London, UK
                                              Using an application called Little Snitch, I captured the ip and port requests, slingplayer still did not work:
                                              [30/06/10 9:19:54 AM]:
                                              action: allow
                                              process: /Applications/SlingPlayer.app/Contents/MacOS/SlingPlayer
                                              destination: 178.188.92.146
                                              port: any
                                              protocol: 6
                                              help: wants to connect to  178.188.92.146  using protocol TCP.
                                              destination: 174.129.15.220
                                              port: 80
                                              help: wants to connect to  ec2-174-129-15-220.compute-1.amazonaws.com  on TCP port 80 (http).
                                              destination: 174.129.200.121
                                              help: wants to connect to  ec2-174-129-200-121.compute-1.amazonaws.com  on TCP port 80 (http).
                                              destination: 174.129.200.122
                                              help: wants to connect to  ec2-174-129-200-122.compute-1.amazonaws.com  on TCP port 80 (http).
                                              destination: 174.129.200.131
                                              help: wants to connect to  ec2-174-129-200-131.compute-1.amazonaws.com  on TCP port 80 (http).
                                              destination: 174.129.200.133
                                              help: wants to connect to  ec2-174-129-200-133.compute-1.amazonaws.com  on TCP port 80 (http).
                                              destination: 174.129.218.72
                                              help: wants to connect to  ec2-174-129-218-72.compute-1.amazonaws.com  on TCP port 80 (http).
                                              destination: 174.129.221.149
                                              help: wants to connect to  ec2-174-129-221-149.compute-1.amazonaws.com  on TCP port 80 (http).
                                              destination: 174.129.249.132
                                              help: wants to connect to  ec2-174-129-249-132.compute-1.amazonaws.com  on TCP port 80 (http).
                                              destination: 174.129.29.104
                                              help: wants to connect to  ec2-174-129-29-104.compute-1.amazonaws.com  on TCP port 80 (http).
                                              destination: relay.sling.com
                                              help: wants to connect to  relay.sling.com  on TCP port 80 (http).
                                              help: wants to connect to  sparcs.slingmedia.com  on TCP port 80 (http).
                                                  eferz Expert

For testing purposes, I recommend you do the following steps.

1. VNC  into the computer in Canada that's on the same network as the Slingbox.
                                                  2. From  the computer in Canada, get the public IP address of  their router (http://www.whatismyip.com/)
                                                  3. Logout  of VNC
                                                  4. Run Slingplayer Desktop
                                                  5. From  the command bar click Connect | Slingbox Directory... (Alt+D)
                                                  6. Then  push [Add]
                                                  7. For Alias use "Test"  or "Direct Connect" whatever you want to call it.
                                                  8. For  Password use the appropriate admin password
                                                  9. Check the box  labeled "Log in as Administrator"
                                                  10. Click on the  radio button labeled "Internet domain name or IP address (for  advance users):"
                                                  11. In the first box, type the public  IP address that you found from computer in Canada.
                                                  12. In  the second box, type in the port number used by the  Slingbox
                                                  13. Click OK
                                                  14. Click  Connect
                                                  15. Report the results.

This test should determine if you are having an issue with DNS resolution.