15 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2011 3:22 PM by ilw002000 RSS

How can I get the remote to work with slingbox pro?

ilw002000 Newbie

Hi, I got a new slingbox pro hd.  all is well with that machine.  I moved my old sllingbox pro into another room.  It works well except with my tivo series 2 the remote on the screen doesn't work.  The hand held tivo remote works.  It worked in the other room before a bought the slingbox pro hd. Any suggestions?  Thank you.

• Re: How can I get the remote to work with slingbox pro?
          alanrichey42 Master

Have you checked the IR Blasters are actually working ?  http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000042.html

ilw002000 Newbie

Hi,

They work well with the handheld remote so I guess it works. Interestingly, the only on screen command that works is the mute button.

alanrichey42 Master

Not sure what you mean by "handheld remote".   What has that got to do with Slingbox ?

Ignore the Mute button, that is hijacked by Slingplayer and used to control it's own volume, so it will always work.

If you haven't done it already check out this thread:  https://community.sling.com/thread/3300?tstart=0

ilw002000 Newbie

Hi,

By handheld device I mean the remote device for my Tivo.  If the remote works for my Tivo I assume the IR works so that is not a problem.  I tried all suggestions without success.  What frustrates me is that I had this slingbox working with the slingbox on screen remote in another room without difficulty.  I purchased a slingbox pro hd and moved this slingbox to another room.  After the move the on screen didn't work.  The set up is very similar so I don't understand why there is a problem.  It is the same network, the same computer, etc.  The next suggestion is to contact technical support.  In the past I have found their help of very variable usefulness.  Thank you so much for trying to help me. I am so frustrated.

alanrichey42 Master
                          By handheld device I mean the remote device for my Tivo.  If the remote works for my Tivo I assume the IR works so that is not a problem.

No, that just proves the IR Receiver on the Tivo is working.  It doesn't prove the IR Blaster on the Slingbox is actually sending the IR pulse.

What frustrates me is that I had this slingbox working with the slingbox on screen remote in another room without difficulty. 

I still think that during that move the IR Blaster failed or you haven't plugged it in correctly when you set it up in the new room.  Until you have done the camera test you are wasting your time trying to find anything else.

ilw002000 Newbie

Hi,

Thank you for trying to help.  The only camera I have at home is my iPhone.  When I looked at the IR blaster sensor through the camera, I see an irregularily to the dull light when I use the remote on my tivo.  This lasts for a second or two after I release the remote.  Does this mean the IR blaster is working?  I should be able to get a digitial camera over the weekend if it is necessary to perform the test.  Thank you again. Your thoughts please.

alanrichey42 Master
                                  Thank you for trying to help.  The only camera I have at home is my iPhone.  When I looked at the IR blaster sensor through the camera, I see an irregularily to the dull light when I use the remote on my tivo.  This lasts for a second or two after I release the remote.  Does this mean the IR blaster is working?  I should be able to get a digitial camera over the weekend if it is necessary to perform the test.

The iPhone IS a digital camera so that is fine.  Diffiuclt to comment without seeing it, but what does the 'flash' look like compared with the one you see from the real TIVO remote ?   I get a reasonably good white flash, a red one means the blaster is on the way out.

ilw002000 Newbie

Hi,

Thank you again for sticking with me.  I am still confused as to how to check whether the IR blaster is working or not.  He is a picture of the red image from the tivo hand held remote and a picture from an ir blaster that works on the slingbox pro hd.  As you can see the remote light on the sling box is on.IMG_1785.jpgIMG_1790.jpg

Am I looking in the right place?  Also to answer the obvious and to be certain I am not doing something dumb.  Where do you connect the two ends of the IR blaster? Thanks again for your help.

BrandonC Novice

ilw002000 wrote:

Hi,

Am I looking in the right place?  Also to answer the obvious and to be certain I am not doing something dumb.  Where do you connect the two ends of the IR blaster? Thanks again for your help.

You should be looking at the IR blaster. Not the remote or the TiVo.

You connect the blaster into the IR port of the Slingbox and then position the other end in front of your device.

alanrichey42 Master

I can't see any light from the IR Blaster.   Where you tapping on a button on the virtual remote when you took the picture ?

And remember the 2 blaster heads are identical, so in theory you only need one in front of the TIVO, although it's a backup if you have both there.

ilw002000 Newbie

Hi,

Thank you.  Problem solved.  I was right.  I did something dumb.  First I could not find a good diagram as to how to set up cable box, tivo and sling box pro and second I didn't realize there were ir blasters with different size plugs on the end.  The ir blaster I chose did not fit in the sling box pro so I tried all different combinations of cable, tivo etc assuming being wired together they could communicate.   The set up with the tivo series 3 is different, as you know, as there are cable cards and not a cable box.  Then when I realized there must be two different size plugs I looked in the box for my sling box pro hd and found the different ir blaster which works great.  So now both are working the sling box pro and the sling box pro hd.  Thanks for working with me and not giving up. 

alanrichey42 Master

Glad it's sorted.  Have to admit I would not have guessed that one

ilw002000 Newbie

Hi,

Sorry to bother you again but I was away one week and same old problem. I would appreciate it greatly is you could explain it to me one more time.  I have a tivo, a sling box and a cable box.  I have an ir blaster that goes from the tivo to the front of the cable box so the tivo remote can change channels.  This works very well when I am at home and want to watch television.  When I am away how does the sling box know to change channels.  When I try to set up the sling box again the picture of the tivo remote has no effect. I tried tivo series 2 which is the series I have and some of the other tivo remotes. I put a ir blaster from the sling box to the front of the tivo.  No luck.  Sorry to bother you again.  I called tivo help for help.  They said sorry, the sling box is not a supported device.  Thanks again.

alanrichey42 Master
                                                            Sorry to bother you again but I was away one week and same old problem. I would appreciate it greatly is you could explain it to me one more time.  I have a tivo, a sling box and a cable box. 

Same as me.

I have an ir blaster that goes from the tivo to the front of the cable box so the tivo remote can change channels.  This works very well when I am at home and want to watch television. 

Same as me

When I am away how does the sling box know to change channels.  When I try to set up the sling box again the picture of the tivo remote has no effect. I tried tivo series 2 which is the series I have and some of the other tivo remotes. I put a ir blaster from the sling box to the front of the tivo.

Yes, that is exactly the right setup.   Have you checked the IR Blaster is actually firing when you tap on the virtual remote ?

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000042.html