17 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2010 3:06 PM by hopton525 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

SlingPlayer Mobile for BlackBerry Storm 2... WHEN?!?

BigVDawgy

When are we going to see SlingPlayer Mobile for the BlackBerry Storm 2 9550?

• Re: SlingPlayer Mobile for BlackBerry Storm 2... WHEN?!?
          Expert

Dear BigVDawgy,

Thanks for participating in the Slingbox Answers Forum! While we appreciate customer feedback, we do not comment on unannounced or unreleased products here, simply because this is a technical support forum, not a rumor site.

You can find all the SlingPlayer Mobile for Blackberry information we can provide you with right here:

SlingPlayer Mobile for Blackberry

Please feel free to review the house rules. You can find them here:

Slingbox Answers Forum Help and House Rules

Kind Regards,

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderator Team

suz01

You're not alone BigV.  Me and lots of others pretty disappointed too. Seemed so natural considering it met the wifi requirement.

jSkiLLz

The problem with these forums is that dana and all other admins just copy and paste that generic 'we will not discuss rumors' statement rather than give the people what they want to hear.  you either know that its being tested or its being thought of or you know its never ever going to happen.  why cant this information just be put out there so that people like me who have been waiting well over a YEAR for any information can move on to something else.  this product is so good, why ruin the image by a lack of support

I am probably one of the first 50 people to ever buy a slingbox, referred a number of people to buy them as well and yet me and my storm 2 are treated like second class citizens. Iit worked beautifully with my motorola q running windows mobile and that phone shouldnt even be said in the same breath as the blackberry storm 2.  This is just unacceptable.  I know that it would "work" if I used software from a different model of bb but I want to wait until there is an actual dedicated app specifically for this phone.  I'd gladly pay for it.  The fine people at slingmedia have indicated that this forum was the right place for such discussion, lets see if thats true and this gets some kind of answer or if it just continues to be an ignored and swept under the rug topic.  Thank you.

Expert

Hi jSkiLLz and all -

We appreciate your input, and acknowledge your patience. Please note that Sling does pay attention to these forums and does try to incorporate customer feedback. But, as stated above and in countless other posts, we want to keep the focus on the technical here. We will not be commenting on unannounced or unreleased products, simply because this is a technical support forum, not a rumor site.

We do have a community for Enhancement Requests right here in the forums that might be a better place to post your request for future SlingPlayer Mobile for BB updates, as the focus there is directed towards product development.

Beyond that, please know that we're telling you all that we possibly can. Hope this helped and that this reply wasn't too generic!

Thanks,

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderator Team

mega

I have a technical question............

Is there a  forum in the Sling comminity where we can get an answer as to wether the  Storm or Storm 2 will be supported?  Is there a phone number that we  can call to see if the Storm or Storm 2 will be supported?  Is there a  department within the Slingbox Corporation that we can address  snail-mail and GET AN ANSWER as to wether Slingplayer Mobile will EVER  be made available to Blackberry Storm or Blackberry Storm 2?

Thank you for considering answering this TECHNICAL  question pertaining to us getting an answer!

We do not get answers on the ENHANCEMENT REQUESTS forum.

It's like asking us to ask elseware just so that we won't get answered there!  (Actually, it is JUST like that)

James

Expert

Hey mega - you have a completely valid question here. I just wish I could provide you with an answer!

I can say that the Enhancement Requests community is indeed monitored by Sling and taken into full account when developing SlingPlayer Mobile or any other products. I wish there was a way to provide more feedback to customers waiting to see if a product is happening or not via this forum, but it's just not information that we have.

Two quick points that I hope will help:

1. Spurred by the feedback we've received through threads like this one, we're working on new request forms (think direct petitioning) for currently unsupported BB platforms. These will be present on our website and provide a much better aggregate of customer demand for new development than the Answers Forum can produce. Our Moderators will go through these threads and post links to those request forms wherever appropriate just as soon as they are up.
                          2. Beyond that, one of the best things customers can do to push for SPM for BB Storm 2 is contact their cell providers and contact RIM (Research In Motion) and raise the same questions! More and more customers asking them for SlingPlayer Mobile really helps us to make it happen faster.

Hope this helps ease your frustration a bit. The demand is clearly here, we just need your help get the word out to the right ears.

Thanks,

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team

ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Dana,

That's some interesting news you've got there.  Also, hadn't thought about rattling the mobile providers' cages for Sling support before.  Hmm...

I look forward to seeing how direct petitioning shakes out.  It's a good idea.

Thanks for the update on what's in the pipeline, I appreciate it.

- Az

mega

Dana:

Verizon already supports SPM.  Other phones on their network have SPM running.  Sling as announced SPM for Android (a popular phone on VZ).

RIM also seems to be in agreement with having their phones supported.  There are many models from RIM that run SPM successfully.  Petitioning either Verizon or Rim seems a little redundant.

I hear (read) what you are saying about not knowing.  I don't understand how Sling can not know.  (Isn't this a Sling based forum?  I have to log into my sling account to post here.)  Those of us with Storms have witnessed SPM being available for all types of Models and Carriers around us.  It is very, VERY confusing why there is no light shed by Sling as to the fate of the Storm.

The question is......If we want to run SPM on a big, full screened Smartphone, do we need to dump our Storms?

Please help!?

Thank you,

Mega

hopton525

Dana - Back in May you posted:  "Spurred  by the feedback we've received through threads like this one, we're  working on new request forms (think direct petitioning) for currently  unsupported BB platforms. These will be present on our website and  provide a much better aggregate of customer demand for new development  than the Answers Forum can produce. Our Moderators will go through these  threads and post links to those request forms wherever appropriate just  as soon as they are up."

Can you please post the link to the request form?  I can't find them.  This Sling site totally confuses me.  We are told it's a technical forum and not to ask about Verizon Blackberries because they aren't supported... ANY of them...  Instead, we are supposed to visit the "Enhancement Requests" portion of the Sling forums.  The confusing part is that this is one of the MANY threads that has told people to visit the Enhancement Requests section for requests about Verizon Blackberries.  I thought this thread IS in the Enhancement Requests section!  At the top of this thread page, it lists this thread path as: "

Slingbox >      Support >                          Slingbox Answers Forum >                   Enhancement Requests >                   SlingPlayer Mobile >                          Discussions".  That sure makes it look like I am ALREADY in the Enhancement Requests Section.
                                  I understand that you get our frustration about lack of answers in regards to NO Verizon Blackberries being supported.  What I want to make clear is that we are also VERY frustrated with the run around we are CONSTANTLY given as to where to get ANY answers about this.  It's ridiculously confusing.  Now we can add Dish Network to the confusion.  Their Sling enabled devices advertise being accessible by a BlackBerry app.  Their customer support has no clue that Verizon Blackberries are not supported and give misleading information about it.  Are the Dish Network Sling Apps the same as the regular Sling Apps?  This is WAY more confusing than it has to be!
                                  Thank you for your support.