1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 5, 2011 9:40 PM by chakkarinen RSS

Wireless router?

rchang74

I have my slingbox connected to wireless router via sling link turbo.  Works fine with sq viewing on my ipad2.  Not so well in hq.  I'm thinking my router is too old and not powerful enough to handle hq.  Is there a recommended wireless router ideal for sling box pro hd and hq viewing?  Thanks.

• Re: Wireless router?
          chakkarinen Apprentice

I believe that, in most situations, the determining factor on getting satisfactory viewing of high definition ("hq" in your parlance) programs via a Slingbox is the upload speeds provided by your Internet Service Provider at the physical location.   The transfer speeds of your wireless router -- even an older model -- are probably much higher than the upload transfer speeds of your cable modem up to the Internet.   You can check these speeds by connecting a computer to your wireless router at the physical location of your Slingbox and visit a speed testing website, such as www.bandwidthplace.com  or www.speakeasy.net/speedtest.

If you are NOT getting upload speeds of at least 4 megabits per second, you will likely not have satisfactory streaming of high definition video by your Slingbox.   If that is the case, I would suggest contacting your ISP to see what they can offer in terms of a contract service for faster upload speeds.    You may already be contracted for such high speeds, but have other problems, such as a damaged cable, that are limiting your upload speeds below the advertised for your service contract.