6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2011 9:53 AM by stringer3 RSS

how to improve video quality on my sling catcher in France

stringer3 Newbie

Hi

I think I probably know the answer, but is there a way of linkng these two, so that I can watch on a tv in France.  At the moment, the video on slingcatcher is very poor, but of course on watch it is superb

• Re: slingcatcher and watch on sling box.com
          alanrichey42 Master

I use SlingProjector to show the contents of my laptop screen when watching watch.slingplayer.com.  Might be marginally better quality depends on your setup.

stringer3 Newbie

Thanks for that but I really do not want to hook up my laptop to tv

Apparently, I can connect to my slingbox at home from France via a static IP address, if I wish.  Would that result in a better picture (and why!) and which static IP address would I use - my router's or my slingbox's (or, and I am sorry if this is a daft question, the slingcatcher's - I have no idea whetjer the slingcatcher has an IP address!)

alanrichey42 Master
                  Thanks for that but I really do not want to hook up my laptop to tv

That isn't what I said.    I said I used SLINGPROJECTOR siftware on the Slingcatcher to wirelessly show the display on my laptop on the TV screen,   I never mentioned wiring the laptop to the TV.

Apparently, I can connect to my slingbox at home from France via a static IP address, if I wish.  Would that result in a better picture (and why!) and which static IP address would I use - my router's or my slingbox's (or, and I am sorry if this is a daft question, the slingcatcher's - I have no idea whetjer the slingcatcher has an IP address!)

Totally irrelevant.   These days there is no reason to use a static IP for your Slingbox.

Al

stringer3 Newbie

Thanks again, glad you cleared up the IP address thing.  The reason I mentioned it is that I am now on my second slingbox, and with the first the video on my imac at home on LAN was great (as it should be!), but with the new one it was awful.  Sling support told me to connect via the IP address rather than slingbox id, and it is now perfect.  But why?  The only diifference is that I am now using Lion operating sysrem rather than snow leopard

The solution  re slingprojector now sounds interesting! - and it never occurred to me that the link up was wireless.  is it difficult to set up?  I am not a techie!!!  Is there any help on how to do this (step by step!) on sling support?

Thanks for all your advice

alanrichey42 Master
                          Thanks again, glad you cleared up the IP address thing.  The reason I mentioned it is that I am now on my second slingbox, and with the first the video on my imac at home on LAN was great (as it should be!), but with the new one it was awful.  Sling support told me to connect via the IP address rather than slingbox id, and it is now perfect.  But why?  The only diifference is that I am now using Lion operating sysrem rather than snow leopard

No idea, The IP business is only related to connection issues.  Once connected it won't affect anything else.

The solution  re slingprojector now sounds interesting! - and it never occurred to me that the link up was wireless.  is it difficult to set up?  I am not a techie!!!  Is there any help on how to do this (step by step!) on sling support?

I'm confused.  If you have a Slingcatcher it is on the Main menu  (SlingPlayer - My Media - SlingProjector - Settings).   Have you never used it ?

If not just go here:  http://support.slingbox.com/go/slingcatcher-projector

stringer3 Newbie

Yes, interesting, isn't it, the IP thing, but the difference IS outstanding!    Via slingbox id, bitrate is about 500, and through IP address about 2-3000!  Is it something to do with firewalls, or filters.......

No, I have never used slingprojector, I have only ever watched my sky box in England ddirectly to the slingcatcher.  Thanks for the link