10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2012 6:05 AM by sakuhr RSS

Slingbox and Uverse

Shauncore

I have the Slinglink connected to my 2Wire 3800. The network lights on the Slinglink connected to the router are on and also the Slinglink connected to the Slingbox Solo, but my Slingbox network light is flashing. It looks like the router is connected to the Slinglink right, I just can't get the Slinglink connected to the Slingbox Solo. I tried forwarding my ports and it seems like I did it right, but still no go on the Slingbox.

Any help?

• Re: Slingbox and Uverse
          Shauncore

Okay so the layout of my house is:

Uverse DVR Box, Slingbox and 2nd Slinglink are upstairs

2Wire 3800 and 1st Slinglink downstairs

I moved my Slingbox and Slinglinks downstairs and now the connection is fine and can be found, but sinc I don't have a DVR box right next to my 2Wire 3800 it does me no good having the Link and Box down there.

Could the distane between the Slinglinks be problem or is there any way to boost the signal because otherwise I'm out of luck.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

I am using my Slingbox Solo with U-Verse and it works great.  In my family room I have a U-Verse Cisco IPN-4320 DVR connected to my tv via HDMI and surround system using optical.  The DVR is also connected to my Slingbox Solo using component cables.  I have a SlingLink Turbo connected to the Slingbox with a short ethernet cable.  Upstairs, I have my U-Verse 3801 HGV RG.  Next to it is the second SlinkLink Turbo connected via a short ethernet cable.  Both SlingLink Turbos are plugged directly into the wall outlet with no power strips or surge protectors, etc.

Shauncore

So distance is no problem for you. That's awesome. 

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

No distance makes no difference since it's a wired connection.  It does have to be on the same in-house wiring circuit I believe, although I'm not exactly sure what that means.  I never tested to see if I started pulling circuit breakers are they on the same breaker.  I doubt they are, but I don't know.

Shauncore

Well my problem is that my link is wireless and it isn't connecting when they are away from each other.

When I put my slinglinks and box in the same room as my router they work fine but when I put my Slingbox and single Slinglink in the room I want they don't connect. So I'm guessing my problem is that they are too far apart.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

What kind of SlingLink do you have?  I wasn't aware they made a wireless SlingLink.  Mine is the SlingLink Turbo that transmits the signal through the house electrical wiring system.  If that's not what you have, maybe it's what you need.

Shauncore

No mine is ethernet cable connected. I'm just asking if the distance between the two Slinglink boxes could affect the connection to the Slingbox. One of my Slinglink boxes is downstairs where my Router is and the other Slinglink box that is connected to my Slingbox/DVR is upstairs. When I move the two boxes in the same room it works, but when I set them up how I want them, one upstairs the other downstairs, it doesn't work.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

No, the two SlingLink units connect to each other through your house wiring system.  Distance is not going to matter if the electrical sockets in the wall are on the same circuit.  Are they plugged into the wall with no surge protector or power strip?

Novice

Hello Shauncore.

If you are still having issues connecting the Slingbox with SlingLinks in different floors but those work fine connected to the same outlet, the issue is caused by interference on the electrical circuit or that you have two different circuits in your house.

We encourage you to complete the following troubleshooting steps and if the issue persists you might want to use a wireless bridge for the installation instead of the SlingLinks.

A guide to basic SlingLink and SlingLink TURBO troubleshooting

More SlingLink and SlingLink TURBO troubleshooting

What's an Ethernet bridge?

I hope this helps!

The Answers Forum Moderation Team

sakuhr

Okay I had a similar problem I spent hours trying to figure out last night.  I had been using the slingbox successfully for about 6 months, but out of the blue wasn't able to connect via the internet.  I would repeatedly get the error that the software couldn't find the slingbox and I need to check my lights, but all the lights were on.  I tried the following on both a mac and windows computer.  The things that I did:

1.  Type my IP address into my internet browser ex: http://00.000.000  I was  able to see that my network recognized the slingbox.  I also pinged it and got a response on my PC.

2.  Hard reset the slingbox - no change

3.  Unplugged the router and the slingbox waited 5 seconds replugged the router, then the slingbox.  - no change

4.  Spent 1.5 hours on the phone with Sebastian from Slingbox who did all of the above.  Said this was the first time he has ever seen this problem.  He was able to view the slingbox by manually setting it up, but that wouldn't work for internet viewing.  He suggested that it was a problem with the router. 

5.  After getting off the phone with Sebastian I found a reset switch on my AT&T Uverse router  (little black button the back) press and held that for 10 seconds - 10 minutes later I was finally able to setup my slingbox.

Big thanks to Sebastian!  When I first purchased the Slingbox I read a lot of bad things about their customer service, totally undeserved!  I had a fantastic experience.  They are definitely outsourced to latin america, but they seem very well trained and prompt in answering customers.