1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 8, 2011 11:28 AM by ranaleon RSS

Westel A90-750015-07   Modem/Router

lancersdad

Ok guys... This is the second part of configuring a Slingbox Solo...

The first part in a previous posting laying out the base installation of a Slingbox... which is the Networking configuration... In that detail... I got as far as I could in the slingbox installation... which is STEP 6...  where the slingbox installation program reaches out to your router for automatic configuration.  When this step begins and processes...  the processing icon resembling a slide bar, represents the steps of the process occuring in the process.  Having run this process approximately 60 times...  you know... just to get familiar with the utter failure of the installation process over and over again...  I'm going to share with you in an over view what I have observed...  in the hopes you will not have to go through the same failures over and  over again... and in the hopes that the Slingbox advisors having a more thourough understanding of these processes... will be able to corrolate my experience and give us some dependable responses to work with.

So lets start off with the processing of  STEP 6....  THE SLIDE BAR....   the end result at the end of the processing... failure...  at the beginning of the process... the slide bar moves forwards to 40 % and pauses momentarily...  just briefly... which indicates some function...  that we know has to be in communication or connection to the router... (we are talking about the configuration process beginning....)  the slide bar moves forward to 60% and pauses for a much longer duration...  and forward again to 70% and pauses again... for such a lengthy period of time... it makes  you feel that the program has frozen...  (do not give up or get frustrated with the process... experience it ... get familiar with it... contemlate it... when you have experienced this on many occasions... you will become aware that at each stage where the program has paused... there are processes going on within your router configuration... the same ones you will be experiencing when the configuration process fails and you have to do it manually...  relate the steps you ahave to take to go through the port forwarding process to the slide bar processing...  and as it processes you will corrolate what is being accomplished and when...) ...  remember, we are still at the 70% on the slide bar....   and  you... wanting to restart the process...   No... hang on...   there, low and behold it processes to 100% in what seems, after that frozen state, to be an instant...  and it makes you smile....   But let me share with you... before we go any further... if the slide bar... processes  in this fashion... and exactly in this fashion....  the clairvoyant in me... predicts the next wildow will be indicating "THE PROCESS FAILED"....   (you know psychics charge for this)....  and in that window...  Your next step... will be to  click on the MANUAL installtion option...   taking you to a most interesting window and detail in that window...  

This new window... most interesting... on the right side... are the details of the default positions that the slide bar window configured the slingbox to...   ( which in my most predictive sight... is going to be exactly the reason the configuration/slide bar process failed)  as the default IP address (which for those of you not really familiar with LAN/networking IP address vs WAN IP address ) is 192.168.1.254...   254??????   Now you get a chance to see or compare what your  factory default ip address is compared to my factory defalt address.... 

Jumping head here for a second...  and getting you familiar with all this...  just from memory...  you tell me what the router established as the IP address for your SlingBox found where ???  Yes....  192.168.1.1... the router main page under the "My Network" IP distribution allocations...  You know.... where every computer you have is listed  by  "Name, Type, Connection and IP Address"   Scroll down to the Slingbox allocation...  what are the last 2 or 3 number in the address???   There is a lot going on... right here..  (hang on sharp guys... some people have little experience in this and are just getting warmed up)...  ONE of the reason STEP 6 failed miserably.... is because the slingbox configuration program is trying to establish the port forwarding to comply with the default IP address...  Now... my last 2 numbers in my slingbox address is .33   The slingbox program is creating a port fowward of port 5001 to the IP address ending in ".254"...

So now we think we have a handle on it...  (ok sharp guys, pull up close here and share some information... THAT MEANS POST)  The inexperienced standard user.. has no idea that there are/is something called IP address ranges...  easy to find in your router's menu... lets go there a second... I'll tell you where it is in mine and you figure yours out if it lays out differently...  In the routers Main Page there is an "Advanced" tab... it will take you to another window but before that may ask warn you any changes may effect your computer.. PROCEED....  we have no intention of making any changes... just observing exsisting conditions and configurations at this point.  Getting you and I familiar with the Router an it's contents.  Now look around in the "Advanced" page.  Under an "IP" icon there is a listing called "IP Address Distribution"...  click on that line and go there....

Ok guys.. this is why this is a tutorial...  You see a DHCP Start Address and a DHCP End Address...  Make some sense out of what you are seeing...  anyone getting a connection here to the factory default address in the Slingbox???    YEAH... IT'S NOT IN THAT RANGE...    Look how sharp we are....  the router is NEVER going to allow the Slingbox STEP 6 to establish a port forward configuration for port 5001 if the IP address conflicts with the range of acceptable IP addresses listed...  NOW YOU AND I ARE FRIGGIN GENIUSES...    I don't know why we have to assume this is the reason... at the 70% point in the slide bar in STEP 6...  where we sat forever waiting for the process to continue...  when if it is exactly the reason for the endless pause...  you service technicinas should already have outlined this for us users... in a tutorial...  WE NEED THIS SO WE DO NOT DO ENDLESS POSTINGS IN CONFUSION...  If I am wrong... if I am confused, if I am mislead or misleading others...  Please post the correction and technical follow up for the right steps to take to research, to verify and confirm what we need to know...  Just wish I was on Slingbox's payroll to respond to questions and create tutorials...

But lets go on...  We've done great here...  we got to the page... where we are able to manually configure the port forwarding IP ranges...  At the bottom of the ip address detail at the right of th page... is where it says save/edit...  I say... click "EDIT"  and just go to the top address changing the last 2 or 3 numbers to the ones you saw your router has established for the Slingbox IP Address...  ALL YOU SHOULD HAVE TO CHANGE IS THE LAST 2 OR 3....   and  "SAVE"  that setting....

Now you may attempt to re run the STEP 6 process over and over agin...  (just cause that's who you are) and when you get through doing that... many many times.... you will observe that like after the first or second time of running step 6...  and failing...  (hey...hope you succeded) back in the "Manual configuration window" the IP address you edited to your computers established slingbox allocated address... reverted back to the factory default setting.......   back again boys...    Which is cool... you're getting to see how the system works... and recognising the reset of the slingboxes default setting... internally instead of pushing the button on the back to reset to factory default...  Hey... you can never learn too much about the processes or routines of the box... if for no other reason than you now recognise what will happen with the next step (look at you going all clairvoyant all by yourself) and not taking those unnecessairy steps....

I say... get to the manual configuration page.... EDIT and SAVE  the edited IP address configuration and exit out of the program at that point...  Now concentrate on doing the port forwarding in your router manually...  MAYBE with the help of the slingbox techs... although my new router/modem is not in the list of modem guides on the SlingBox  site...

HEY SERVICE TECHNICIANS...   this is where I am stuck...

Will you please create a guide for my router/modem....  Verizon just sent me a new one  :

WESTEL :  A90-750015-07

REV :  Y

SN : 11FX02038640

ASDL2+MODEM ROUTER

WO : 5200082366

Verizon addresses it as a Westel 7500....  their internet technical staff... proven to be relatively inexperienced (don't want to say incompetent as they have risen to their hightes level of inability) as they have no experience in changing the IP address start and end range... to comply with the defalut address in the slingbox.... which would be the best resolve since that would solve any future issues in reprogramming  the Sling boxes application...  I had this solo working for over 2 years... flawlessly..  so I know that would be what it takes...  Let me know guys I need some help here..     

Lancersdad