5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2011 7:08 PM by chakkarinen RSS

intermittently unable to connect to HD Pro box + speed question

slinguser59

I have an HD Pro box & a Solo box in the same location on the same internet connection (Virgin 100mb down 10Mb up). Remotely the Solo box will work every time whether you are logging in from a PC/Laptop or the Slingcatcher, whereas the Pro box will rarely log in via the Slingcatcher & very often take two or three attemps from a PC or Laptop. It will quite often give the appearance of connecting correctly but 'freeze' showing a very low connection speed then you have to re-connect (as supervisor because it thinks it is still in use) even if connecting via the internal network it sometimes does this.

A second question is over the internal network I can view the Pro box at about 8Mb but I have never been able to remotely view it above 2.2Mb, I have tested from various local & a couple of international locations, is internet video streaming restricted in any way by the box or ISP's?

Any help gratefully received

• Re: intermittently unable to connect to HD Pro box + speed question
          chakkarinen Apprentice

ISPs do limit upload and download speeds of all data transfers -- including video and audio from slingboxs.   Plus, speed limitations can be introduced by the routing that your data are taking through the Internet world to get from Point A (your Slingbox) to Point B (your viewing computer).   You can check the upload and download speeds from a web browser window connected to one of many speed testing sites -- I tend to use www.speakeasy.net/speedtest, but there are many, many others.   Also, I find it helpful to optimize the TCP-related parameters on my computers by using the free TCP-optimizing software at  http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

When I watch my Slingbox through my local network (i.e., the signal going from one port of my router to another port of my router), I always get speeds near 8 Mbps.   And when I watchon a computer outside of my local area network, I always get speeds of 1 Mpbs or less, with the fastest speed limited by the upload speed of the ISP where my Slingbox is located, but sometimes even slower speeds because of download speed limits of the ISP where I happen at that moment to be viewing the video on my computer -- be it in another state or another country.

slinguser59

Thanks for reply

My upload speed is generally reliable at approx 6 - 7Mb & when testing from two or three nearby locations I have never had a speed over 2.2Mb even though the download speed at those remote sites has been between 5 - 10Mb when testing on speedtest. That was why I wondered if the box itself may be limited or if 2.2 is the highest speed an ISP will allow video streaming.

chakkarinen Apprentice

The fact that you get 6-7 mbps upload speed from your Slingbox to a computer attached to the same local area network implies to me that it is not the Slingbox that is causing the limitation -- I don't think the Slingbox knows or cares where the signal is being sent, so it will always attempt to stream (at least when you have the "Auto" option set on your streaming controls) at its highest rate possible.   For me, that rate is 8 mbps on my direct ethernet connection local area network.   Perhaps it could be even higher if I had some ultra high quality ethernet cable of premium speed router?   And the fact that you get much less (1 to 2 mbps?) when viewing from a computer connected to your Internet outside of your local area network tells me that the ISP for the Internet provider in the home where your Slingbox is located is offering 2 mbps (or a little higher) maximum upload speeds for your current service contract.   You can confirm this by visiting one of those bandwidth speed testings sites mentioned earlier from a computer connected to the same router as your Slingobox and see what the speed test website reports for your UPLOAD speed, which in most cases will be the limiting factor on the MAXIMUM streaming speed that your Slingbox can deliver.   My ISP does offer higher upload speeds --- for a much higher monthly price -- should I ever want to upgrade to the ultimate Slingbox HD viewing experience.

And, as mentioned earlier, your actual viewing speed on a computer outside of your Slingbox local area network could be less than 1-2 upload speeds of your Slingbox's ISP, depending on the DOWNLOAD speeds offered by the other ISP (and network routing factors out of your control) to which your viewing computer is connected at the moment and location where you are viewing.

The most obvious examle of slowsky speeds would be if you were to connect your viewing computer to the Internet via its dial-up modem (I think most PC laptops have one of those still built in?) -- in that situation, you would never get streaming speeds of more than 0.056 mbps, which would probably mean no viewing at all.

slinguser59

Sorry I think you misunderstood my reply

The internet connection at the Sling location is testing 6-7Mb upload (>100Mb download) on speedtests

Internal network viewing is usually @ 8Mb which must be the max the box handles as the internal connection is via a gigabit switch

Viewing from some local friends houses while I have been checking this is (over the internet) only 2.2Mb max even though when checking their internet speeds they are getting between 5 & 10Mb download which is why I wondered if the ISP's or box are restricting video streaming

Thanks for your replies

Any ideas on the intermittent connecting problem?

chakkarinen Apprentice

If your Internet service delivers 6-7 mbps upload speeds, and your friends' internet service delivers 5-10 mbps download speeds, then, yes, it would make sense to me that you should be able to watch your Slingbox from their place at speeds near 5 mbps.

As for the stuttering, I have noted, especially with some of my older computers, that if I am running other programs in background (for example, running a virus software check with lots of disk I/O or Internet calls), then my video does at times stutter.   Stopping that background activity has definitely helped.   I also found it helpful -- even before getting a Slingbox -- to optimize the TCP settings on all of my PC computers -- for both their Ethernet cards and their wireless cards -- with the free software TCPoptimizer.exe, which is availble from the folks at www.speedguide.net