25 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2011 1:49 PM by bkuo RSS

cannot detect sling box on my network

punjabimunda

cannot detect sling box on my network

• Re: cannot detect sling box on my network
          Apprentice

Hi punjabimunda, there are several reasons for your Slingbox to be not detected on the network, please provide us more information so we can help you better, I suggest you to start checking the lights in the front of your Slingbox, you can learn more about them here:

All about the lights on the front of the Slingbox

If this doesn't help, please let us know. The more details and information can provide, the better we (the forum community and Sling Media) can help you.

puifais

Hello, both my power and network lights are solid red.  I am plugging my laptop into the router that the slingbox is directly plugged into.  I still cannot detect the slingbox on the network during my setup.  Anythoughts on this?

ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Puifais,

Have you tried a hard reset yet ?  That's the normal way to fix the problem you're describing, especially if the Slingbox is new or you've changed routers.

Here's a support doc on that:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000038.html

Nutshell: from a powered-on state, poke and hold the reset button.  After five seconds or so the lights will blink.  Keep holding.  The lights blink fast then slowly.  When you get to slow blinking let go of the button.  Allow 30 seconds or so for the Slingbox to restart.

When you're back to a solid network and power light, go to setup.slingbox.com on your computer to get things rolling.  You need to be connected to the same router as the Slingbox when you do this.

Hope this helps,

- Az

puifais

Thank you so much!  Now I can detect the slingbox, but I get this error instead:  "The admin password for this Slingbox is not correct.  Please go back to  the Slingbox directory to choose your Slingbox and enter the correct  password."  This slingbox previously belonged to my friend, so I don't have his password.  But I assume it's asking for an admin password since it has just been reset, right? 

ArizonaSackbut Apprentice
                          ...I don't have his password.  But I assume it's asking for an admin password since it has just been reset, right?

Almost right.    When you run the Setup Assistant it'll ask you to choose new passwords.  You can't go any further until you do that.

A hard reset wipes all the old configuration data from the Slingbox, including stored hardware passwords.  There are three passwords you'll be dealing with, let me explain...

Slingbox Hardware Passwords

The Slingbox has two hardware passwords that are stored inside of it.  The Admin password and the Viewing password.  Admin allows you to watch and make configuration changes.  Viewing only allows you to watch.  After a hard reset, you'll be prompted to choose new passwords the first time you run the Setup Assistant.

Only one computer at a time can be connected to the Slingbox and Admin has priority.  If someone else is watching with the viewing password and you try to connect, you'll get an error message telling you that the Slingbox is busy.  The admin password lets you kick them off so you can connect.  This lets you share your Slingbox with friends and family while retaining control of the system.

Admin can kick itself off too, so you don't want to share that one with other people. 

Sling Account Password

The third password is the one you use for your Sling Account.  When SlingPlayer (desktop app or Web Player) asks you to log in using an email address + password, this is what it is looking for.  It's probably the same one you use to access this forum.

Your Sling Account and it's password have nothing directly to do with your Slingbox, but it does hold all of your Directory information.  Any Slingboxes you connect to-- yours and other peoples-- are stored in the Directory.  It's tied to your Sling Account so the information is portable and available from any Player or computer you use.

Anyone who has the location info for a Slingbox (Public IP address + port or SlingID) can add it to their directory.  They can't actually connect and watch without one of the hardware passwords though (Admin or Viewing).

One last thing about passwords: when asked for your Slingbox hardware password, there's a small checkbox that say "Login as Administrator".  Check the box if you're using the Admin password, leave it unchecked if you're using the Viewing password.  If you get this backwards login will fail even if you typed a valid password.

So- you're almost there.  Run the Setup Assistant (setup.slingbox.com) to choose new hardware passwords and finish configuring your Slingbox.  You'll need to do this from your home network.  When that's finished, you should be all set.

Hope this helps,

- Az

bkuo

Hi ArizonaSackbut,

I reset my Slingbox Classic as you described and then connected to setup.slingbox.com.  My slingbox was detected, but on to the next step this message showed up, "There was an error connecting to your Slingbox. Please try again."  The same thing happened when I retried.  It was working just find until I changed my router.

toddniem

my slingbox suddenly stopped making the internet connection. i switched to another connection, I tried the connection in a nother component (bluray)- it worked. I tried it on another cable box- the one i had connected to my sling catcher- no connection..... also tried a reset

mcnew1018

I have a Slingbox Solo that i just got and my computer cant detect the slingbox. I have the slingbox connected directly to the router but I'm using a wireless connection on my computer

montaraz

You probably need to do a reset, if your computer does not detect it most probably is because you have a router for example in 192.168.1.1 but the slingbox is set to 10.0.1.1 if this is the case because it was set up with another router before and was assigned a fixed IP it will not see your current network, so you must reset it to DHCP.