3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2011 3:55 AM by callanish RSS

Any way to watch on different TV away from home?

ACC1433945

I recently went off to college and I currently have a slingbox pro-hd set up in my parent's house. But now that I moved into my apartment I would like to be able to watch TV here too (on an actual HDTV, not just my laptop). I know I can plug my laptop into the tv and view the slingbox on the TV that way, but I was wondering if there is a piece of equipment I can buy that I wouldn't have to do that. Also I think this in the right section, but I am not sure. Thanks!

• Re: Any way to watch on different TV away from home?
          callanish Apprentice

The discontinued Slingcatcher is one option, which, although discontinued, is still being sold on places like E-bay. Third party sellers are still charging an arm and a leg for it though. Other option is to buy the $99 logitech revue using google TV and sign up for sling's beta trial for the app allowing you to watch your slingbox on your TV from your location. I'd suggest signing up for the sling beta first and make sure you get accepted before buying the logitech revue.

http://www.slingbox.com/get/sp-devices-signup

ACC1433945

Thanks. Do you have any experience using the logitec revue? The main reason I asked this question is becuase when I plug my computer into my TV it shows up with a good picture, but it is definatly not 720p from the slingbox website eventhough I have the output resolution from my computer as 720p and my tv is capable of accepting that. So if I get the opportunity to use the revue, will I be able to get a true 720p picture, assuming I have sufficent bandwith?

callanish Apprentice

At this point, I have no experience whatsoever with the revue. I'm kind of holding out for the honeycomb O.S upgrade coming before I take the plunge and purchase it. My motivation in buying it, rather than use the slingcatcher, is to see if I can get a faster streaming speed out of it from my slingbox. For $99 U.S and another way to run my U.K slingbox on a large TV without relying on the slingcatcher, I think it's at least worth looking at as a replacement.

There's a lot negative reviews about the revue, but I just think that's due to over expectation for a new product. Looks like Google is committed to Google TV for the long term, so the end user will benefit from any upgrades that are added. The honeycomb O.S should be a big improvement. You may as well get in on the ground level, if you can, and get the essentials working like the sling app. I don't see any reason whatsoever why you couldn't achieve a 720p resolution from your slingbox streaming to you revue through your TV.