8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2011 2:47 PM by chakkarinen RSS

Connect to Slingbox from another state?

julifutbol

My brother doesn't live with me (he lives in a nother state) but he'd like to connect to my slingbox. Is it possible for him to connect to it without having access to the same internet connection as my slingbox for the initial setup? Thanks!

• Re: Connect to Slingbox from another state?
          callanish Apprentice

Initial setup will have to be done at the slingbox location. Your only other option would be for you to install the free logmein software on your computer and for him to remotely control your computer from his location with this software using a plugin for his browser. From there, he can run the slingbox setup through your computer allowing him to watch your slingbox from out of state.

www.logmein.com

Is there any particular reason why you can't do the initial setup yourself?

chakkarinen Apprentice

I interpreted your question a bit different than callandish.   If I understand your question correctly, you are asking if you can watch programs that your brother (who is in another state) is displaying through his Slingbox.   I assume that your brother has already set up the Slingbox at his location with internet viewing.   If that is true, then you, too, can watch the programs that his Slingbox displays IF he gives you his login ID and password.   NOTE that he can also set up a special "viewing only" login ID and password  for you as well, which would allow you to watch the Slingbox, but not to make any administrative changes to his Slingbox account.

callanish Apprentice

That's how I originally thought as well; just a standard sign in with user I'd and password. What made me think it was referring to something else, was when he used the phrase 'initial setup' and to me that means from the beginning. Unless we get an answer back, we'll never know.

julifutbol

The slingbox is at my house, so I have finished the initial setup on my computer. I just wasn't sure if my brother had to do this initial setup on his computer as well, or if he can just login from his computer and watch my slingbox?

callanish Apprentice

Yes, that's all he has to do. Sign into your account with ID and password and you're good to go. No setup on his side required.

chakkarinen Apprentice

Your brother does not have to do any setup.   Once you've got it set up at your end for Internet viewing, then he can log in to watch it.   Note, however, that only one of you can watch the Slingbox at a time, and if one is watching when the other attempts to log in, an error message (or warning?) will appear.

You can test your brother's capability by pretending  you are him and take your laptop to a local McDonalds, get on the Internet there, and then attempt to watch your Slingbox.   If it works for you at Mickey D's, then it will work for your brother from anywhere that he connects to the Internet also.

julifutbol

Awesome! Thanks so much for your help! One last question: Is there a way for him to be watching something else while I'm watching tv? I only have one tv but right now when i change the channel through the internet, it changes the channel on my tv too.

chakkarinen Apprentice

For one person to watch TV live while another person watches another channel through a Slingbox is possible, but depends on the type of TV service you have, your cable box, connecting cables, etc.   How to do it in your specific case would depend on just what you have in those things I describe in the first sentence.  So, let me describe here a theoretical example.   Suppose your cable TV service provides both "basic" TV channels which you can watch by connecting a cable directly from your wall outlet to your TV;  AND your cable TV service provides additional digital TV channels if you rent from them a digital cable box.   To watch the full suite of digital channels, you would connect one cable from your wall outlet to the digital cable box, then another cable from your digital cable box to your TV. 

Now, if your TV has multiple input ports -- for example, "Video 1" for a coax TV cable input, "Video 2" for a composite (red-white-yellow) set of 3 wires input, and "Video 3" for a component (red-green-blue video plus red-white audio) set of 5 wires input, then you would first attach a 3-way coax signal splitter to your wall outlet.  Out of that splitter, send one coax wire directly to "Video 1" on your TV, a second coax wire from the 3-way splitter to your digital cable box and then the 3-wire composite or 5-wire component set to "Video 2" or "Video 3" of your TV, and the third coax wire from the splitter to your Slingbox.   You can then watch the basic channnels on your TV, and at the same time, supply these same basic channels to your Slingbox.   The digital cable box would get and translate the full set of digital TV channels that you subscribe to, and send them to the "Video 2" or "Video 3" input on your TV, depending on how you did the wiring hookup.

If you want the "remote" person on the Slingbox to see all of the digital stations, then connect the Slingbox between the digital cable box and the TV using the 3-wire composite cables or the 5-wire component cables, instead of directly to a coax cable from the wall.   If BOTH the remote person and the local person want to simulataneously watch all of the digital channels, then you would need to rent two digital channel cable boxes from your TV service.

Take note that all of this signal splitting can significantly reduce the strength of the signal reaching the devices, so you might want to get a technician for your TV service to provide a high quality splitter and the various wires, for which they will charge you for the parts and labor.

Good luck with your viewing and Slinging.