4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2011 5:34 PM by callanish RSS

Does SB use Internet if I watch it on the local network?

genealle

Just wondering if I'm consuming Internet bandwidth if I watch my bedroom TV from my office in the next bedroom, on the same local net?   ATT is supposed to start capping and throttleing bandwidth so I don't want to use too much.

Edit:

I'm watching in the browser and sign into Slingbox.com

I noticed mention of SlingPlayer.

Is that a stand-alone player with no Internet needs?

• Re: Does SB use Internet if I watch it on the local network?
          callanish Apprentice

You're fine. All your viewing is going through the router and straight to the bedroom; no outside internet usage required, so your AT&T cap is safe.

Basically the slingplayer desktop is software running your slingbox independent of your browser locally or remotely. I think sling is trying to get people to abandon the desktop software viewing for webplayer viewing, Frankly, if you're happy with your webplayer viewing, there wouldn't be a lot of benefits for you to download it whether you were viewing locally or remotely. You can do some video and audio tweaking within the software, but it has nothing to do with bypassing the internet.

genealle

Thanks!

Yeah, the browser is fine.

Just wish I could figure out how to dock the player like they show in the pdf manual. Looks different on my player, no docking controls I can find. 

callanish Apprentice

Just a guess here, but could the pdf manual be talking about docking the player using the slingplayer desktop software, rather than through the webplayer. Is that what you are talking when you mention docking controls. If that's the case and you feel like experimenting, you could always load the slingbox desktop software and see if you might prefer using it over the webplayer. It won't do any harm whatsoever and might give you a better user experience than the webplayer does.

I assume that's what you are talking about. If not, can you be more specific?

genealle

I believe you're right about what player it is I'm using. I don't know where the desktop player is or how to download it.so all I use is the web player. I usually switch to the pop-up player after I connect, for the smaller size. I checked on the download tab and seemed to run in circles.

I'd like to play the video stream in a small window that's always on top-pinned or docked in the nomenclature.

Not a big deal though. I'm just thrilled the setup went so smoothly, especially SB opening up a port on the router. Gotta say this is a really cool product and I picked it up on CraigsList unopened for $100. (Pro 200). The owner read the manual and balked at the install.

Thanks!