2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2011 3:03 PM by chakkarinen RSS

I just purchased a Slingbox PRO_HD.

tomkeenan

Before i open the box i have a few questions.

First my background, I live in New Jersey from May thru October then I go to Florida for the rest of the year. I have Comcast for my TV and internet in both states, I have multiple TV’s all HD in both states, I have a DVR in both NJ & FL., and I have a Modem and Router also in both states. 

Now my question can I hook up the Slingbox in NJ and when in Florida watch on any of my TV’s in Florida the Comcast station out of NJ without signing up for Comcast in Fl. And will I still have access to the internet?  Also on the TV’s with the DVR can I still record and play back and what remote do I use and do I still need a DVR in Florida?  Also if so how do I hook them up?  

Tom @ Marylou-tomkeenan@comcast.net          

• Re: I just purchased a Slingbox PRO_HD.
          Novice

Hi tomkeenan,

What I'm getting from your post, is that you would like to know how to access the Slingbox from a different state.

In this case, if you configure the Slingbox connected to the DVR in New Jersey, then you can access from Florida, no matter you will be using a different Internet Service Provider, as long as you have Internet connection, you will be able to access the Slingbox by using the Sling Account, same thing if you connect the Slingbox in Florida.

Now, regarding the DVR, you will need to run the Slingbox Setup Assistant to select the option that matches the Set Top Box that you use.

Also, you need to make sure that the device that you're going to connect is compatible with the Slingbox.

To check that out, please use the following link:

Help finding your video source in the Slingbox Setup Assistant

• Re: I just purchased a Slingbox PRO_HD.
            chakkarinen Apprentice

Here is how I (a satisfied-to-date Slingbox user in two states) would answer your questions:

Before i open the box i have a few questions.

- Shoot

First my background, I live in New Jersey from May thru October then I go to Florida for the rest of the year.

- Snowbird-- nice!

I have Comcast for my TV and internet in both states, I have multiple TV’s all HD in both states, I have a DVR in both NJ & FL., and I have a Modem and Router also in both states.

-- Works for me, too (but in other states).

Now my question can I hook up the Slingbox in NJ and when in Florida watch on any of my TV’s in Florida the Comcast station out of NJ without signing up for Comcast in Fl.

-- The Slingbox sends the video/audio broadcast signal over the Internet to your computers in Florida or anywhere else in Internet Land.  So, while in Florida you can watch ON YOUR COMPUTER any of the programs being broadcast by your Comcast TV service provider in New Jersey.  To watch the New Jersey broadcasts on a TV in Florida, you would need a way to send the video/audio signal from your Florida computer to your Florida TV.   Some of my newer HD (LCD) televisions do have a connector where I can plug a standard VGA video for computer cable between my laptop computer and the TV, which in effect allows me to use my TV as a REALLY BIG second monitor for my laptop.   The image is still standard resolution (not HD) and the sound comes from the tiny laptop speakers and not the BIG TV speakers, but at least allows me and friends to watch the out-of-state TV without all of us crowding around the laptop screeen.

- You do not have to sign up for another Comcast contract in Florida.

And will I still have access to the internet?

-- Your Internet connections work as normal.   And you can watch the Slingbox video in one window of your Internet browser while you do email in a second browser window

Also on the TV’s with the DVR can I still record and play back and what remote do I use and do I still need a DVR in Florida?

- In my setups, I have my Slingbox connected to my Tivo DVR, so my Slingbox sends to my computer whatever is being displayed by my DVR.   This means I can watch on my computer in another state (or anywhere else in Internet Land) any of the shows saved on my DVR.   And with the "Watch Live" button on my DVR remote, I can watch live the TV that my DVR would be recording (if it were recording).   When at home with the DVR, I use the physical DVR remote.   When watching the programs on the DVR from my computer in another state, I use a "simulated" remote that you select when you first set up the Slingbox.  This remote looks (and behaves) exactly like the real remote that sits beside my DVR, only it responds a bit slower.   AND, I had to install an "IR blaster" cable that plugs into the Slingbox and its IR signal head is taped to the DVR so that it points towards the IR sensor window on the front of the DVR (the same place you point the real remote at on your DVR when you use the real remote in person).

Also if so how do I hook them up?

-- I think this is all explained in the online setup program that you run when you first install your Slingbox.   I remember that the program asked me what specific model of DVR I was using, and then asked me to confirm that the simulated remote it offered to me looked exactly like the real remote I use -- it does!    The only thing I have to occasionally remind myself to do is NOT to press with my fingers the simulated remote button on my computer screen, but rather to use the computer mouse to click the buttons on the simulated remote.    Maybe this is different with today's new generation of equipment -- iPads, etc.

---And, of course, you have to do all of the initial setup at the physical location of the Slingbox, so it's good to have a computer (like you will be using from the out-of-state location) with you, and if possible, after you have completed the setup, to connect to the Internet OUTSIDE of the local network in which your Slingbox resides, to insure that everything works correctly in Internet Land.   The "outside network" might be by connecting (with permission) to your neighbor's router, or going to your nearest McDonalds.

--  And, it would not be too difficult to move your Slingbox from NJ to FL, and vice-versa, if you wanted to sling in the opposite direction during the other half of the year.   You would just have to do a "hard reset" of your Slingbox after you physcially move it and then rerun the setup program to configure your Slingbox for the alternate location.