5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2011 11:22 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Slingbox Pro "workings"

FlaJunkie

I've read a bit about the box, but I have some questions...

Does the Slingbox work like a peer-to-peer between the box and the target? Or deos it go through a server?

Does it handshake somewhere at sometime other than between the two users? If so, how much?

• Re: Slingbox Pro "workings"
          dbsguy Apprentice

For in network viewing, the slingbox communicated straight with the viewing device (pc, mac, ipad, iphone, other supported mobile platform etc....).

For remote viewing, it relies on connecting to Sling Media's servers to "find" or "relay" your hosting ip address which in turn connects you directly to your slingbox.

Remember to keep in mind that the "Pro" model is a discontinued model with limited support and does NOT work with the new apps released for such platforms as the iPad or certain features such as HQ mode or of course HD streaming, etc....

FlaJunkie

I need to add I have the PRO-HD box...I did not remember there was just a PRO box.

Basically, a peer-to-peer network is setup between two points without a server getting in the way to monitor or adjust things, right?

I am asking about the technical workings because I am trying to isolate a datarate problem in another question: Why we only get about 2MB/sec when both of our Internet Service Providers are claiming 5MB/30MB rates.

alanrichey42 Master

FlaJunkie wrote:

I need to add I have the PRO-HD box...I did not remember there was just a PRO box.

Basically, a peer-to-peer network is setup between two points without a server getting in the way to monitor or adjust things, right?

I am asking about the technical workings because I am trying to isolate a datarate problem in another question: Why we only get about 2MB/sec when both of our Internet Service Providers are claiming 5MB/30MB rates.

Are you talking about download rates or upload rates ?   The crucial one is the Upload rate at the Slingbox location.

Also, the Pro-HD constantly monitors performance and might decide 2Mb is sufficient to give the desired quality and not bother trying to go any faster.