6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2011 7:42 AM by Bryanod RSS

Not Connecting When Far From Slingbox

Khmi

My slingbox works fine when I am close to home (Under 30miles). The problem is when I leave my house, and go to family or friends 250-400 miles from home i cannot connect to my slingbox. Any help?

• Re: Not Connecting When Far From Slingbox
          jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Connecting to your Slingbox has NOTHING to do with how far away from it you are.  Your Slingbox is connected to the internet.  You connect to your Slingbox via the internet.  Your ability to connect to your Slingbox has to do with your connection to the internet and your Slingbox's connection to the internet.  One or the other or both are causing the problem, not your distance away.

Khmi

But when home it works fine. Then I call my family 300 miles away and they cannot connect at all.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

When you're at home, you connect to your router via WIFI, not the internet.  I'm talking about within 30 or 50 feet of the router.  When you're anywhere else, you connect via the internet.  Distance makes no difference.  If you're unable to connect, then something is wrong, but it's NOT related to distance.

Khmi

What about when I am at work on my laptop, 15 miles from slingbox? Or on my iphone app around my metro area aprox. 60miles? Both of which it works fine. I have NEVER had a problem when near my slingbox, but when on vacation 200+ miles away, I can never connect (via laptop or mobile app). I have been out of town 3 times since I have purchaced my slingbox and never have been able to conncet, but when I get home everything works fine.

Thanks for your responses Jim, I just cant understand why im suffering from this problem. Maybe ISP related?

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

You need three things to connect, regardless of distance.  First, the Slingbox needs a connection to the internet via your router at home and your ISP at home.  Second, the Slingbox needs to be set up properly with internet connection configured.  Third, you need a connection to the internet with your laptop or smartphone.  If you have these three things, you should be able to connect from anywhere.

Bryanod Novice

Jim is correct.

How far you are from the sling may or may not be a factor Your connection does not travel via the best road navigation nor the closest network route.  It might go to a whole different state.   Network traffic takes the path thats is the fastest and travels close to the speed of light (if it didn't have to wait  on network equipment).  So 30 miles away might be on the same network.  600 miles away might  be on 3 networks but faster than 10 miles away... .

Isp wise... You migh be right.  Your isp going to another network might be a poor connection.