10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 24, 2011 7:42 AM by pdms4481 RSS

Poor Video Quality Away From Home

ahanksters

I have Broadband at my home and high speed internet at my #2 location however; the quality of video is poor at second location.  It's almost like it is "buffering".  Netfilx and other sites do not do this at second location. When I bring my laptop home, it has great video quality again through slingbox.  Any ideas?

• Re: Poor Video Quality Away From Home
          callanish Apprentice

you've got to understand that the slingbox, while running at home, is running on your home network bypassing your internet, and not restricted to your internet service providers upload speed, thus the great picture at home. When you are running remotely, you are affected by the maximum upload speed of your internet service provider, along with latency and other factors that can slow down the speed and affect the picture quality. What kind of upload speeds are you getting out of your internet connection when you do a test at your slingbox location? Are you running the slingbox using the webplayer and have you tried reducing the quality settings to see if you can even get at least a smooth video stream from a lower resolution without it having to buffer?

Do an actual upload speed test from your slingbox location using speedtest.net and see if those number have anything do with why your picture quality is so bad.

ahanksters

Thank you Callanish.  I will test my speeds at both locations.  What is the range I'm looking for to get the best performance out of my slingbox?  At my second location I'm only recieving approx. 5.8mbps download speed and .48mbps upload speed.

callanish Apprentice

If your second location is where you are receiving the stream, based on those numbers you posted, you should have more than enough download bandwidth that you shouldn't be having any buffering issues. Now, at your slingbox location, that's a different story. If you can do an upload speed test, it might clear things up, because if its anything like your upload speed at your second location with .48mb's, then that would explain the poor video quality and the buffering issues.

When it comes to streaming, I used to stream with a 768Kbps upload connection sent to a slingcatcher where I was getting numbers of around 700kpbs and that was acceptable for most things except I'd say sports which were a bit pixelated. If it's possible for you to have a stable connection that's close to 1mb and above from your slingbox streamed to your second location, you should be okay as far as buffering and as long as your expectations aren't high, you should be happy overall with the picture quality. Also, I know I've mentioned this on forum to death, but distance between the slingbox and where you are watching it plays a factor. I've got a 5mb upload connection at my slingbox location and I'm still struggling to get 1.3mb's of watching speed out of the slingcatcher 5000 miles from my slingbox with a 20mb download connection. Frustrating, but I can live with it at this point. TCP latency is such a speed killer.

ahanksters

I think my problem is at home.  I'm on Comcast broadband (allegedly).  When I run the speed test it tells me 6.30mbps download and only .12mbps upload.  Not even close to 1mb.  How do I speed this up?  I don't know much about this stuff.  I'm only 125 miles from my home to my other location.  Thanks for your attention to this thread by the way.

chakkarinen Apprentice

You might contact Comcast at the location of your Slingbox and report to them that your upload and download speeds do not appear to be as high as advertised in your contract.   Comcast staff can then test your internet connection remotely to see if they can identify where the slowdown is occuring, or possibly send a field technician out to look for problems.   Some examples are an old filter attached to your service line, a loose or failing connector or splitter on your line where the cable enters your house or your building.   At my home, a Comcast technician found that the cable running under my carpet from the cable modem (in a closet I keep locked to prevent little hands of grandchildren from messing with the router) to the signal entry point in my wall had been damaged by carpet nails, generating significant line interference and low bandwidth.   After replacing the cable, all is well.

callanish Apprentice

Chakkarinen is right. Sounds like you've got a Comcast issue at the home location. That upload speed is abysmal. Put the pressure on comcast to do something about looking into those speeds. The slingbox is at the mercy of that upload speed and, until that's solved, you'll be stuck with a horrible watching experience.

ahanksters

Okay gentleman.  Thank you so much for hanging in there with this newbie.  I called Comcast.  They said my strength was great.  I disconnected from wireless and plugged my computer straight into my comcast modem.  My speeds jumped up to 21.11 mbps download and 3.70 mbps upload.  Do I need a new wireless router?  I currently have a Linksys WRT 400N.  Or should I be wiring this differently?

pdms4481

I'm not sure what else I can check/change on my slingbox

My uplink speed is between 630kbps and 1mb in the UK where my slingbox is

My download speed in Tenerife is 5mb+

All of these in theory should give me a decent picture? My picture is awful. The streaming bar on pc in Tenerife is between 600kbps - 950kbps which would normally mean a brilliant picture.

Instead, I have poor quality, blocky picture, which freezes completely, whilst still showing 600kbps+

What else can I optimise ?