14 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2017 6:30 PM by SlingSupportCynthia RSS

Chromecast --> Slingbox 500

ACC5781667
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I have no cable box or provider .. I am trying to use Chromecast Black .. I've tried a few different things ... HDMI shows through but can't stream online because of settings. There are no settings for using a Chromecast .. don't care about remote controls .. just want video streaming

• Re: Chromecast --> Slingbox 500
          doug57

I am unable to find the "play to" option on my android mobile app version 2.13.1 when I am wanting to cast to chromecast.  I have a nexus 6p google phone.  I have uninstalled Slingplayer on my phone, restarted the phone, then downloaded the Slingplayer from the google "Play Store".  I don't know where to go from here.  I am not sure if we have the same issue but hopefully we can get some help from the community.

ACC5781667

This post is about connecting a Chromecast to the HDMI-IN of a slingbox500

.. then the HDMI-IN goes to the TV

This is NOT about using the SlingTV or SlingPlayer app

For the Slingbox 500 to work .. I have to go to Settings in the Slingbox ..

then select Connection Type ... The Slingbox requires a person to setup

what type of cable box is connected into it .. it then sets up a remote

control and makes things easy

HOWEVER ... I only have a Chromecast Black connected to the Slingbox

HDMI-IN .. there is no option to select this kind of device .. so the setup

fails and it will not show a picture

I have tried many different Slingbox500 setups just to see if something

would work and show the Chromecast screen .. No Luck

Has anyone figured out a way to do this ?

SlingSupportCynthia Novice

Hello ACC578166,

From what I understand, you have not been able to complete the setup with your Slingbox 500. Since there is no "remote" for the Chromecast, under cable provider you would select My AV device has no provider. After that step, you can select any device as it will not let you proceed without selecting one. It will then take you to a screen that asks you to test the remote chosen. You will have to select the option that states that it does work, in order to proceed.

However, if you do not get picture in the step where you test the remote this might be the issue. From the information I found on Chromecast, it does look like this device is HDCP compliant. Meaning you will not get any picture if you attempt to stream from that device. I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Cynthia

Sling Media Moderation Team

ACC5781667

Don't focus on the word Remote

This has nothing to do with a remote control

The setup for the Slingbox 500 does not allow for a workable VIDEO DISPLAY

solution

I can pick any number of DVR or PVR or Miscellaneous video Input

selections, there isn't one that works .. as in Shows A Picture

ACC5781667

This has nothing to do with a Phone

The Slingbox 500 is a PHYSICAL Black Box that you put Between a TV and your

cable box

Do you know what a Slingbox 500 is?

If you did, then you would not be referring to a PHONE App

ACC5781667

What device do I select in the Slingbox500 settings ?

Will the Chromecast work with the Slingbox500 ?

Hello ACC5781667,

I apologize for any confusion I may have caused. When you select your device manufacturer and model, it is to find a remote for the device your Slingbox is connected to. You will need to select a device, in order to see if you will get video. As long as you select HDMI as your source, the device you select will not affect the video stream.

Since the Chromecast does not have one, you may select a random device of your choice in order to reach the video test section of the setup. After selecting the device, it would then ask you to test the remote and should give you a video in the corner. However, since your main purpose is to just stream from the Chromecast we will skip anything to do with the remote. If the video is blank, then you will not be able to stream this way from the Chromecast.

We have not had any customers attempting to stream from a Chromecast device, so I would not be able to say if this has worked for anyone. I would not be able to give any helpful information in regards to setup or connections, as this has not been tested. I do apologize that I am not able to provide the information you are looking for.

Thank you,

Cynthia

ACC5781667

Do I need to get an HDCP HDMI compliant converter ?

If I get a converter, what model/manufacturer will work with the

Slingbox500 ?

Hello doug57,

I do apologize for the issues you are experiencing with casting from the Slingplayer app. Please make sure to have the Google Home app on your Android device, if not already installed. If installing the Home app for the first time, you will need to sign in and sync your Chromecast device to the app. Once that has been completed, open the Slingplayer app and tap on the casting icon to start casting to your device. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Cynthia

doug57

I have chromecast working from netflix & other apps.  I do not get the

casting icon on my slingplayer screen.  I read that I need the most recent

android app but I have not seen what version # would work.

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 2:34 PM, SlingSupportCynthia <answers@slingmedia.com

Hello doug57,

That is correct, you would need the most updated version of the Slingplayer app on your Android device. There are a few troubleshooting steps to try to get the casting icon to re-appear as it should within the Slingplayer app. Please try the steps below:

1. Open the Google Home app on your device.
                                    2. Tap menu icon (three parallel lines) located in the upper left corner of your screen.
                                    3. Select "Cast screen / audio".  This will cast your device's screen to the Chromecast.
                                    4. Open Slingplayer. You may still not have the casting icon at this point, but the device should still be casting what's on your screen.
                                    5. Force stop the Slingplayer app. Clear cache of the Slingplayer app within your device settings.
                                    6. Open the Slingplayer app, and you should now see the casting icon. Once you start casting from the Slingplayer app, casting from the Home app will stop.

Thank you,

Cynthia

ACC5781667

Let me re-clarify

Slingbox Works with a cable provider DVR

I am disconnecting the cable DVR

Chromecast works FINE, I use it alot directly in the TV

1. I removed the Cable DVR .. no more cable

2. I took the Chromecast and plugged it into the Slingbox500 HDMI-IN port

3. I run a cable from the Slingbox 500 HDMI-OUT port into the TV

4. The Slingbox 500 requires the user to Setup the connection

-

There isnt an available selection in the Slingbox 500 setup that works

with a Chromecast plugged into it

Hello ACC5781667,

I understand you would like to stream from your Chromecast Black through your Slingbox 500. However, I do want to make sure I understand the issue you are running into when you say "can't stream online because of settings." Could you please provide more details as to any error messages you receive, or what you see when trying to stream?

Thank you,

Cynthia

Sling Media Support Team