3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2011 6:05 PM by mxquattro Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Cant stay connected to Solo

mxquattro

I spent most of today trying to get my Solo working.  Im a network and IT guy and have never been more frustrated in my life.    I follow the quick start guide and hook it up. When I finally am able to connect to it on my LAN, it says it needs an update (I just got it today!?!??!) After about 25 times of going through the update it fails at 99% which is progress since it usually fails between 20-30%. When I go to reconnect and rediscover it says its up to date. Ooooookay...   I give it a name, a password, it streams video, I select a remote then i lose contact with it.  This is an endless cycle, and seems to die in the same approximate area each time.  Sometimes I get a little further sometimes not.   Ive gotten to the part where I can select my zip code for the guide. Then I lose it again. I cant seem to stay connected more than a minute or two.  I tried the slink power/ethernet links and no change. Then I got a 20' ethernet cable and went directly into my router. No change. then a 3' ethernet cable into my router. No change. I even changed routers, no difference.  Its not my network, as I say, thats what I have done for 30 years.  Im about to give up.  Can anyone help me? Thanks!

bob

• Re: Cant stay connected to Solo
          mxquattro

Just as an update. It seems to only be when I connect to it. It can sit there for hours with the power and ethernet lights lit.  As soon as I connect to it, 30 seconds later the ethernet light goes out and I lose connection. I have to wait several minutes to reconnect again, and even then its only for 30 seconds or so. The cycle continues.

Now Im convinced its the box.

bmoscardini

I'm having the exact same problem.  Endless cycle of re-updating, reinstalling, getting a connection, then nothing just a minute later.  I hope someone has an answer.

I used to love my Sling, now I hate it. Hasn't been the same since the end of June.  

mxquattro

Well I do have an answer finally. I spent hours on the phone with tech support today. It was absolutely the most frustrating thing ever.  I had my slingbox on a switch in my basement and my PC on the same switch. Thats it, the end of the network. I didnt need to stream it remotely, so no internet, no router, no firewall. The "tech support" person asked me what router I had. I said none. He said that was my problem. There was absolutely no getting through to this guy. When I said That its not even on the internet, I just want to stream to my PC from the house he said they dont support such configurations.   Basically I hung up and called back. 2nd time I got "Rafael" who was absolutely very helpful and polite.     He wanted to see what it was doing, so I did put it on the internet, he checked my configs, did a little troubleshooting and determined it was an issue with the hardware (which I pretty much knew all along).  That being said, he is sending me a new one for free (but with a $99 hold on my credit card which is fine) and I got my $30 tech support fee refunded. Very very frustrating at first, but glad it got resolved. Ill report back when the new one comes in.

By the way, apparently this is a pretty common problem according to the tech support guy. Dont let them convince you that you dont know what youre doing. If youre not happy with a tech support guy ask for someone else. It appears they start in automatically telling you that you dont know what youre doing.

bob