3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2011 3:11 PM by dbsguy RSS

Buying a Slingbox Solo

Moonster22

I will be purchasing a slingbox this week. I know you have to hook it up to a tv and the Internet modem. Does the tv have to be located in the same room as the modem. I asked people at Best Buy-they did not seem to be to educated and kept giving me different answers.

• Re: Buying a Slingbox Solo
          dbsguy Apprentice

Actually the solo doesn't need to be hookedup to a TV at all (although most people do so in a passthru method senario.

You need to have the solo placed wherever your programming source is located. For example, if you plan to sling a satellite receivers picture and sound, then the slingbox must be located and connected to the satellite receiver. There are several connection methodsyou can use in order to do so (composite, component, svideo, etc). If your source device (in the senario above --the satellite receiver) only has one set of a/v outputs, then you would connect out of the satellite receiver into the slingbox, then out of the slingbox into your tv.

The slingbox must also be connected to your router by any of the following methods (ethernet cable, powerline adapters, or a wirelss gaming adapter/bridge).

Moonster22

So if I just have time warner cable, I can hook up the actual device toa cable box in a separate room form the modem? Thank you for taking this time to answer me.

dbsguy Apprentice

Yes, you need to have the slingbox hooked to the cablebox.

However, you will still need to do one of the following in order to also hook the slingbox to your router.

1. run an ethernet cable from the slingbox to the router
                  2. purchase and install a powerline set
                  3. purchase and install a wireless gaming adapter/bridge

Since your using it with a cable service, I'd recommend the slingbox pro hd instead of the solo. It will give you the ability to use the internal tuner so that you could either simultaneously or independantly watch from the local TV viewer. The solo model will limit you to only being able to watch the same program that the local viewer is watching if the TV is in use.