7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2011 4:59 AM by EasyRyder RSS

Sling catcher network error

EasyRyder

Hi there,

I'm getting the above problem with my slingcatcher and obviously can't watch the feed from my sling box.

I am able however to watch it from pc, iPad, and iPhone.

The problem literally started when my girlfriend changed the modem she uses. I don't understand why I can watch on every device besides the catcher.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot

Gav

• Re: Sling catcher network error
          callanish Apprentice

Was it just the modem that was changed. Was the router's port forwarding affected requiring you to re-run the setup again and re-check the port forwarding to make sure you're getting a TCP stream. The reason I mention the router is that if it loses its port forwarding settings, you'll lose the ability to connect to your slingcatcher.  From what I've came across, I'd say the majority of the slingcatcher's network connection problems is usually down to the streaming protocol. Run the slingplayer on the P.C and while the stream is running, press alt.shift.i on the keyboard if using sling's desktop software and ctrl and click the video if using sling's webplayer. Check your stream type. If its SNATT or Relay then that's the reason you can't connect. Catcher's require TCP, so you might need to do a reset of the slingbox, double check your port forwarding settings on your router and then try connecting to the slingcatcher again.

EasyRyder

Hi Callanish,

Thanks for the reply, I'm not too tech savvy so might have to get sling or a friend to do that.

If I recall, I had the same thing done to the original modem a few years back.

My BIG qu by doing what you suggest would that slow the upstream. Because at the moment I'm getting a d/l rate here of 14-1600kbps which to be honest is far far higher than the usual 3-500 Kbps I was getting for the last 18 months! I don't want to lose the quality I'm getting. At the moment I sling project from pc to catcher, just makes changing channels a pain!

Cheers,

Gav

callanish Apprentice

Gav,

I doubt by port forwarding the router, that it would somehow screwup the slingprojector stream speed. Besides, you can always just turn the port forwarding off and you're back where you started. The old saying, why mess with something if its working fine comes to mind, but you are still doing yourself out of a perfectly good slingcatcher by not having the ability to connect to it if the stream protocol is the problem, but on the other side of the coin if you are getting better quality from your slingprojector than you are from your slingcatcher, it makes it difficult for me to suggest changing that; it just doesn't make sense to me that your slingcatcher speed was running at that slow of a speed on a home network while running it using that same slingcatcher with slingprojector is giving you almost three times the speed.

There is a possible future option that I'm considering as an alternative to the slingcatcher due to my sling stream being at a slower speed through TCP than through SNATT and that's why I'm thinking about going down the logitech revue google TV box  direction which has a sling app in beta right now, but its not dependent  on TCP so it doesn't require port forwarding of your home router, therefore I'm looking at that to get the fastest stream speed possible to sent to my tv, because frankly the slingcatcher is now old technology and that TCP latency is killing me when you stream from a long distance. You could always sell that slingcatcher on ebay for a profit. They still seem to be getting premium money.

Bottom line is, I personally don't think you'd change your slingprojector speed if your friend helped you setup your router for TCP streaming in order to make your slingcatcher work. The question is do you want to at least try to have your cake and eat it by attempting to change the router settings and sling setup in order to get a TCP stream to work and then hope that once its working again that it doesn't affect your slingprojector speeds? I'm a tinkering kind of person, so I'd probably try it, but with that slow 500kbps speed you seem to be getting; it hardly seems worth it.

EasyRyder

Hi again Callanish,

I think I wasn't to clear, my mistake. My girlfriends in the UK and I'm in a mid east country, working here.

So when the catcher was working I was receiving 3-400kbps via the Internet to the catcher. Now with the new modem/router on her end I'm getting 15-1600Kbps via the net, but catcher is getting the network error. That speed is via slingplayer on PC. So what I'm doing is projecting from player On PC to catcher as that's my only means of watching on my tv! The stream speed within my home here is fine.

What you've suggested will fix the prob I'm sure. Just was concerned I'd lose the vastly improved quality I'm getting now. But from what you say that's unlikely? I think when I first moved I had sling tech support tinker with the original modem making it TCP to get it to work properly and the quality suffered on the receiving end. From what I recall back then it wasn't slinging to any device, and had to mess about with the routers settings.

What you suggest, the logitech revue, has really peaked my interest! I looked at the beta app but it seems I need to upgrade the hardware to a Pro-HD, I only have a PRO. Hopefully the older models will work soon. It got me thinking though, is Sling working on an app to purchase on a PS3 or WD LIVE TV? Getting an app for a ps3 or xbox 360 would increase their market significantly!

Thanks again,

callanish Apprentice

Apologies. What you've said now paints a clearer picture. Like you, my slingbox is in the U.K streaming, but to the U.S about 5000 miles away. The TCP latency kills my 5mb upload speed to 1.3mb while using the slingcatcher in the U.S. Yet, if I turn off TCP streaming, using a remote connection to my router in the U.K, and switch to SNATT, I get a faster stream from the slingplayer software. Wonder if you're getting the benefits of a speed boost from a SNATT stream due to the router not being port forwarded, but the catch 22 is in order to get the slingcatcher functioning, its mandatory that you have a TCP stream. The question is why was your slingcatcher, when it was functioning, be such a bottle neck with speed while the slingplayer software connected through the slingprojector to the slingcatcher provide you with three times the speed of a direct slingbox connection to your slingcatcher. Is it just TCP that's slowing things down?

I believe that even if you do get someone in to fix the slingbox in the U.K, to change the stream protocol by port forwarding the router and make your slingcatcher work again, and by doing that for some reason your slingprojector speeds do suffer, it will be an easy fix to change it back by just deleting the port forwarding setting that was changed on the router, thus reverting it back to a SNATT stream.

My own situation makes me truly believe that being a long distance from your slingbox with a TCP stream causes the stream speeds to plummet and every MTU setting or tweak I've tried won't change that, which is why I'm always looking for other options like the logitech revue. The Google TV sling app's requirements for only the solo or pro-hd surprised me. I wasn't aware that it won't work with the Pro. I guess I should read the fine print. I was surprised that the slingcatcher was discontinued overall. I thought it would sell like hotcakes. Seems sling's strategy now is to let someone else create the hardware and sling will provide the software. If they've started with the android O.S as a sort of slingcatcher 2.0, and considering how many customers that are out there with Xbox 360's and PS3's, can they afford to ignore that market. With the slingcatcher a dead product, sling has changed their strategy and I think it'll be a matter of time before we see their software on all sorts of devices. It would make sense, but in the meantime people like you and I are trying to get the best out of old technology like the slingcatcher or connecting our PC's to our TV's just to get our entertainment fix from the U.K

Just curious, did you try a direct HDMI PC to HDMI TV connection running the slingplayer software to see if those are the same speeds you are currently getting out of the slingprojector to slingcatcher?

EasyRyder

Hi Callanish,

Thanks again! No I haven't run a HDMI cable, unfortunately my PC is cheap and oldish so I'm unable to run a cable between the 2. I'm waiting for it to die at some stage and I'll try a mac instead... But I guess the pic will improve as the picture is ever so slightly blurred on tv (through projector/catcher) compared to pc screen. Just not as crisp.

I think the modem back in the Uk was a contributing factor. Using the fastest upload package that O2 offers (2mb). My girlfriend complained a lot the modem performed erratically, and d/l speeds were apparently quite poor. Since replacement, things on her end have improved tremendously & for me here. So I guess faulty hardware contributed...

By the way who is your provider in UK? Is it BT? I know the have launched this 'infinity' package offering up to 10mb upload. Unfortunately those speeds aren't available at the sling box's location! Soon as it is I'll get a pro-hd (why doesn't it have a HDMI input?!?) and stream hd quality tv here with a bit of luck!

Cheers,

Gav

callanish Apprentice

Well I'm glad you've pinpointed the problem. Nothing more frustrating that being so far away and not being able to do anything about it. Hardest thing about slinging around the world is that there are so many variables on why things don't work or why things don't work correctly that you can only take an educated guess on where the problem might be. The backbone to the slinging experience is usually the modem / router and your internet service provider, so if all that's running less that optimal, then everything else becomes a guessing game which usually puts the blame on something else.

Still, its a problem that was fixed and outside of you having to get up to change channel, etc. from the P.C, you've got the most important part going for you; a steady stream with a half way decent picture. In these modern times, you end up taking things for granted sometimes when you stop and think that you're getting your home TV streamed half way around the world and you're in control of it. 15 years ago, that would seem like something out of science fiction.

I'm using Virgin Media's VIP 50 package which is a 50mb download / 5mb upload internet connection. Its hooked up to a V+ DVR box allowing me to record stuff for the time difference between the U.K and West coast U.S.A, and then connected to a slingcatcher put on the big screen TV in the U.S. I just happen to be in the U.K right now, so I've been trying to do as much as I can on this end to make sure if anything goes wrong on this side, that I've got a contingency backup plan if something needs to get replaced including having a second slingbox as a back up, getting a new modem / router installed and crossing my fingers that it all holds together, because once I leave, I don't see myself coming back for a year. On the upside, I've got access to a computer in the U.K using the logmein software remotely where I can turn on the laptop in the house from over in the U.S and change router settings or access sling's setup if needed and worst case scenario; a very nice relative that can come into the house and knows how to do a reboot of all of the equipment if necessary.

The things you do to get a taste of home from so far away.