5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2011 8:32 AM by dbsguy RSS

What sling box to buy for the iPad?

ilw002000 Newbie

Hi,

I have had a sling box pro for many years and have been very happy.  I recently bought an IPad 2 and want to be able to watch tv when I travel.  I have a Sony TV, a tivo and my Mac is Intel based.  What version of sling box should I buy to use with my iPad so I would use it instead of my MacBook Pro when I travel to watch tv and what I have recorded on my tivo?  Is a solo ok or do I need a pro hd?  It isn't clear to me.  Thank you

• Re: What sling box to buy for the iPad?
          dbsguy Apprentice

Both will work; however only the Pro HD model will give you the ability tpo watch is True HD (up to1080i if you have the available bandwidth).

the pro hd also gives ou the ability to hook upto 4 sources including it's internal tuner while the solo is meant for only a single source.

ilw002000 Newbie

Thank you.  Is the combined cable box with tivo considered a single source?  What if I have Apple TV hooked in to my TV?  What other sources might there be?  Is the hd that much better with the IPad?

dbsguy Apprentice

If your cable box is a combined cablebox/dvr then it's considered 1 source device.

If you have the first generation apple tv, then that too cab be hooked into your slingbox if you go with slingbox pro since it contains multiple input connections. So you would be able to view and control both the cable box/dvr as well as the apple tv from anywhere in your network or remotely for that matter.

Sources cab be anything ranging from but not limited to:

• cable box's
                  • dvr(s)
                  • satellite receivers
                  • survalience camera(s)
                  • game systems (xbox 360, sony ps2 or ps3, nintendo wii, etc)
                  • dvd players
                  • vcrs
                  • computers (typically media center pcs)
                  • apple tv
                  • vudu media box
                  • ruku media box
                  • western digital tv live plus media box
                  • *basically anything with audio video outputs and an ir remote control

HD in and out of network streaming is a HUGE step beyond SD (standard definition) just as an hd tv gives you a better viewing experince then it's sd counterpart.

The iPad app is specifically designed to take advantage of better picture when using a slingbox pro hd.

ilw002000 Newbie

Hi,

Thank you for the great info.  I will probably use only one central source, so what I have to answer to myself is whether having hd is worth the extra money.  One other question, I will use an airport express base station to connect to the internet,  If I get the hd model will I have to buy anything more than if I purchased the solo in addition to the unit.  Thanks again.  It is amazing that I couldn't figure out how to get this info form Sling media.

dbsguy Apprentice

All you need is the slingbox (model of your choice), a way to connect it (ethernet line, powerline adapter, or wireless game adapter), and since your going to use an ipad----of course you'll need to buy the ipad app. that's it.

The slingbox comes with all the cables you'll need to hook it up to your source device (the cablebox/dvr in your case).