5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2011 5:08 AM by reznacz RSS

What's the Point of the SlingCatcher?

Resist Newbie

I have a SlingCatcher and only used it once.  I understand that now Sling stopped making them.  Not sure why I purchased this device because it seems like I can do the same thing with my laptop and my TV.  So what was the point of the SlingCatcher anyway?

• Re: What's the Point of the SlingCatcher?
          dbsguy Apprentice

the point was being able to sling without the need for using a computer. It also gives you a physical remote to use as well as other features that your laptop can not do with your slingbox such as "projection" basically being able to use another computer and project the screen/audio from it to your tv. the ability to connect and use an external drive for things like backed up movies, audio, etc.

The list goes on and on. The slingcatcher is still sold in other markets; just not the US----why?-----only sling knows......

Resist Newbie

But I can do all that via my Macbook Pro and my TV.  It only takes two connections and less of a setup than using the SlingCatcher.

dbsguy Apprentice

You sure can; however "AGAIN", with the sling catcher there was no need to tie up a $1199-$2499 computer at all. Everything could be done with the $99 Sling Catcher (that was the price right before it was discontinued).

Since you already had a MacBook Pro and don't seem to mind using it for this purpose, you probably weren't a good candidate to purchase a Sling Catcher to begin with.

Like it or not, that's your answer.  Remember, you asked.........

dbsguy Apprentice

Just as a followup to my last post:

The slingcatcher also natively incoporates the following outputs; none of which which your MacBook Pro does not:
                      1 x Component Video Out
                      1 x Composite Video Out
                      1 x Stereo Audio Line Out
                      1 x S/PDIF Out
                      1 x S-Video Out
                      1 x HDMI Digital Audio/Video Out

I know you can add a video out dongle to go to hdmi from your macbook pro; but some customers have the need for component, composite, svhs and or audio out to either line level rca's or toslink. None of which the MAcbook Pro incoporates natively.

Just FYI,

I know you can add things like an hdmi converter adapter/cable to your MacBook; however by the time you added all the output cables you would be well over the price of the sling catcher itself.

Things that make you go hummmmmmmmmmm.....

reznacz Newbie

I'd rather ask "what's the point of this topic"?

...what's the point of a TV? there's the macbook... you can watch movies on a computer...

...what's the point of a cellphone? there's the macbook... you can make phone calls from a computer...

...what's the point of an xbox or playstation? there's the macbook... you can play games on a computer...

The list could probably go on but why bother.

Sling catcher has many advantages that have already been listed here. You, an obvious macbook addict, could add the possibility to watch Slingbox on your TV and do other stuff on your macbook at the same time!