3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2011 9:04 AM by lancersdad RSS

Unable to Locate Slingbox

rowdyreptile15

I just bought a slingbox solo and its about to go in the trash can. I ran the set up and it tells me that it cannot be located. I've searched this forum and many others and have not found a solution. The lights are on. I know the ethernet cable works fine. Ive plugged this thing in with several different combinations of wires and outlets. I've tried running set up on 3 different computers, turned off firewalls, anti virus etc and still nothing. What am I doing wrong? I've completely lost my patience with this thing and cannot get my money back for it. 

• Re: Unable to Locate Slingbox
          Novice

Hi rowdyreptile15,

What I understand from your post is that you can't get the Slingbox to show up on the network.

In this case, what I would recommend is to check the following link

My Slingbox SOLO doesn't show up on the network and the Network light keeps flashing

Regards

lancersdad

I feel your pain... so lets start off here clear.. and really basic so you can trouble shoot the box.. the box you are thinking is trash...

First off... the tech support... is depending on there being absoloutely no complications in your installation... and by complications.. the most simplified hook up represents the sling box right next to the modem/router...  with  an ethernet cable leading from one of the lets say 4 possible ethernet outputs to the slingbox...  next... run an ethernet cable to a tower... just one tower..  so all you have is a router, with 2 ethernet cables out put to sling box and tower.  This is a test set up... do it this way and watch what you learn...  plug in the slingbox and watch the lights cycle...  watch your router's main page and see the implimation of the slingbox as the router establishes the IP addresss...  I did not say to reset the sling box nor your router...  Learn to read the face of the sling box (mine is a solo) as you put the box through the various steps... (on the solo box) the power light is the furthest to the right.  With the power plugged in that light will never blink... even if you  reset the box in the back to it's default (factory settings) that light will stay constant....

One inch to the left.. is what I call the ethernet feed indicator light...  when you unplug the ethernet cable... that light goes out... if that light is not lighted and the ethernet cable is plugged in at any location ... you are not getting a good ethernet feed...  that would be the reason you are running this specific test set up... to familarise you with what you should expect from a functioning box and clean internet feed...  You will learn you can use this as a tool to determine if the cables you have running to locations in your home/office are inadquite due to type of cables run or incorrect cable terminations..

Back at your test set up... play with what you have established... unplug the power... and watch both the lit indicators go out... and 7 seconds later you will observe your routers main page refresh as the Slinbox IP designation shows disconnected  with an   X....   We know how that wroks...    Plug the power back in... and  observe the router page refresh as the   X  disappears...   No power no internet connection...  no power indicator light... no internet connection....  sounds basic... but live this and breath this...  observe this and live this...  then move on as you have it memorised.

Now observe the internet cable feed connection to the bac of the sling box...  We know it is direct from the modem... a short straight feed...  if you have it plugged in to the slingbox...then the second indicator light one inch  to the left of the power indicator light...  IS LIGHTED...  as well... ethernet feed and power  to the box...  verified just by looking at the indicators.  Unplug the ethernet feed and verify the router page on the monitor is refreshing and showing a loss of internet connection...  Plug it back in... and the connection re establishes itself....  this is a tool....  with what we have established in the past few paragraphs... you can take the sling box to any location in your home away from the router... and determin weither you have power or a viable internet connection... by cable... at that location.  We'll talk about bad cables... bad terminations and how some port switches alowing you to connect multiple internet cables to one home run feed... can corrupt the internet feed...  You can now use the slingbox as a tool to show you where your problems lay...

But  lets move on....

One of the things you have to begin to understand.... is that... there are two types of abilities to connect to the Slingbox.... inside your router which is referred to as Networking... and outside your network and your router which is your WAN... (worldwide area network)  You can connect to the slingbox within your network... without having finished configuring your port forwarding...  which will give you a false sense of accomplishment.   If you can get the slingbox on each tower and even your wireless connections within your IP address (network)  and then head to Starbucks or make a wireless connection through a neighboring connection.... and you can NOT connect to  your sling box... you have not finished configuring your box...

Now lets start to configure the slingbox....

Go to WWW.watch.slingbox.com   in the center of the top of the site... there will be the word "WATCH"  in the red area.... slick on the word watch... and the program will update your computers program for viewing the slingbox connection inside your network...  You may think it is making the connection to the site... but it is not.... the screen that reads "Loading" represents the installation of the  slingbox program on your computer.

the configuration program is imbedded in the slingbox program....  that is how... any computer can reach out and re configure the slingbox remotely...  Once you have this functioning properly... and the port forwarding configured...  stay away from this process... you will lose all you have accomplished...  once configured.. all you have to do is go to the above site address... www.watch.slingbox.com , click on the word  "WATCH" in the read and the slingbox will come on....  You can tell you are on your way when you see the line across the screen that says...."Remote, .......xxxx........xxxxx......    Full screen"

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is where my tutorial stops... at this point... is where the configuration of the box starts...  Step 6....  of the installation routine.... after configuring the box model, the remote nd programming channel location...   If you are lucky... the automatic port forwarding of the slingbox will configure the router/modem.......   Mine did not....  I'm posting this next portion to the forum for answers in configuration set up...

If Step 6 fails configuration... you can leave the box as is... and operate it within your network on any computer in your home...  Do not try and force step 6 until you read I have successfully configured my sling box in the forum thread... when you  attempt to force the configuration or accidentally get into the set up mode again where you are reloading the slingbox program you will lose all you have accomplished... which is the boxes connection to your network inside the router/modem and the channel / remote programming..... the slingbox site will again say it can not find the slingbox and prevent you from accessing the slingbox from within the network.  You can start from scratch by resetting the slingbox to factory defaults and re installing the set up program at the slingbox web site... after resetting the slingbox... just click on the "Watch" in the red area again... the system will reinstall the programming.... now stop at Step 6 of the internet configuration process... and watch TV.  within  your network...

As a gesture of gratitude... you could throw that box away....MY WAY....

Lancersdad

lancersdad

Got a post script on what we went through...

Once you have the  slingbox visable in your network..   every time you connect to the slingbox... the center  indicator light will activate.  It will stay on the duration of the time the slingbox is being viewed...  when you log off of the website.. the indicator will shut off...  so if you are at home, not connected to the sling box but the light is on... someone is logged in remotely within your network... or if you had success in your configuration, they are logging in outside your network.  The center red  indicator means the slingbox is transmitting by request...

Lancersdad