4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2013 3:51 AM by tturner RSS

Slingbox viewing via satellite delivered internet.

tturner

Living in a remote location where ADSL broadband speeds are very low (if you can get one at all) , I have recently purchased a broadband connection which is delivered from a satellite to a dedicated dish and modem at my property (known as Tooway in the UK/EU). My Slingbox HD-Pro is all set-up but I have two problems I can't resolve:

1. Despite completing the set-up for watching over the internet (ie port-forwarding for port 5001 IS set-up on my router etc) Slingbox set-up always reports that I need to set-up port forwarding manually on my router in order to use smartphone apps to connect to my slingbox. The support page for my account always reports a yellow warning for internet viewing despite also saying that internet viewing set up is complete!
      2. When connecting over the internet using a PC or MAC I can always connect (albeit it takes 5-10 seconds to do so) but when I use my iPhone via 3G or wifi, connection is hit and miss and I often have to try up to 5 or so times to connect before the slingbox responds. Once it does, all is fine.

I suspect that this is due to long ping times via the satllite internet route (640ms - it is going 40,000km after all!) but I feel that the tolerances for the various Sling Application connection time-out could be widened to accommodate users like me.

Be grateful for positive feedback from Sling techncial support.

Thanks,

Trevor

• Re: Slingbox viewing via satellite delivered internet.
          dbsguy Apprentice

It's almost going to be impossible to get a solid constant connection to your slingbox based on the ISP given in your senario. Satellite internet is NOT a candidate for services like VoIP or realtime A/V streaming due to the nature of the lag time involved. Lost/Dropped connections, out of sync audio and video streams and jerky/slow streaming quality are just a few of the quality problems you'll run into with your setup.

Sorry.....

tturner

Thanks for your comments dbsguy.

My experience in using this ISP thus far is that other than the inevitable 'request / reply' delay, the 10Mb/s downlink and 2Mb/s uplink are as constant as any terrestrial broadband connection. Indeed the ISP does support Voip and uses the very latest WAN acceleration techniques to limit the lengthy ping times.

Once the Slingbox is connected the service it is very reliable with good quality being achieved (up to 2Mb/s when using my iPhone when away and a good wifi signal) with video and audio in sync. Also up to 600kb/s on 3G.

The only downside is that it can take several attempts to connect due to the lengthy ping time. But once it does connect, all is good. Sometimes the inability to connect is instant and at other times it can be 10-20 seconds. This could either be due to my ISP or high demand on Slingmedia's systems. I mention this since connecting as a guest seems more relaible than as an administrator.

Anyway, be interested to hear any other people's experience when using Satellite ISPs (BTW aka Viasat Surfbeam in the US).

Thanks,

Trevor

rio5real

Did you ever resolve this problem, I am in Spain and looking at using Tooway here with a slingbox.

tturner

Hi,

Sadly I did not get this resolved. The Sling system could not deal with the 600mS ping time when the Slingbox was sending its regular ‘this is my IP’ message to the Sling mothership. The Slingbox did work over Tooway but the website always reported that the box was offline.

Sling were not keen to look into this any deeper, and Tooway were very cagey about how to access and change the settings in their modem so that a fixed NAT IP address could be allotted to the Slingbox.

Trevor Turner

Television Systems Group Manager

TV Systems | Formula One Management Ltd

Tel: +44 (0) 1959 579000 | Fax: +44 (0) 1959 579122 | Mobile: +44 (0) 7710 739238

TTurner@fomltd.com<mailto:TTurner@fomltd.com