11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2011 7:30 AM by 255909662557039 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Embedded Linux and Linux Desktop

255909662557039 Newbie

Hulu can do it, all the major networks can do it. Where is the Linux desktop either dedicated client or web client? Also there is no Android or Palm WebOS support for mobile viewing.

I saw the post for developers on the website for embedded linux systems. Does that mean there may be some future there?

I'm relegated to only using a Windows computer or Mac computer.

The web version of both are really incapable of any advanced streaming options.

Best results using the Windows Desktop Client.

• Re: Embedded Linux and Linux Desktop
          gman Apprentice

In answer to your query, I believe that the below announcement deals directly with your request:

Sling Media Announces Support for Adobe Flash Platform in Hardware and Software Products

255909662557039 Newbie

This is helpful news and makes me hopeful, but it doesn't solve the problem.

Although much to my chagrin, sling is pushing this adobe Flash medium, it only works on Mac and Windows web browsers. It's great that it covers a lot of ground, but as developers and manufacturers switch to linux embedded systems, it would seem prudent to add more focus on developing software that is paired with this technology that doesn't limit it. It is apparent that embedded linux devices such as the Netflix Roku player, mobile platforms like WebOS and Android will gain popularity. They barely support flash with the exception of WebOS' announced support which is yet to be seen. Even then, it is unlikely that the flash platform will allow these devices to play.

My hopes are at least on Flash to allow all varieties of Linux and even older systems like an iBook G4 that cannot install the current Sling plugin on either firefox or safari.

leftyfb

I agree with this 100%. We have been asking for a linux desktop solution for our slingbox's for years. I have A slingbox pro and slingbox pro HD and I can use neither of them with anything other than my iphone. It would be nice to be able to watch it on something that wasn't 3 inches long and wasn't running Windows or Mac.

As an added topic to this, since moving the forums to slingbox.com, we now have no dedicated forum for linux users and solutions like we used to. We used to have writeups on getting the Windows client to work in wine on linux desktops. Now we have no resources to turn to.

255909662557039 Newbie

On Ubuntu, I'm stuck with version 1.0 something and it's still a horrible quality with windowing completely awful and no buffering. I certainly agree that the lack of a non-mac/windows forum space is troublesome. Before there were numerous posts on workarounds and getting it to work with wine, but this really doesn't serve the needs of the masses.

Flash does seem like the best way to go for cross browser and cross platform compliance. Hopefully this will flesh itself out in the time to come. As of now, all the browsers even in Windows and Mac require additional plugin support whether it be activeX or addon. This is certainly not beneficial to other platforms.

I wonder what OS is running on SlingCatcher, or even the system that operates the ViP 922 (http://www.slingmedia.com/get/pr-dish-slingloaded-hd-dvr-ces.html)

putty2

Mark me as another one who would like to see a dedicated Linux client.  If they can write clients for Windows, Mac, Iphone, Blackberry etc. it can't be all that difficult to port it to one of the many development platforms availible for Linux.

The irony here is that Slingbox devices themselves all run... Embeded Linux!  So Slingmedia had borrowed from the Open Source community to build their products but rufuses to give anything back to that community.

FYI I did manage to get an older version of the client running on Ubuntu using Wine but that is not a native Linux solution (nor would Flash be) and is does not satisfy my request or perform as well as I would like.

Also, I'm not a fan of the way this forum is setup without any General Questions section that doesn't fall under a particular device, client platform or specific software offering.  Maybe a "requests" section would help?

putty2

255909662557039 wrote:

I saw the post for developers on the website for embedded linux systems. Does that mean there may be some future there?

No, it does not mean they're developing a Linux client.  It means Sling devices currently run on embedded Linux, similar to the way just about all home networking routers, bridges etc do.

bitpopler Newbie

Hi,

Is that so ? where can i find the sources ?

mfg

putty2

Good question.  The only answer I can provide is to ask the same question for the hundreds (if not thousands) of commercial home networking routers on the market running embeded Linux as well.  I'm not sure of the legal status of these systems but it does seem that they should have to publish their source code, yet I've never actually seen them do that.

putty2

Linksys/Cisco posts it's source codes here: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/gplcodecenter and has a proccess for requesting sources not listed.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Slingboxes use a modified BusyBox.  They'd better watch out they don't get sued: http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2009/dec/14/busybox-gpl-lawsuit/

eferz Expert

LOL!

I remember that Monsoon Media was sued by Busybox shortly after they made the Hava which competied with the Slingbox.

But this was back in 2006, http://www.monsoonmultimedia.com/press_releases_busybox_developers_and_monsoon_multimedia_agree_to_dismiss_gpl_lawsuit.html

BusyBox Developers and Monsoon Multimedia Agree to Dismiss GPL  Lawsuit

NEW YORK and SAN MATEO, Calif., Oct. 30  /PRNewswire-USNewswire/                     — The Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC) and

Monsoon                     Multimedia today jointly announced that an agreement has been  reached to                     dismiss the GPL enforcement lawsuit filed by SFLC on behalf of two  principal                     developers of BusyBox.

BusyBox is a lightweight set of standard Unix utilities commonly  used in                     embedded systems and is open source software licensed under the GNU  General                     Public License (GPL) version 2. One of the conditions of the GPL is  that                     re-distributors of BusyBox are required to ensure that each  downstream                     recipient is provided access to the source code of the program.  Monsoon                     Multimedia uses BusyBox in its HAVA TV place-shifting devices.

As a result of the plaintiffs agreeing to dismiss the lawsuit and                     reinstate Monsoon Multimedia's rights to distribute BusyBox under  the GPL,                     Monsoon Multimedia has agreed to appoint an Open Source Compliance  Officer                     within its organization to monitor and ensure GPL compliance, to  publish the                     source code for the version of BusyBox it previously distributed on  its Web                     site, and to undertake substantial efforts to notify previous  recipients of                     BusyBox from Monsoon Multimedia of their rights to the software  under the                     GPL. The settlement also includes an undisclosed amount of financial                     consideration paid by Monsoon Multimedia to the plaintiffs.

"Although we really hated having to ask our attorneys to file a  lawsuit                     to get Monsoon Multimedia to abide by the GPL, we are extremely  pleased that                     they worked so hard and so fast to come into compliance," said Rob  Landley,                     a developer of BusyBox and a named plaintiff in the lawsuit.

"Going forward, we are confident that Monsoon Multimedia will be                     upstanding members of the open source community and we wish them the                     absolute best of luck with their business," said Erik Andersen, the  other                     BusyBox developer named as a plaintiff in the lawsuit.

"We are happy to put this behind us and move forward," said  Graham                     Radstone, Chairman and Chief Operating Officer at Monsoon  Multimedia. "The                     fact that Monsoon Multimedia and BusyBox have reached an agreement  amicably                     shows that settlement is far better than costly litigation. We will  ensure                     that we are in compliance with the agreement in the future. Monsoon                     Multimedia is a highly innovative company and occupies a leading  position in                     the emerging place-shifting market; therefore it is essential that  we set an                     example for compliance for others."

The lawsuit, "Erik Andersen and Rob Landley v. Monsoon Multimedia  Inc.,"                     case number 07-CV-8205, was filed September 19th in the United  States                     District Court for the Southern District of New York.

I'm pretty sure Slingmedia isn't using Busybox otherwise they would have been sued years ago.  They're probably using another Embedded Linux Kernel for most of their hardware except for Slingcatcher.which uses Windows Embedded CE.

255909662557039 Newbie

Ok. So an update here for Linux desktops. I have a solution! I stumbled upon this completely by accident and haven't tested it yet because some compiling and patching is involved. If you would like to know the solution, please PM me or message me as I do not think this should be public just yet. For one reason, it's quite beta. Secondly, it's not officially supported by SlingMedia, who seem to not care if a Linux version is ever created.