3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2011 6:31 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

New skybox cable and pro hd set up

garybirch

Hi

Just set up with my new sky box and after a little chat with support figured out sky had changed some of their cable settings to make things difficult, hence the work around is sd pictures , has anyone got a source and cable solution to get hd working through the new sky box. Technical support heard that some users had found a way round the problem , a web address would be very handy if you have found a way round the cable issue.

• Re: New skybox cable and pro hd set up
          alanrichey42 Master

Difficult to comment as you don't tell us the make/model of box or the outputs available.   Tell us that and we might be able to help.

garybirch

Hi Alan

Ok let's see if I can expand a bit .

I have my sling box connected direct to my sky box because I then have a hdmi connection from the sky box to a Bose av system which then connects with another hdmi to a tv.

While that may nit be ideal it is stuck as a must have route due to embedded cables in Walls etc finished before the sling box installations.

So back to the problem sling box hd pro connecting direct to sky hd 500gb hd box...

Only way I could get connection after technical support was a scart connection to sky hd + box this then connected with the 3 lead red/yellow/White component cables into the appropriate colours on the sling box hd pro. This works and gives me sd pictures.

So technical support mentioned there was a work around to get hd from this new skybox to the sling box just wondered how....?

Gary

alanrichey42 Master
                  Only way I could get connection after technical support was a scart connection to sky hd + box this then connected with the 3 lead red/yellow/White component cables into the appropriate colours on the sling box hd pro. This works and gives me sd pictures.

Yes, that is the normal solution that I (and many others, have been forced to use).  Although note the red/white/yellow is 'composite' (SD) not 'component' (HD), you need to be careful not to confuse the two..

So technical support mentioned there was a work around to get hd from this new skybox to the sling box just wondered how....?

I think he was having you on.   I am 99% certain there isn't any way without opening up the box and rewiring.   The whole purpose of designing the box like that was to stop you streaming/copying protected HD video, in accordance with the HDCP guidelines.   He might be talking about the HD Fury, which will take an HDMI and output a stream on component, but that is a few hundred pounds to buy so not a 'quick & dirty'' solution..

But if you can find out, then please post it here and there will be a lot of happier Sky/Pro-HD users.