23 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2011 3:18 PM by skedgren RSS

Help with internet setup

skedgren

I bought a used Slingbox which means I don't have access to free customer support. I paid almost full price, so in hindsight, I'm wondering if I should have just bought a new one.

I was able to successfully connect to my home network, but now am having trouble getting internet viewing set up. I am using Slingbox desktop. The automatic configuration didn't work, so I am trying to do it manually. I had an old Hawking router that wasn't producing results, so I decided to try getting a new router in case that was the issue. I'm now using a Linksys wrt120n, but having no luck there either. Here is an image of what I have done to configure the port forwarding.

router.JPG

I even set my Slingbox with a static ip of 254 in case that would help.

When I work through the Setup Assistant and try to do a manual configuration, I just get the following screen.

sua.JPG

I am using Slingbox Pro HD, and Windows 7.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

• Re: Help with internet setup
          skedgren

By the way, in the SlingPlayer, I confirmed that 254 is the ip address of the Slingbox by going to the Slingbox directory, editing and clicking on the information tab.

chakkarinen Apprentice

What you are doing to forward the single port 5001 forward to 192.168.1.254 looks correct to me.  

Can you confirm that you first programmed your router to assign the IP address 192.168.1.254 to the MAC address of your Slingbox?   The MAC address should be printed on a sticker on the bottom of the Slingbox, as well as on the original box that the Slingbox was shipped in.  The instructions to do this step are shown on printed page 7 of the Linksys wrt120n manual that I found on the Linksys website.

Once you do both the static IP address assignment to the Slingbox (remember to click the "save settings" button) and the port forwarding, then if you reboot both the router and the Slingbox, the Slingbox should connect correctly (you may have to push the reset button on the back of the Slingbox once (for just one second or so) to get the Slingbox to restart its efforts to connect to your router's local area network and the wide area network through your router and modem to the Internet.

And if you log back in to your router at this point, you should see your Slingbox listed in the router's table of "clients already reserved" as described on that printed page 7 of your router manual.

Good luck, and hopefully all will work well for you after completing these steps.

alanrichey42 Master

Looks OK to me too.   But when you reach the screen you show for the Slingbox setup is there not a "Next" or "Continue" button ?  As I recall that then test to see if your port fowarding is working.

As an aside, if you skip it you can still watch remotely using SlingPlayer or WebSlingPlayer, just not on a mobile.

skedgren

Yes, there is another button. I guess I just didn't get it in the image. When I click that button, it simply recycles me through the previous steps to set up manually.

Good point about skipping it. I guess I didn't read that very carefully. It's good news that it will at least work partially. However, it also says that it may not be as reliable of a connection. If that's true, I would still like to get it working right.

Here's a related question. Does anyone know if I can install SlingPlayer on another computer when I am away from my LAN and still configure it for my SlingBox? In other words, can I connect to a Slingbox without being on the same LAN while I am doing it?

alanrichey42 Master
                          Good point about skipping it. I guess I didn't read that very carefully. It's good news that it will at least work partially. However, it also says that it may not be as reliable of a connection. If that's true, I would still like to get it working right.

I have a BT Home Hub which, like yours, has all the port forwarding done correctly, but it still fails the remote viewing test.   It's been like that for a year :-)

Here's a related question. Does anyone know if I can install SlingPlayer on another computer when I am away from my LAN and still configure it for my SlingBox? In other words, can I connect to a Slingbox without being on the same LAN while I am doing it?

Yes, that is the whole point of the Sling system.   The ONLY time you need to be on the LAN is the initial setup that you are doing, because it needs to try and talk to the router.   After that, you simply log on with any other computer anywhere in the world  and you can watch the box.

skedgren

Okay, but you said it would work in Slingplayer without setting up internet viewing. I just wondered if my install of Slingplayer on another computer would be similar to the initial setup that I am doing on this computer or if I can find my Slingbox easily on the second computer without being anywhere near it.

I just went to a truck stop and to McDonalds to try accessing my Slingbox from their free internet service. Even though I was using Slingplayer, I wasn't able to connect from either place. So at this point it doesn't look like it is sufficient to just skip setting up internet viewing. Here is the error message I received.

error.JPG

skedgren

Yes, I did assign the ip address to the MAC address of the Slingbox. Here is the image showing that the Slingbox has a reserved address.

ip.JPG

I already tried a reboot of the router and the Slingbox, but I did it again to make sure. I also just now tried pressing the reset switch on the Slingbox as you instructed, but that didn't change anything either.

Any other ideas?

BrandonC Novice

Here is what you can do to fix this.

Now that you have the static IP address and port configured in your router you need to go through the stand alone Slingplayer internet setup program.

When you get to the setup screen you need to see if it is different from what you set in your router config and if so manually set the IP address and port to what you have set the router config to.

Once you see that the slingbox manual setup info matches what you set in your router it should work.

skedgren

Is it possible that my ISP blocks port 5001? If so, how can I figure out what ports they don't block?

skedgren

I tried changing both the slingbox and the router's port forwarding to port 443, but it didn't help. I went to http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ to check for open ports, but I couldn't get their web based port checking tool to work with any port that I put in. I'm not sure what that means. I obviously don't know too much about ports.

chakkarinen Apprentice

Perhaps the built-in firewall on your computer (such as Windows Firewall, which came with my Windows 7 PC)  is blocking that third-party site from checking any open port status on your computer.   I recall that on my first attempt to watch my slingbox on Internet Explorer or Firefox, at the http://watch.slingbox.com  website, I had to first install an Active-X add-on for the Sling Viewer, then on the Windows 7 computer I had to respond to a pop-up prompt from the Firewall to STOP blocking the streaming of the signal.   Once I did both of those steps (and, I think, I had to restart the web browsers also) I was able to view the slingbox through the web interface.

I believe I had originally set up the stand-alone Sling Player software on my PCs -- including one that has never been in the same local area network as the slingbox -- and those worked correctly from the beginning -- at least once I had set up the static IP address and forwarding of port 5001.

I have seen whether other software -- including some back-door trojans and other viruses -- use port 5001.   You can read about this via a Google search.  So you might want to double-check that your computer has no infections or other software on it that are generating conflicts with your unrestricted access to port 5001.

skedgren

I have turned my Windows 7 firewall off completely to make sure it isn't interfering, so that is not the issue. Also, I installed SlingPlayer on another computer and tried to configure from there, but it doesn't work any better. So that would make other software an unlikely cause.

I thought of another potential problem. Our modem is a SpeedStream 5200 which can apparently also act as a router. Could it be blocking my ports? I tried opening ports on it, but still no luck. I'm just not sure if I did it right. The manual is here:

http://www2.windstream.net/downloads/links/SpeedStream211.pdf

The ip address of the speedstream is 192.168.254.254 by default. The address of my router is 192.168.1.1. Apparently the speedstream sees the router as being 192.168.254.1. That would mean that my Slingbox would be seen as 192.168.254.254, which would conflict with the address of the speedstream. To avoid this, I tried changing the Slingbox to 192.168.1.253. I did this on the slingbox and router. Then I forwarded port 5001 on the router and the speedstream. Still no luck. It's getting more complicated, so I'm not sure if I did everything right.

Here is an image of the port forwarding page of the modem

speedstream.JPG

I did port 55555 just to do a little test to see if I could open that port for my computer, but that doesn't seem to have worked either.

Any ideas or feedback?

Bryanod Novice

Your going thru 2 NATs.  What you want to do is forward all ports to the router ip 192.168.254.1 on the 5200.

Or place it in the DMZ if that router allows.

On the other router just forward port 5001 to the sling ip 192.168.1.254

skedgren

Now I'm kind of confused. I went on a trip this weekend and found I was able to view TV both with Slingplayer and on the website. At first I thought maybe the router, modem and Slingbox took a while to get reset correctly. But just out of curiosity I decided to run the Setup Assistant again when I got home. It still gives me the following message which tells me it did not set up correctly.

sua.JPG

Why am I getting this message? Is it setup to optimal conditions or not?

alanrichey42 Master

The message means what it says    If you read it carefully it says that it has been unable to fully setup the remote viewing so the only way to watch remotely is via Slingplayer for the PC (and by the same logic, the WebSlingPlayer for PC).  You will not be able to watch through a Mobile viewer, Slingplayer for Mac or SlingCatcher.

The logic behind that is that all of the latter viewers MUST have port forwarding completed.  In the case of Slingplayer and WebSlingplayer they have managed to implement a different method of communicating that doesn't need port forwarding (Only with later Slingboxes, not with earlier boxes).

So what you are experinceing is totally logical.

Al

skedgren

Okay, that's a good explanation. Thank you. Now, will my experience be better if I get it configured correctly?

alanrichey42 Master

Depends on your defintion of 'experience'.  You won't notice any difference on Slingplayer or WebSlingplayer, but if you have an iOS or Android or Symbian Edition 3 phone then you will be able to use those.

BrandonC Novice

It appears that you are trying to set everything up via the Stand Alone Slingplayer program.

I would recommend you use the web browser at watch@slingbox to set it up and see what it shows.

The Stand Alone program has not been updated for some time and does not know that the newer mobile devices can connect w/o a manual TCP port forward.

Try doing it through the web browser and see/post what it shows.

skedgren

When I try to do it through my web browser (Internet Explorer 8), my cursor changes to a big plus sign and then I can't click on anything. A search of the forum shows other people with the same problem. The only suggestion I saw was to switch to SlingPlayer, the stand alone program. Is there anything else I can do to make it work?