6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2011 11:50 AM by markm75 RSS

Direct Coax connection (via Cable), QAM ability like hdhomerun?

markm75

I've directly connected my coax cable to the pro hd unit.. but i cant tune in HD local stations, which i thought i would be able to.. like 4.1 etc.. at least i dont think it is working like the hdhomerun.

Also.. i thought that even if i connected the digital conversion box to the the port, it would give me everything but the locals, but i dont think that type of setup will work either, because it expects a tv inbetween, set to say Channel 3.

Should this work like an hdhomerun and tune the digital stations (HD locals) off the direct coax?

Thanks in advance

• Re: Direct Coax connection (via Cable), QAM ability like hdhomerun?
          markm75

It appears doing a full scan fixed the QAM issue..

But to achieve "cable" stations that arent on QAM, is the only way to do that via an HD tuner box.. ie: $8 per month from comcast.. as i mentioned, trying the digital converter route didnt work..

chakkarinen Apprentice

I have a splitter on the cable-from-the-wall, with one wire going directly to the Slingbox Pro-HD and the second wire going to my Cable TV box.   I can then watch the (few) HD channels that are clear QAM signals using the HD tuner in the Slingbox, and I can watch in SD all of the channels that are received by my cable box (which is SD only).  To watch ALL channels in HD thorugh the Slingbox, I would have to upgrade my cable TV service to lease their HD cable box (and replace the existing SD cable box) at a somewhat higher monthly cost.

markm75

I thought i had this setup, but apparently i cant get the HD locals, like 4.1 or 2.1 etc, off the coax directly?  I can with HDhomerun.. so is this just not possible without using an HD provided box by the cable company i take it? (the hd qam locals?)

chakkarinen Apprentice

I am able to see all of the ones that are in the clear, although I haven't figured out yet how to program the default remote control that displays on my PC screen to go to the "non-integer" sites directly.   So, to watch, for example, channel 4.1, I use the remote to go directly to channel 4, then push the up arrow button on the default PC remote to go to channel 4.1.

And I did first have to program the remote to "search" for all available channels, which took about 10 minutes to complete.   But once I finished that, I have been able to view in the Slingbox every channel that I could view when standing in front of the TV directly.

markm75

Hmm i'm not sure what is going on here, but.. here is my setup once again:

Comcast cable going directly into the slingbox antenna port.

I set the slingbox HD unit to the input mode of antenna.

I do a full scan.

Once done i have for instance, channel 7 as fox (whereas the HD would be 53.1).. i would normally have say 4.1 and 11.1 etc as well (via hd homerun)..

If i hit the up arrow on the remote from say channel 3, it goes to 4, then 5, no inbetween.

The same coax cable into the HD homerun reveals all the normal "ATSC" OTA HD stations, and none of these "SD cable" versions..

So i'm not sure what i'm missing here.